Can the Soul-Forged Ashravan travel?

As Aons are less strong in power the further an Elantrian gets from Elantris, I would assume the further from MaiPon that Shai gets, the harder it would be for her to do Forgery.

The AonDor magic we see performed in the story of Elantris are the "one shot" type, producing a possibly massive effect, like teleporting Raoden from Elantris to Teod... From where he found it much, much harder to perform the reverse magic due to the distance. But from other examples, it seems the "ongoing effects" of Selish magic don't weaken with distance - the magic is "locked in". Like how the Dakhor monks apparently needed to be... Dakhor-ized in Fjordell, but could use the powers so acquired in Arelon, Teod, and elsewhere. So I assume a Forged object, like a painting, could be moved arbitrarily far.

But could the Soul-Forged version of Ashravan travel outside the Rose Empire, into the Cognitive Realm, etc.? I think his Forged soul would travel just fine, but would his daily "re-stamping" get more difficult or become impossible to do with X distance from MaiPon? Or was the act of creation that needed to be done in or near MaiPon the making of the soulstamp, and using the stamp is arbitrarily portable (even though "refreshing" the stamp seems like it should be a new pull of Investiture)? 

Edited by robardin

He could most likely travel all throughout the third of Sel on which the Rose Empire resides. 

In Arelon the stamps would fail. We see no stamped items in Elantris. 

Viper (paraphrased)

Aons look like Arelon; soulstamps look like MaiPon. Aons get weaker when you get further from Arelon, right? That's not just cause Elantris acts like a focus?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

That's right, it's based on distance. That's why there are no stamped objects in Elantris.

Viper (paraphrased)

So do soulstamps get weaker further from MaiPon? If you left Sel via Shadesmar and went to another planet, would the soulstamp stop working?

That's correct.

Viper (paraphrased)

Could soulstamps be carved that used Arelon as a base form instead of MaiPon?

That's very interesting, isn't it?

source

"That's why there are no stamped objects in Elantris." 

So not only does the "stamping" act of Forgery require proximity to MaiPon, but the ongoing effect of the stamping? I thought at least for an object, once "locked in" the seal would remain (they don't require restamping like a person's soul does). Or perhaps it's just that inanimate objects do require restamping, just so infrequently that the timescale is beyond a person's notice.

So even something like a Forged vase would unravel if taken too far away from The Rose Empire? Yet the effects of Dakhor "warping" are permanent and portable. I guess we'll learn more about Drakhor in the next Sel/Elantris book, whenever that comes out.

Edited by robardin

38 minutes ago, robardin said:

So even something like a Forged vase would unravel if taken too far away from The Rose Empire? Yet the effects of Dakhor "warping" are permanent and portable. I guess we'll learn more about Drakhor in the next Sel/Elantris book, whenever that comes out.

The bone runes seem to degrade less... But they are subject to this as well.

Also remember that the comparison we have to Dakhor is to Aons, which we normally see through the artificial cost provided by Elantris. I think the base level of Aons is closer to what we see in Teod and that both Dakhor and Aons have a similar range, it just seems like a steeper drop-off because of the boost. 

Brightlord Maelstrom

When a Dakhor monk leaves his homeland do his bones still give him his abilities? Is it only the creation that's location-dependent or is it also the ability that's location-dependent?

Brandon Sanderson

The further you get away, the weaker the power the bones will give you will get. It's way better than Elantris at bringing the power with you. That's where it is in the notes right now, I have not written the second book, I could totally change that.

source

54 minutes ago, robardin said:

"That's why there are no stamped objects in Elantris." 

So not only does the "stamping" act of Forgery require proximity to MaiPon, but the ongoing effect of the stamping? I thought at least for an object, once "locked in" the seal would remain (they don't require restamping like a person's soul does). Or perhaps it's just that inanimate objects do require restamping, just so infrequently that the timescale is beyond a person's notice.

Stamping requires a constant trickle or flow of investiture to keep them going against the actual history of the object or person. So taking them too far from MaiPon, the stamp would eventually break and revert.

• Chaos locked this topic