Spark

So.. at this point there are so many societies, factions and agendas that it seems almost every interesting character is hiding something which again is only hiding something which is... you get the point.

A character I haven't really read much about here (I hope I didn't miss it) is Sebarial - well, actually him and his mistress combined. I found them extremely interesting. He gives off a very Hoid-ish feel. Which I guess is easily accomplished by being witty, laid back and enjoying to see others struggle for words.

Anyways, as far as the Highprinces we know go he's one of the rather entertaining ones. And he seems rather smart on top of it. So yes, I do think there's more to him - whatever that may be. He knows to well how to keep appearances (I mean who the hell chills out during an upcoming Everstorm?) Any thoughts? Oh, and can anyone remember/quote what Jasnahs notes say about him?

Well, it might be worth noting that Sebarial might be ruined. He invested a lot of money into capital and infrastructure in a region which is being abandoned and about to be wiped out by the Everstorm - right as his factories and farms are starting to come online.

Jasnah's notes are pretty deprecating:

Dalinar turned toward a plump, bearded man in traditional clothing— an open-fronted robe over a loose shirt and warrior’s skirt, called a takama. Highprince Sebarial, Shallan thought. Jasnah’s notes dismissed him as obnoxious and useless. She’d had kinder words even for Highprince Sadeas, whom she had noted was not to be trusted.

which is actually interesting, since even Dalinar knows there's more to Sebarial:

“Roion’s flank,” Dalinar said immediately. He sensed a disaster brewing there. Speeches were all well and good, but even with Khal’s son fighting on that front , Roion’s troops were the worst he had. Teleb was supporting them with some of Sebarial’s troops, who were surprisingly good. The man himself was practically useless in a battle, but he knew how to hire the right people— and that had always been his genius. Sebarial probably assumed that Dalinar didn’t know that.

It's odd that Jasnah's assessment is so off; if it was anyone else I'd think it might be a personal grudge...

Well, it might be worth noting that Sebarial might be ruined. He invested a lot of money into capital and infrastructure in a region which is being abandoned and about to be wiped out by the Everstorm - right as his factories and farms are starting to come online.

I don't think that will be a problem for him.  There's a good chance that the factories were not destroyed by the everstorm, so there will likely be enough time for him to pack up the equipment and do a quick harvesting.

Also, the honor of helping to fulfill the vengeance pact will likely help him establish a steady stream of revenue.

Overall, I REALLY liked this guy.

It's odd that Jasnah's assessment is so off; if it was anyone else I'd think it might be a personal grudge...

I imagine this is actually just an instance in which Jasnah is not quite as adept at reading people as Shallan is. She may be a genius, but her own father reprimands her in the Prologue for being too dismissive of all others as idiots. 

As for Sebarial and Palona, they're great. I imagine they will land on their feet regardless of the setbacks of relocation/rebuilding.

I got the impression that the storm was only in the centre of the Shattered plains for now, because it was only just summoned there.

I had the same thought, but the Everstorm will eventually circle around the world and come in from the (unprotected)West which will probably ruin most agricultural stuff across the land, but then again that ought to affect every highprince and their estates. Unless offcourse the Everstorm will mellow out to a strong wind/breeze after it crossed the mountains after Jah Keved similar to the Highstorms does after the cross over to the Shin. It stands to reason the Everstorm and Highstorm are about equal in power?

This might mot be such a problem as you think.

The war camps are located in circular depressions / craters at the shattered plains so may be moderately protected from the west just as much as from the east.

Plus all the cultivated plants have built in highstorm defences naturally.

I think Sebarial will be fine.

I think the scene of Shallan picking, on the spot, to use Sebarial despite Jasnah's comments on him being useless is a way for Brandon to show that Shallan is growing into her own, independent, strengths and talents, and they are not the same as Jasnah's. A major part of this book is the focus on Shallan's "growing up" so to speak, and part of growing up is learning that your "parents" aren't perfect. Jasnah might be a great scholar and philosopher, and is very good at influencing people in general, but she has a one-size-fits-all approach. Shallan, on the other hand, is very specific, and tailors her approach to everyone individually.

I and a friend of mine were discussing this the other day, and he asked if it was possible for a returned to be re-returned, because he thought Sebarial reminded him of Lightsong (much more than a Hoidish character)... While I dont believe that is the case (to be a High Prince, you would need a pedigree), I do love how Brandon is able to write characters like this...

Sebarial was inexplicably dry during the final scene in the Everstorm.  Dalinar thought that to be pretty much impossible given the rain and wind.  Maybe he it's as simple as him having found the secret to the moisture sucking fabrials that Navani uses.  I will certainly be keeping a suspicious eye on Sebarial in the future, I think there is something very different about him.  What it is, a world hopper, herald, or whatever I don't know, but I have a feeling there is something going on with him.  

Or he just waterproofed that canopy and has a towel hidden under his chair. Of course, the only reason Paolona is staring at a soaked, illegible novel-shaped piece of paper is so everyone can see her reading a novel during the First Everstorm

Na, not buying the he's under a canopy explanation, I had thought of that too.   It's repeatedly stated that nothing stays dry in the weeping on their trip out to the center, let alone the Everstorm/Highstorm, yet Sebarial is dry.  Something is up I say.  Of course, there is no solid evidence, but like I said I'll keep my eye on Sebarial.  

Sebarial probably brought waterproofed suits just to make the highprinces stare at the fact that he's not even wet. That sure sounds a lot like him. He also could be an Edgedancer and Slicked his clothes so no water would stick to him. Chalk it up to Dalinar being stressed out and flabbergasted by Sebarial that he didn't notice the Stormlight.

As for Palona's novel, it is a miracle of the gods. *Handwaves dramatically*

Lightsong.. now that you say it...

Hm. I don't think he's a worldhopper, although that would be something else. A worldhopper so plainly out in the open instead of sort of staying in the shadows (Hoid aside).

He and Palo have a very distinct attitude. They seem less concerned with social expectations and cultural standards. Is it weird that it makes me suspicious that they DON'T seem to have an agenda? 

Lightsong.. now that you say it...

Hm. I don't think he's a worldhopper, although that would be something else. A worldhopper so plainly out in the open instead of sort of staying in the shadows (Hoid aside).

He and Palo have a very distinct attitude. They seem less concerned with social expectations and cultural standards. Is it weird that it makes me suspicious that they DON'T seem to have an agenda? 

Nope! Especially not in Words of Radiance: Everyone, no EVERYONE has an Agenda.  Being suspicious of the only people that seem to not have an agenda is quite logical/reasonable.

(Don't misunderstand, I love the book; I think it's Sanderson's best so far.  But man, there are just so many secret societies out there now!)

We have a high prince that is: A. not very good at combat or leading soldiers.  B. is highly concerned with the business and economics of his kingdom, and very good at it.  C. does not concern himself with social fashion and status  D.  seems to be demonstrating some very subtle clues about magical abilities

We could just explain D. away by saying he stole fabrials, but combined with everything else, his being dry seems to just be one more strange thing about Sebarial.  

Now that I type his name out, it seems different somehow compared to other names on roshar.  I know a lot of the names are close to symmetrical or related somehow to a heralds name, but I can't see any of that in Sebarial.  

My two cents: He's Nohadon. Here's a recent exchange between Brandon and a sycophant:

Q:  So Nohadon's still alive, right?
A:  RAFO! Why would you say that Nohadon's still alive?
Q:  I know he's still alive.
A:  Why would you say he's still alive?
Q:  It's the perfect trick, that you're gonna bring back Nohadon. It's my feeling about things.
A:  Um...

No evidence of this whatever, other than his strong leadership skills, his concern for the good of his people (economics rather than warfare), and the fact that he wears "traditional" clothing. Speculation is that he was a KR, Order unknown ("RAFO"). If KR are immortal (or close to) as is also speculated, then if he maintained his bond, he'd still be KR and alive.

My two cents: He's Nohadon. Here's a recent exchange between Brandon and a sycophant:

Q:  So Nohadon's still alive, right?

A:  RAFO! Why would you say that Nohadon's still alive?

Q:  I know he's still alive.

A:  Why would you say he's still alive?

Q:  It's the perfect trick, that you're gonna bring back Nohadon. It's my feeling about things.

A:  Um...

No evidence of this whatever, other than his strong leadership skills, his concern for the good of his people (economics rather than warfare), and the fact that he wears "traditional" clothing. Speculation is that he was a KR, Order unknown ("RAFO"). If KR are immortal (or close to) as is also speculated, then if he maintained his bond, he'd still be KR and alive.

That's a cool idea, but I'm pretty sure Sebarial appeared in The Way of Kings (not by name though) and Brandon said that we didn't see any of the past Radiants in The Way of Kings.

Does Sebarial remind anyone else of Harry King of the Golden River? 

May not be great at any job, but surrounds himself with people who are.

Always plays the long game.

Plays the game of politics better than his foes, while seeming to not be playing at all.

Knows a Tosheroon when he sees one (Shallan :))

Lightflame, my memory is faulty: did Sebarial actually appear or was he just referenced as the fellow who liked to dress his soldiers in traditional garb? (The perils of reading hardcopy - no search capability...) Also, where is that WoB?

Lightflame, my memory is faulty: did Sebarial actually appear or was he just referenced as the fellow who liked to dress his soldiers in traditional garb? (The perils of reading hardcopy - no search capability...) Also, where is that WoB?

I'm not sure.

See, I looked it up, and it mentions all nine Highprinces being together, but it doesn't mention Sebarial by name. I would think that being among the Highprinces would count as making an appearance, but Brandon may think differently.

He could be Ishar though. He has the beard.

Also, I have physical copies of the books as well, but you can use Google Books to search through the entire text of books, including The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. Then, when you find references to words, you can go to those words in the text to get full context.