Your fantasy introduction

Quiver

I often tried many many different paths, just to read all the possible adventures.

Huhu, I did the exact same thing, it would have been a waste to miss one page  ;)

But you have a better memory than mine, I don't recall any of the titles! I did not know about re-edition, but sometimes I find an old copy at the flea market and I buy it, for the sake of old time (and I am still unable not to cheat :D )

And yes, I am French (actually, I am Swiss but I live in the French speaking part of the country), I take that you are French-speaking too?

Speaking about French, there is a French guy that makes "Livre dont vous êtes le héros" on Youtube, with the same concept: you watch the vidéo and you choose which link to pick to continue the story. If you want to give it a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdMTJPqFojM&index=29&list=LLpo2lz2E98C60NxI4_aXbgQ

For the Lone Wolf fans out there, I've just discovered Project Aon. If you've not heard of it before, go take a look. All of the Lone Wolf books are available to download, with the author's permission. The link is in English, but if you go to Google and search 'Project Aon', there are a couple of different languages to choose from.

Huhu, I did the exact same thing, it would have been a waste to miss one page  ;)

But you have a better memory than mine, I don't recall any of the titles! I did not know about re-edition, but sometimes I find an old copy at the flea market and I buy it, for the sake of old time (and I am still unable not to cheat :D )

And yes, I am French (actually, I am Swiss but I live in the French speaking part of the country), I take that you are French-speaking too?

Speaking about French, there is a French guy that makes "Livre dont vous êtes le héros" on Youtube, with the same concept: you watch the vidéo and you choose which link to pick to continue the story. If you want to give it a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdMTJPqFojM&index=29&list=LLpo2lz2E98C60NxI4_aXbgQ

In "Les Grottes de Kalte", I would always choose the path that enabled me to keep my Kai dog along with me  :ph34r: I remember the titles of those I read the most times... I must have read each and single Lone Wolf book, the early ones from 1 to 12, at least a dozen times each if not more  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: And it is not the same if you do not cheat  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

03_grottes_kalte.jpg

I still have a few in boxes somewhere... I haven't try re-reading them though... They are in a sorry state :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: My sister had the full collection and probably still do. I may buy the whole lot for my kids. 

Yes, I am French, but from Montreal, Canada. 

For the Lone Wolf fans out there, I've just discovered Project Aon. If you've not heard of it before, go take a look. All of the Lone Wolf books are available to download, with the author's permission. The link is in English, but if you go to Google and search 'Project Aon', there are a couple of different languages to choose from.

This is neat.. The even had Lone Wolf figurines  :huh:  I must this is not how I pictured Lone Wolf.... He was somewhat more... handsome?  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Edited by maxal

I was first exposed through the Redwall series, which my older brother showed me in elementary school. I wasn't necesesarily looking for fantasy, but just something with a lot of pages, since I tended to read fast back then and skim past a lot of the details. Anyone that knows an elementary student without enough material to read should direct them towards Redwall, since there are well over twenty books by now (I think) and they very well designed for that age group through middle school and beyond.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was Narnia. My dad worked shifts and when he was on nights my mum would let my sister and I sleep in the big bed with her and we'd have a chapter of a Narnia book together before going to sleep - so there are really happy, positive associations for me. I have loved reading them with my own children too. After that it was LotR - although not the Silmarillion or The Children of Hurin until I was an adult. Actually, I hadn't read the Hobbit until I was an adult either until my husband bought it to read to our children and was horrified to hear that I had never got around to reading it. So I did.  

I loved Terry Pratchett Discworld novels and went through a phase of reading one daily when I was a teenager! I was allowed access to the A-level English reading cupboard when I was 14 (containing the set texts for the students studying for their English Literature A-level at 18) thanks to an enthusiastic English teacher who wanted to challenge and stretch me. That's when I discovered Margaret Atwood's Handmaid Tale and discovered that I quite like dystopian fantasy that deals in real world politics. I was really excited when I got to teach it to my A-level class as one of their set texts. I loved how they responded to the end - they were so cross because they were so engaged with it! I love Oryx and Crake and its sequel too. I don't think they fall in to true fantasy but I'm not one for genres much. I read what looks interesting.

Of course, honourable mention to Harry Potter but I'm another one who is too old to claim the boy wizard as my entree to the world of fantasy. I was in my twenties when they were published.

Mine was Narnia. My dad worked shifts and when he was on nights my mum would let my sister and I sleep in the big bed with her and we'd have a chapter of a Narnia book together before going to sleep - so there are really happy, positive associations for me. I have loved reading them with my own children too. After that it was LotR - although not the Silmarillion or The Children of Hurin until I was an adult. Actually, I hadn't read the Hobbit until I was an adult either until my husband bought it to read to our children and was horrified to hear that I had never got around to reading it. So I did.  

I loved Terry Pratchett Discworld novels and went through a phase of reading one daily when I was a teenager! I was allowed access to the A-level English reading cupboard when I was 14 (containing the set texts for the students studying for their English Literature A-level at 18) thanks to an enthusiastic English teacher who wanted to challenge and stretch me. That's when I discovered Margaret Atwood's Handmaid Tale and discovered that I quite like dystopian fantasy that deals in real world politics. I was really excited when I got to teach it to my A-level class as one of their set texts. I loved how they responded to the end - they were so cross because they were so engaged with it! I love Oryx and Crake and its sequel too. I don't think they fall in to true fantasy but I'm not one for genres much. I read what looks interesting.

Of course, honourable mention to Harry Potter but I'm another one who is too old to claim the boy wizard as my entree to the world of fantasy. I was in my twenties when they were published.

Oryx and Crake!!! I absolutely loved this book. I dunno if it would classify as fantasy, but it sure is dystopian and a rather good one at that. For once, a dystopian book written by an adult for adults despite featuring teenage characters. I was a really good one, thank you for mentioning it.

Mine was Dragonlance Chronicles. Awful books by today's standards but to a tweenage boy that got me interested.

oh so many books that I describe that way these days.  middle school and high school me was just happy to have something to read.