Who is Devlin Airs?

Solarserpent

• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2018 at 7:36 PM, Solarserpent said:

Is Devlin Airs from Bands of Mourning part of the Set? Or is he a Worldhopper? He knows too much about the Set to just be a information broker. I think he's a worldhopper who's been on scadrial for a while. 

He may well be a worldhopper.  I always assumed he was.  There is nothing directly in the book or on arcunum that gives any real information on him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 0:07 AM, Honorless said:

Remember Slowswift? from Era 1

Not every hyper-competent informant needs to be a Worldhopper, they are a staple of multiple genres

I disagree. Something about him felt off; he seemed to know things he couldn’t know about.

Snowswift did not strike me as knowing things he shouldn’t be able to know. Also, Snowswift was Professor Tolkien.

40 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I disagree. Something about him felt off; he seemed to know things he couldn’t know about.

Snowswift did not strike me as knowing things he shouldn’t be able to know. Also, Snowswift was Professor Tolkien.

I disagree. He knew things that anyone of his profession, if they were competent enough, could come to know of an operation of the scale that was being conducted in the New Seran region, the entire village/town of Dulsing was taken over by the Set.

I am aware that Slowswift was a J.R.R. Tolkien cameo. This just further supports my point with Brandon having already written a character in a similar role.

Edited by Honorless

5 hours ago, Honorless said:

I am aware that Slowswift was a J.R.R. Tolkien cameo. This just further supports my point with Brandon having already written a character in a similar role.

OK, so thought experiment - if Devlin Airs was meant to be a cameo of another fantasy writer hero, who might he be? Roger Zelazny?

I was going to speculate about him being with the GBs, but I'm going to be careful about spoilers for other Cosmere series in the MB forum now :).

39 minutes ago, robardin said:

OK, so thought experiment - if Devlin Airs was meant to be a cameo of another fantasy writer hero, who might he be? Roger Zelazny?

I was going to speculate about him being with the GBs, but I'm going to be careful about spoilers for other Cosmere series in the MB forum now :).

Maybe someone similarly big name? Arthur Conan Doyle?

6 hours ago, Honorless said:

I disagree. He knew things that anyone of his profession, if they were competent enough, could come to know of an operation of the scale that was being conducted in the New Seran region, the entire village/town of Dulsing was taken over by the Set.

But the way he presented them was unusual.  He seemed detached.  It is as if he new that this war was just one of many on many planets.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:36 PM, Solarserpent said:

Is Devlin Airs from Bands of Mourning part of the Set? Or is he a Worldhopper? He knows too much about the Set to just be a information broker. I think he's a worldhopper who's been on scadrial for a while. 

Felt, the Kandra worldhopper, the Rosharan worldhopper, a new world hopper, of which this is their first appearance; another author cameo, just a really good information broker. I have no idea, and didn't question it too much (but I agree he was pretty interesting). I think someone asked Brandon this on Reddit earlier this week. 

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Scadrian Truthwatcher said:

I believe Brandon has denied that Devlin is a worldhopper. Also, if Slowswift wasn’t a worldhopper, he was at least Cosmere-aware.

Slowswift only became Cosmere aware after someone altered the Mistborn texts. So we can’t trust that obviously.

I don’t think Devlin is a worldhopper. I think he’s working for Kelsier. Devlin definitely knows things he shouldn’t though, like the Set’s timeline.

Nice necroing!

16 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Slowswift only became Cosmere aware after someone altered the Mistborn texts. So we can’t trust that obviously.

I don’t think Devlin is a worldhopper. I think he’s working for Kelsier. Devlin definitely knows things he shouldn’t though, like the Set’s timeline.

Nice necroing!

Wait someone altered the Mistborn texts? What was changed?

Devl in Airs. It's wordplay. Boom, he's clearly a Worldhopping Voidspren. :P

I'm obviously kidding.

I tend to agree with @Kingsdaughter613 that I get Kelsier vibes here.

He trades in secrets:

“Devlin Airs,” Steris said with a nod. “Informant. You’ll find his sort at any party. He’s either one of the least important people in the room or one of the most important, depending upon the secrets you’re interested in discovering."

He expects Wax, a major player in the events on Scadrial these days, to be arrogant, and is surprised when he's not. Spending time around Kel might make someone expect arrogance from someone like Wax.

He tries to push Wax to question what's out there beyond the Elendel Basin and the Roughs. Indeed, he seems concerned with putting money behind the exploration of things beyond.

He talks about Kelesina using metaphors about predator/prey.

And he says he's planning to "get out"

I mean, could be nothing, But if he's something beyond what he appears, seems most likely to be tied to Kel.

Lastly, mild Stormlight spoiler:

Spoiler

Because I'm programmed now to suspect Sleepless every time someone/something "scuttles," I'll note that when Devlin walks away, here's how it's described: He walked away, snapping his fingers as he passed a few people. One of them scuttled off to follow him.

Edited by mdross81

21 minutes ago, mdross81 said:

Devl in Airs. It's wordplay. Boom, he's clearly a Worldhopping Voidspren. :P

I'm obviously kidding.

I tend to agree with @Kingsdaughter613 that I get Kelsier vibes here.

He trades in secrets:

He expects Wax, a major player in the events on Scadrial these days, to be arrogant, and is surprised when he's not. Spending time around Kel might make someone expect arrogance from someone like Wax.

He tries to push Wax to question what's out there beyond the Elendel Basin and the Roughs. Indeed, he seems concerned with putting money behind the exploration of things beyond.

He talks about Kelesina using metaphors about predator/prey.

And he says he's planning to "get out"

I mean, could be nothing, But if he's something beyond what he appears, seems most likely to be tied to Kel.

Lastly, mild Stormlight spoiler:

Hide contents

Because I'm programmed now to suspect Sleepless every time someone/something "scuttles," I'll note that when Devlin walks away, here's how it's described: He walked away, snapping his fingers as he passed a few people. One of them scuttled off to follow him.

I’m also suspicious of the Demoux nephew at that party. We already had Khriss and Hoid there, the descendants of a known worldhopper, so NOT having one of Kell’s people around would be odder than having one.