[OB] Where did the Listeners acquire their shardblades

At the beginning of WoK the Alethi first encountered the Listeners, who they dubbed the parshendi . At this time the parshendi had no shardbearers. Jasnah confirmed this by her conversation with Dalinar in WoK . In WoR we find out after 6 years of battle Eshonai is the last Parshendi shard bearer.. so sometime after Gavilar death and the beginning of the Vengence Pact the Singers found a cache of shardblade . If you remember the Singers learned Alethi rapidly and the first question they asked was to see the Alethi maps. So did Ulim Who was around back then “ he was the voice that told Klade to buy Szeth. Tell the singers about a city where they could find shards? The most obvious answer is Urithiru . The Singers beat them ( alethi their long ago ) and took all the shards . Szeth could of took them thru the Oathgate. Maybe that is what he meant when he said he had seen this before when shallan activated the Oathgare. I assumed it was someone in Shinovar that went there but it could of been the singers guided by Ulim . What do you guys think ? Where did they get all those sets of shards??

Szeth wasn't with them beyond Kholinar, and dead blades can't activate an Oathgate. 

I think they got them from Narak. Blades left behind in Stormseat doesn't seem unlikely. And I doubt they chose a place they'd never visited to hole up. 

Edited by Calderis

Per Gavilar's biography, he thought the Listeners had shardblades from the first moment he had met them, (well?) before the Vengeance Pact and his death.

The doorway to the Oathgate center was sealed by decades, if not centuries, of crem. I doubt anyone else had been through there previously. 

I agree with Cal, they probably find them in the ruins of Narak. 

They had the Shards before they met Gavilar and the humans. 
In Oathbringer's prelude, Eshonai mentions that the listeners initially thought that their Shards, which they kept hidden from the humans.

I suppose they kept these Shards for generations, since the Recreace or just after, since lots of Blades and Plates got lost since then. 

Edited by Maísa

For reference:, a conversation between Jasnah and Shallan in Way of Kings:

I can’t be certain. However, he once described the strange actions of a Parshendi warrior during a chasmfiend hunt. Instead of reaching for his spear when the greatshell appeared, this man held his hand to the side in a very suspicious way. Only my father saw it; I suspected he believed the man planned to summon a Blade. The Parshendi realized what he was doing, and stopped himself. My father didn’t speak of it further, and I assume he didn’t want the world’s eyes on the Shattered Plains any more than they already were.

So they clearly had Shardblades and were familar with their use long before they and the Alethi stumbled into one another.

As for where they got them, Narak/Stormseat is the most likely. We know they have weapons of far finer manufacture than their apparent level of culture suggests, some inscribed with writing that look like glyphs (which we know have evolved over time) and one that Kaladin examines had an engraving of a Radiant. Some Radiants during the Recreance could have chosen to break their oaths there, at a location that reminded them of the dangers of Surgebinding and one of their reasons for their oathbreaking. Alternatively, the listeners found their shards en route to the Shattered Plains as they fled from wherever they were originally based, around the same time as the False Desolation and the Recreance.

Edited by Weltall

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Where did the Listeners acquire their shardblades
  • Chaos locked this topic