Sel's Cognitive Realm

This would be the one. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Can you describe what Shadesmar looks like on either Nalthis or Sel.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yeah. On Sel? Looks like a big old storm that will destroy you. More than a storm, it's like a big pressurized-- it's like plasma, almost. It is really dangerous. Really dangerous. That 'cause the Dor is hanging out there.

source

When Odium Splintered Dominion and Devotion, he crammed their power into the Cognitive Realm to keep the power from gaining sentience or someone Ascending. So Sel's Cognitive Realm is like a giant plasma storm that has a good chance of destroying anyone who approaches it. Cal got that one, it looks like.

Questioner

The two Shards on Sel were kind of pressed into the Cognitive Realm. Is that what makes travel there so difficult?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Because you usually travel through the Cognitive Realm. WELL that's not exactly what you want to be doing on Sel.

source

sufficientlyadvanced

It says that it's dangerous to travel to Shadesmar on Sel. Why?

Brandon Sanderson

It has to do with the Dor and the lack of an entity controlling much of the power Odium left in his wake on Sel.

Phantine

Woah, that's interesting. I had no idea Odium left little bits of his power on Sel... I guess it kinda makes sense for evil monks to be powered by pure hate, though.

Brandon Sanderson

Odium did not leave his power behind, one should note. He left several other powers which are now, to a large extent, mindless...

Windrunner

If you wouldn't mind answering, does Roshar have a similar problem, with Honor being Splintered?

Brandon Sanderson

No, Roshar does not have the same problem. There are some differences going on. (One reason being that the spren are far more extensive on Roshar, and provide something of a "release valve." The seons and the skaze on Sel are not numerous enough to fulfill a similar function. Though, of course, that's only one part of the puzzle. Raw power is dangerous.

It's one reason everyone should be thankful Kelsier was around on Scadrial.

source

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Odium locked the Selish Shards in the Cognitive Realm to keep them from achieving sentience or someone Ascending.

Footnote: taken from General Q&A
source

2 hours ago, RShara said:

sufficientlyadvanced

It says that it's dangerous to travel to Shadesmar on Sel. Why?

Brandon Sanderson

It has to do with the Dor and the lack of an entity controlling much of the power Odium left in his wake on Sel.

Phantine

Woah, that's interesting. I had no idea Odium left little bits of his power on Sel... I guess it kinda makes sense for evil monks to be powered by pure hate, though.

Brandon Sanderson

Odium did not leave his power behind, one should note. He left several other powers which are now, to a large extent, mindless...

Windrunner

If you wouldn't mind answering, does Roshar have a similar problem, with Honor being Splintered?

Brandon Sanderson

No, Roshar does not have the same problem. There are some differences going on. (One reason being that the spren are far more extensive on Roshar, and provide something of a "release valve." The seons and the skaze on Sel are not numerous enough to fulfill a similar function. Though, of course, that's only one part of the puzzle. Raw power is dangerous.

It's one reason everyone should be thankful Kelsier was around on Scadrial.

@RShara Does that mean Ruin was going to do the same thing to Preservation if Kelsier didn't do what he did?

Edited by Invocation

10 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Does that mean Ruin was going to do the same thing to Preservation if Kelsier didn't do what he did?

It is suspected that Ruin may have attempted that. Right before his death, Fuzz exclaimed that Ruin would splinter his power, so he was clearly afraid of that happening. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Ruin would know how to or would have been capable of doing so. Odium had to figure out how to do it himself. His attempt to splinter Dev and Dom were apparently crude compared to what he did with Honor and Ambition. 

Another important difference to note is that Odium took Dev and Dom's spiritual power and stuffed that into the Cogntitive Realm, but he doesn't appear to have done that with Honor, which is another reason Roshar's Cognitive realm doesn't have Honor's power spilling out, because it is still presumably in the spiritual realm

Argent [PENDING REVIEW]

I thought, like, at one of the signings you told me that when Odium was on Sel and Splintered the Shards there, the reason he did the Cognitive Realm hack was because he was not yet experienced in Splintering stuff.

Right. He did not want what happened to happen, but he didn't know that he didn't want what happened to happen.

Argent [PENDING REVIEW]

What I was getting at is, I could never find a recording of you saying "He was not experienced. He didn't want the power to be taken by anyone, and that's the only solution he could figure out." Does that sound like something you would say?

That is something I would say, yes. There are better ways to do what he wanted to do, which he later did a better job with. But there's not a lot of experimenting he could do.

Argent [PENDING REVIEW]

Limited number of subjects, right?

Mmhmm.

source

Would it be realistic to assume the action is more than just a brute force "shoving" of the energy, or would all Shards theoretically be capable of doing that?

Side note: could you take it a step further and shove it all into the Physical Realm? How bad would that be?

18 hours ago, Invocation said:

Side note: could you take it a step further and shove it all into the Physical Realm? How bad would that be?

I imagine it would be like bringing the Sun to earth, or a never-ending highstorm made of plasma, whatever metaphor is more horrifying.

22 hours ago, Unlicensed Hemalurgist said:

I imagine it would be like bringing the Sun to earth, or a never-ending highstorm made of plasma, whatever metaphor is more horrifying.

What if you did that to a Shard in space? Like, say... Ambition's mortal wound forming the Red Rip?

On 7/31/2018 at 4:09 PM, Invocation said:

What if you did that to a Shard in space? Like, say... Ambition's mortal wound forming the Red Rip?

Well, we know that red means a shard is trying to impose their will on the investiture of another shard, right? So it seems more likely that there's another shard actively trying to attack Scadrial, no?

33 minutes ago, tmnsquirtle said:

Well, we know that red means a shard is trying to impose their will on the investiture of another shard, right? So it seems more likely that there's another shard actively trying to attack Scadrial, no?

The Red Tear, or Red Rip, Invocation is referring to is a red star constellation visible from several planet, not the the red mist around Scadrial.

And keep in mind, red is a sign of investiture corruption, but that doesn't mean that something red is corrupted. 

On 7/29/2018 at 9:29 PM, Invocation said:

@RShara Does that mean Ruin was going to do the same thing to Preservation if Kelsier didn't do what he did?

Have you read Secret History? Spoilers

Spoiler

When Leras was dying, he exclaimed that Ruin was trying to Splinter him. So yes, I'd say that it was fairly likely that the same thing would have happened to Preservation.

On 7/31/2018 at 3:09 PM, Invocation said:

I don't think the Red Rip is Ambition or her mortal wound or anything like that. If you look at the constellation chart in AU, you can see the red stars that form that constellation. It can be seen from Scadrial and Roshar.

• Chaos locked this topic