How do you think the Nahel Bond would be effected by a Knight Radiant traveling through space? 

I assume a spren like Syl would be more okay with traveling, and I feel it is implied that Willshapers and Lightspren potentially travel all over, but what if Dalinar had to board a spaceship and leave, would he still be connected enough to the Stormfather to benefit from the bond? Could the Stormfather travel?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If the Stormfather were on a space station large enough to contain him, could they power it with stormlight and all Radiants always have plenty of power (while on the ship or whatever)?

Any other thoughts about the Knight Radiant Orders in space??

I get the feeling that the majority of his power and salience travels with the highstorm especially after his comment to dalinar about only seeing stuff where a highstorm is. I could be wrong though.

Questioner

Does the spren have to be present for a Surgebinder to have their abilities? Because with Dalinar, the Stormfather won’t be around all the time...

Brandon Sanderson

Good Question! Fortunately, the Stormfather is a little more omnipresent. Normally you’re gonna have to have your spren close, but the Stormfather absorbed... is basically Honor’s cognitive shadow, which means he’s got a connection to a lot of different things, so he’s not bound by a lot of the rules that others are.

source

So the Stormfather is now more omnipresent and less localized then other spren, but I suspect you would still have issues with leaving the Roshar system.

42 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

it's generally hard for spren to leave the area around Roshar, due to the fact that the power of Honor and Cultivation which spawned them is strongly anchored there. There are ways to do it but it's non-trivial.

I thought that only applied for travel through the cognitive realm. It might be easier to travel via space than CR.

It would still apply for physical travel I think. Much less so if they were in a physical form. 

This WoB implies though that we should be questioning what happens just when they circumnavigate the globe, not just leave. 

Questioner 1

You said that moving people like that [Cognitive Shadows] or spren off-world, from Roshar is difficult.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner 1

What about physically, say the Ones Above visit them, and they fly away?

Brandon Sanderson

So one of the things you'll have to be asking questions and theorizing on is what happens if you try to carry a spren around the planet. What happens to their Cognitive sense, right? So you're on Roshar, right? So on the Physical Realm what would happen-- Because on Shadesmar, you have a flattened version. So there are questions for you to be theorizing implicit in that.  And one of them is, what happens, you cross a threshold circling the globe, your spren, what happens to them? Because-- Okay? This relates to the question you’re asking.

Questioner 2

Wait wait, you have a three dimensional plain coexisting with a two dimensional plain?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, two dimensional is the wrong term, but basically...

Questioner 3

Can you specify the mathematically projection used to create this? *laughter*

Brandon Sanderson

We'll try to give it to you eventually, but this is the sort of stuff that I do that Peter's like "Oh man..." *laughter* "Alright give me the math Peter." "Ahhh what do you mean? I'm not a mathematician." "Eh, y'know. You're close." It is very convenient to have a physicist and a mathematician in my writing group.

source

2 minutes ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

Good point. I guess it's possible but not easy(at least for now) I'm not sure the stormfather could leave or what that would do to Roshar if he left....

Considering he's the source of stormlight, it would probably mean ecological collapse. 

Narkac

Where does the Stormlight in highstorms come from? Is there like a "rain cycle", but for the Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

The Stormlight in the highstorm is transferred from the Spiritual realm through the Stormfather into the highstorm.

source

On 8/1/2018 at 8:39 AM, Steel Inqusitive said:

That was my original impression as well, but as I think about it I believe there's a wob saying that the gravitation surge could be used for space travel easily. which if the radiant couldn't take his spren with him that doesn't make sense.

That's actually exactly why I mentioned Syl in my initial comment. I read that WoB and had already been thinking about Mistborn space travel duriny reread. 

I understand a lot of it would be possible yet difficult, so I guess I kinda had an underlying assumption that the KR in question had it figured out, not JUST a passenger. And the omnipresent WoB got me thinking about Dalinar space traveling so I started wondering about all of it and the Nahel Bond through Space and all. 

I also have been assuming that Willshapers would have the ability to, theoretically, travel the Cosmere and their spren would need to be there and all. 

I appreciate the thoughts and feed back! Fun stuff!

I also found it odd that whenever Brandon is asked about using KR surges in space, the only limitation he mentions (that I've noticed) is the running out of Stormlight. Which had me think maybe the spren wouldn't be as weakened as we'd think

I think if you could find a way to separate the stormfather and the highstorm so that they both could function without the other then the stormfather could totally go to space(which might make surgebinding the most powerful magic in cosmere if stormfather could provide stormlight without highstorm.) 

And totally agree about willshapers! Seems like their thing, so to speak.

Edited by Steel Inqusitive

1 hour ago, CrazyRioter said:

So the Stormfather is now more omnipresent and less localized then other spren, but I suspect you would still have issues with leaving the Roshar system.

Whaaaattt? Thats news to me. Is Stormfather floating around the spiritual realm most of the time?

How did Stormfather Bondsmiths even operate pre Recreance?

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Stormfather in Space??
  • Chaos locked this topic