Alleyverse Characters

Archer

OP character approval  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Legend (Page 89) be approved?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

I think you can make characters from both points in time. The point about corruption makes sense though, although I'm not sure how someone who is basically an infinite blood bank can destroy a hospital (except perhaps by flooding the place with blood).

Is it too early to submit my era three character?

Spoiler

Name: He hasn't decided on a good one.  Mostly just wants to be called 'Most holy', or 'Returned'.

Investiture:  One divine breath (being a returned).

Appearence:  Very tall, about 6' 4", and is a rather large man.  He has a perfect physique, being a returned.  He has long blond hair that frame a blunt face that looks like it got punched too many times.  No one would describe him as good-looking, but he's not precisely ugly.  

Skills:  With infinite time, he's mastered pretty much every weapon in the cosmere.  His perfect physique and ability to learn quickly helped, but he's still at a disadvantage with no usable investiture.  He's also masters many skills that go well with combat, such as woodsman... skill, stealth, healing, strategy, and others like that.  He has mastered the true patterns of swordsmanship, from infinity blade.

Weakness:  Has a code of honor which prevents him from doing certain things.  Code of honor:

Spoiler

I will not kill unnecessarily

I will not harm those to whom I am sworn (which happens to be nobody currently)

I will not harm others purely for the advancement of my motives

I will only kill in war, when I am required to defend myself, or when the man I kill is convicted by Alleyverse law

I will not take undue advantage of anybody's ignorance or weakness

I will defend those who cannot defend themselves, except those that have been convicted by Alleyverse law, or are being fought in a war

I will not lie (but I'll probably take serious liberties with the truth)

Also, has a one-time power (to quote a phrase) and can't influence the world around him with his investiture.  Has a very severe weakness to poisons.  Even minor poisons would bring about his death.

Personality:  Is very blunt, and doesn't like to lie.  He tells you what he thinks, and doesn't reserve his opinion because he's afraid he'll hurt someone.  Aside from that, he's very affable, and most people who get to know him genuinely like him.  Has a darker side, which is a more intense side.  He conceals this and channels into his sense of honor.

Backstory:  He returned on Nalthis when Suesbron was god king.  He found his life to be lacking substance, and tried to find something to occupy his time.  He found weapons training to be satisfying, so he went to the other Returned to seek assistance.  One would think, that with infinite time, at least some of them would be worth something, but he found most of them to be worthless fops.  He then realized that the entire pantheon was a waste of time, and left to seek training.  He found a hermit named Handret who was skilled beyond any human he had yet encountered, and this man did most of his training in Nalthian weapons.  During this time, he received breaths from the hermit––only one a week, just enough to survive on––who seemed to have a suspiciously large repertoire.  He discovered worldhopping, and made it to Roshar, where Vasher trained him in Rosharan weapons.  On Roshar, he was pleased to find another returned, and used stormlight to stay alive.  He made it to Scadrial, where an ancient and rather eccentric feruchemist trained him. This feruchemists filled small nicrosil minds for him to swallow and stay alive, but as it was, he became dangerously behind on breaths.  He was only able to stock up after a brief return to Roshar.  During his travels, he met other worldhoppers, who trained him in non-weapon related skills such as worldhopping, and travel skills.  His travels ranged throughout the entire cosmere until he stumbled upon the Alleyplanet(?).  There, he received training in firearms and other weapons that the cosmere lacks.  Now he resides in the Diagramist headquarters as the head of the guild.

I originally thought about using a deathless, from infinity blade, but I decided a returned would be more widely known.  I hope it's not too OP, but the fact that a mildly skilled surgebinder or mistborn would be able to survive an encounter with him (maybe) is evidence to the contrary.  I did throw in some stuff from infinity blade anyway, because it was too good to pass over.

Edited by King Taravangian
Why do I even need a reason? I don't answer to you!

19 minutes ago, King Taravangian said:

I originally thought about using a deathless, from infinity blade

You've read Infinity Blade? I haven't, so I've been looking or people who have to tell me what its magic system is like. The IB wiki just lumps everything together, game and novella. 

As for your character, yes, you may submit it now. But it may not be officially approved until later. 

Name: Hasn't decided on a good one.

What would you like me to put on the list beside your name? eg. @King Taravangian Returned

Investiture: None

I'd like you to put down 'Returned' as his investiture. Alternatively, 'One divine breath'. Also put any extra breaths he has, the ones he got from the man. That's important for determining his power level.

He's also masters many skills that go well with combat, such as woodcraft and stealth.

"Oh no! Attackers! Quick, Returned, lathe us some chair legs!" I know what you mean, but thought that was funny. 

Weakness:  No unique powers to speak of.  He also has a code, and a pesky sense of honor, which is kind of a weakness.  Not very good at playing a role or pretense.

I'd like to see you challenge yourself. First, expand upon the limitations of his code. Then, I'd like to see some other weaknesses to develop his character and balance his power more. I don't understand what you mean by 'no unique powers'. 

Here he survived by eating metal, and seizing the investiture from it.

I'm not sure that's possible. We have a WOB that says they can do it with stormlight, but I've never heard of them doing it with metals. This is the relevant WoB which implies you could, but one would need to look into the mechanics of how investiture on Scadrial works to confirm that. 

Jamester86

Would the rate at which a [Nalthian] Returned needs to consume investiture to stay alive (1 breath per week in Nalthis) be the same in a different system? Saaaay in Roshar for example?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, it would be--but they could substitute another kind of investiture without too much difficulty.

source

During his travels, he also met Hoid and other worldhoppers, who trained him in non-weapon related skills.

I discourage making Alleyverse characters meet or interact with people from the books, with the exception of beings like Nightwatcher. It ties you to canonical events, which can change from what you expect as books are released. I'd prefer if he doesn't meet Hoid. Also, are the other skills referenced the woodcraft etc.?

His travels ranged throughout the entire cosmere until he stumbled upon the Alleyverse.

Similarly, this is a difficult statement. A planet like Scadrial is in the Alleyverse and the cosmere. If he went to it, he'd be the Alleyverse. It's a side effect of our premise, it makes for weird geography. I usually avoid this by specifying planets. 

...as the head of the guild.

I appreciate your mentioning that. 

hope it's not too OP, but the fact that a mildly skilled surgebinder or mistborn would be able to survive an encounter with him (maybe) is evidence to the contrary.

That's not how we judge power. Different skill-sets are vulnerable to different attacks. For example, you could argue a koloss is weak because a soother could beat them, but they could obviously beat someone like a gasper. But underwater, my money would be on the cadmium ferring. Rather, I've started using this Index, allowing people 100 points. The Index currently lists returned as being OP, so I encourage you to give them greater weaknesses. It does not factor in stuff like their weapons training at this time, but I'm looking into including that at some point. 

I did throw in some stuff from infinity blade anyway, because it was too good to pass over.

I missed those parts. Can you point them out? 

Thanks for your submission!

Metal itself of Scadrial is not invested, unless it’s a Metalmind. 

In order for you to get investiture from a metal, you need to burn it, which then brings in preservations power as a way to fuel its affect. 

Metalminds are invested, so you could probably survive by consuming nicrosil metalminds. But I don’t know how plausible that is, especially since he couldn’t fill them due to him not being a feruchemist.

Alternatively you could use Hemalurgy. If you decide to go down this path I have a few cookies that would interest you... 

DA disclaimer applies. 

I see I have a minor problem with him consuming metal.  Don't worry, I'll change it to a plausible explanation.  Somehow.  

22 hours ago, Archer said:

What would you like me to put on the list beside your name? eg. @King Taravangian Returned

I'd like you to put "Most Holy" there.

I'd like you to put down 'Returned' as his investiture. Alternatively, 'One divine breath'. Also put any extra breaths he has, the ones he got from the man. That's important for determining his power level.

Okay.  So, if the hermit gave him one breath every week to survive on, would it give him breaths to use?  I think it would just be a part of his divine breath, unless he were given more than one a week.

"Oh no! Attackers! Quick, Returned, lathe us some chair legs!" I know what you mean, but thought that was funny. 

Haha.  Your a riot.  I'll probably have to change the wording there.

I'd like to see you challenge yourself. First, expand upon the limitations of his code. Then, I'd like to see some other weaknesses to develop his character and balance his power more. I don't understand what you mean by 'no unique powers'. 

Alright.  I've got a loose idea about what to do with the code of honor.  By 'no unique powers' I mean he has investiture, but he can't use it without dying (permanently this time).  So I mean he can't influence the world with his investiture like others with investiture can.

I'm not sure that's possible. We have a WOB that says they can do it with stormlight, but I've never heard of them doing it with metals. This is the relevant WoB which implies you could, but one would need to look into the mechanics of how investiture on Scadrial works to confirm that. 

Yes, I'll probably change that crazy old mistborn into a crazy old feruchemist and have him fill metalminds for Returned.

I discourage making Alleyverse characters meet or interact with people from the books, with the exception of beings like Nightwatcher. It ties you to canonical events, which can change from what you expect as books are released. I'd prefer if he doesn't meet Hoid. Also, are the other skills referenced the woodcraft etc.?

Alright I'll change this.

Similarly, this is a difficult statement. A planet like Scadrial is in the Alleyverse and the cosmere. If he went to it, he'd be the Alleyverse. It's a side effect of our premise, it makes for weird geography. I usually avoid this by specifying planets. 

Huh.  That's going to be difficult to say.  So where is Alleycity?  On the Alleyplanet?

That's not how we judge power. Different skill-sets are vulnerable to different attacks. For example, you could argue a koloss is weak because a soother could beat them, but they could obviously beat someone like a gasper. But underwater, my money would be on the cadmium ferring. Rather, I've started using this Index, allowing people 100 points. The Index currently lists returned as being OP, so I encourage you to give them greater weaknesses. It does not factor in stuff like their weapons training at this time, but I'm looking into including that at some point. 

Okay, I'll find more weakness for Returned.  I disagree with returned being OP though.  I mean, they can do amazing stuff but when they do, they die and so they rarely do it.  They can't animate things with their breath, unless they receive more than one breath a week.  I can see your point, and I concede that they can do things normal awakeners can't, but I disagree.

I missed those parts. Can you point them out? 

Yes, the part about the true patterns of swordsmanship.  The true patterns are a series of moves that deathless learned to deal with multiple opponents of less skill.  What pattern you use is dependent upon how many enemies there are, what position they are in relative to you, and what level of skill they are.  There are hundreds of patterns, and there's a reason you have to be immortal to learn them all.

Thank you for providing your opinion, I'll edit it accordingly.

Edit: Edited @Archer

Edited by King Taravangian
I had to edit to make aware of the edit in the edit

(Era 3 character)

Name: Valath Thanadal of the third dahn. 

Investiture: None.

Special skills and weapons: Owns a soulcaster that creates stone. Is a master Artifabrian. Co-owns a shop that caters to the wealthy. Creates beautiful fabrials of all kinds. Store is decked out with defense devices such as: an Alerter that detects people and their investiture, an Emotion Bracelet, and a Pain Knife. 

Weakness: Is an ageing woman(58) who is growing frail. Long use of the soulcaster is starting to have an effect. Her finger tips are grey and feels "stiff", her skin has hardened slightly and fine motor skills are worsening. Gets lost in thought, and sometimes doesn't move for hours.

Physical characteristics: Short (5ft). Black hair speckled with grey. Yellow eyes. Wrinkles forming around eyes. Kind, pleasant face although she often has an absent look as she is thinking about a new design. 

Family: Minor relative of house Thanadal. Has/had a mother, father and two younger brothers. Left family at the age of 28 and has never attempted to contact them again.  

Home planet: Roshar.

History/Biography: Grew up studying to be an Artifabrian on Roshar. Once she had mastered the art enough she set out to explore the world. Discovered the world was WAY bigger than she thought and eventually settled in Alleycity where she opened a shop with a good friend. (She is a member of TUBA)

Life at the Moment: Maintains the shop while building/decorating fabrials.

( @Archer When I added up her points I gave her 30 for the soulcaster, 30 for being an Artifabrian, and 15 for each of the other fabrials. it adds up to 105. I figured with the weaknesses she has it balances fairly well.... but of course you decide:) Also Amon is intended to survive this Era... not sure if he even needs to be moved at this point but there you go! Also also the shop makes fabrials that are all ready in the books. We might try experimenting at a later time.... Who knows? The co-owner is going to be @Chasmfiend#1's character who I think will be a forger. So the shop will have that aspect too.)  

Edited by Steel Inquisitive

Please transfer Ambrosia, Georgia, and Araha over to Era 3, thanks (Ambrosia will get edits later) Could you make a note on Fred that he is now an NPC?

One of my various Era 3 characters!

Name: Aznah Fairborne

Powers: Epic. She has the ability to use what is essentially alchemy. She can transmit anything to a replacement of equal value, provided she knows how, but each takes a bit of her health. Minor things have no visible effect, adding up over time, but big things can. For using it without having equal value, she must transmit her soul, bonding her to the object almost as a spren. For example, a bag of sand into glass, nearly nothing, though she will be slightly weaker from then on. A mountain into a building, she would lose use of her arms, or something equivalent. If she wanted to create a shardblade, she would have to gather metalminds or awakened metal, and would almost definitely have to die in the process. On the other hand, if she took a dead shardblade and changed its shape, it would only weaken her heavily.

Weaknesses: Doesn't believe in herself, flinches from fighting. Unaware of the cost of her powers, though she is afraid of getting noticed, so big things aren't used.

Physical:

• 5'7"
  • Leane, muscular
  • Pale skin
  • Green eyes
  • Black hair

Home planet: Reckoners earth

History: Grew up in a abusive family with a mother on drugs and an alcoholic father, mom left, leaving her with a father, who continued to abuse her. When calamity came, she killed her father, turning him into a diamond, which she uses as a necklace. She has feared fighting ever since, because of that capability. She ran to the Alleyverse after Calamity left.

@Archer

Edited by 2001Kra

15 hours ago, taerGehtsuilexA said:

I think it’s interesting that you’re not including Ani on your E3 characters list. Do I get to use him from on? *insert winky face*

*is continuing his neverending story of making Ark annoyed*

I have a lot of major changes to make.

Looking at the coppermind article for Returneds, they still have a lot of power, even if they can't use awakening. But I'll lower the point allotment on them. 

On 1/4/2019 at 2:03 PM, MinatoRising said:

Era 3

Name: Aenden...

It's a nice bio. I'm going to tentatively say it would be OP for E3 though. I recommend decreasing proficiency with their investitures, and adding to and expanding on weaknesses. 

21 hours ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

Has the beginnings of savantism setting in

Good bio as well. Given her physical state, I would not consider her to be OP either. My only recommendation is that you change this word if possible, since it has another meaning in the cosmere that it may be confused with.

21 hours ago, 2001Kra said:

Please transfer Ambrosia, Georgia, and Araha over to Era 3, thanks (Ambrosia will get edits later) Could you make a note on Fred that he is now an NPC?

One of my various Era 3 characters!

Name: Aznah Fairborne...

I'll transfer and reevaluate them. Although I encourage you to give their bios a read through again to add any new skills they've developed or experiences they've had.

Will thread appear in E3? If not, he doesn't need any special indications. If he is, I'll add the footnote. 

I'll have to get back to you on OPness once Voidus shares his Epic judging formula. I like the bio though.