Alleyverse Characters

Archer

OP character approval  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Legend (Page 89) be approved?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

15 hours ago, Ookla the Skeptical said:

@Ookla the Paragon Is there anything to denote on your list whether or not a character is dead?

I've struck through character's names if I have them on record as being dead. I apologize in advance, my system relies on self-reporting, so I've probably missed a few deaths (especially in Era 1). 

@Ookla the Paragon

Could you please update my character sheets? Thanks a lot!
I've updated Damaya's and Althea's a bit and added the rest I had in mind for Lena.

Lena:

Spoiler

Name: Lena (originally Lanera Aander)

Investiture: None

Skills: mixing drafts/ (weaker) poisons, disguising herself/ can cook rather well

Weaknesses: can't see blood, can’t hide her emotions, her son

Characteristics: not very self-confident (tries to cover this with cold stares); delightens when she is able to poison somebody, especially if she has the time to study the reactions of her victims, cold-hearted, only really cares about her son, everybody else she is willing to sacrifice any moment (or as soon as she feels she has nothing to gain from the relationship)

Family: Lena grew up in Teoin, her parents were merchants and overlooked her tendency to poison smaller animals, when she was a child. Later, when she grew older and started to slip poison to some of their workers, they tried to steer her from that path, but failed. Lena has a 5-year old son, she almost never gets to see. Her grandmother cares for the child, and writes some letters to Lena now and then, but mostly their contact consists of Lena sending money home to support them both. She and her grandmother have the agreement, that Lena stays away from the child. There isn’t any noticeable contact to her parents, but she does visit eldest brother now and then, who lives and works in Alleycity.

Physical characteristics: small and light built, long red hair, unassuming face

History: After the birth of her child, Lena and her husband lived together in Teoin. The marriage had been arranged by her parents, as they hoped, that having a family would ground Lena. Shortly after the birth of their first child, Lena poisoned her husband after a fight, since she felt, like he wanted to control her. Avoiding arrest, only by her parents connections, she left Teoin late at night, with nothing but her son and a few cloths and travelled to her grandmother. She stayed there for the next few months, but after a while there, her grandmother caught her observing the death of the village smith, making notes as to how improve her draft. The incident was followed by a longer discussion, and ended with a choice for Lena. Leave Sel and never return, or face arrest and a trial most likely ending in her death. Lena left Sel, leaving her child with grandmother, something her grandmother insisted on and joined some travellers on their way to Alleycity. After her arrival there sie started to steal and to scam, finally met the other members of the Thieve’s Guild and joined them on their most recent heists. She has a small flat in a poorer part of the city, which looks like a laboratory, full of plants, and chemical substances, as she is earning her money by selling poisons. She still tries them always out the first time herself, and prefers to carefully note down the reactions of her victims. She doesn’t necessarily kill them, believes incapacitation to be even more interesting, since it means, she has to work with more precision.

Althea

Spoiler

Name: Althea Tenira

Investiture: Elsecaller, 3rd ideal (Spren: Brashen)

Skills: Knows about hemalurgy and how to use it (not expertly), expertly knows how to use her surges

Physical: long white hair and skin, crystalline red eyes, slight build, medium height

Weaknesses: she’s an albino, (she always wears long sleeves, gloves, a hood and sunglasses to protect herself) direct sunlight hurts/ blinds her; Althea is a scholar, no fighter, she will defend herself when attacked, but otherwise prefers to solve conflicts without fighting

Character: problem-oriented thinking, no sense for jokes/ fun, can be taken for cold-hearted, prefers to hide her emotions

Backstory: Althea grew up in an orphanage close to the horneater peaks, as her parents gave her away when they discovered her outer appearance. She usually kept to herself and spent her time reading, learning.When she was allowed to, she left the orphanage to travel the world and further improve her abilities. She was recruited by the Ghostbloods soon after she left the orphanage and they taught her about hemalurgy and how to soulcast. After she bonded her spren, she spent more and more time in shadesmar or soulcasting. Especially shadesmar was a place she grew to love, as the light there didn’t hurt her. From her thirteenth birthday on she worked in the laboratories of the Ghostbloods, advancing through their ranks until she was appointed Righthand shortly before Solace returned to take back control.
Althea learned that she had a sister, shortly before the start of Era 2. She then had her followed and finally decided to appear in the open at the Ghostblood Ball hoping, to meet her there.

Damaya

Spoiler

Name: Damaya Vulken (was Damaya Tenira)

Investiture:  Lightweaver of the 2nd ideal (Spren: Corundum)

Weakness: has nightmares; too curious for her own good; has a tendency to trust those who show her kindness; her illusions are tied to her memories so she isn’t able to really do anything with that surge; she never learned how to soulcast and only rarely tries it out

Character: very loyal to her friends, goodhearted (gradually changes right now), has no real purpose in her life anymore, after she got rid of her forster-parents (see An eye for an eye)

Special skills and Weapons: good “general” knowledge (sewing, embroidery, writing/reading, cooking/baking, basic calculation), weapon: staff (but she tries to avoid a fight if possible)

Physical characteristics: young woman 23 years old, green eyes, long blond hair (usually open or in a low pony tail), frail and small build, with an open face

Family: her family was killed in the Seven Day War when she was 7, grew up with forster parents who abused her for several years, she considers Araha (narrator Cyanic/ now Ark) family - although Araha doesn’t know about this

Home: was Alleycity, atm none

History/Biography: After the war Damaya grew up on the streets, stealing food whenever possible. One day she was caught by a woman and forced to live with her. It wasn’t a bad life, and Damaya learned everything she would need to find a good husband. She ignored her spren, Coru, whom she bonded while living on the street, and pretended to be a normal girl. That worked until the woman married again. Her husband saw the spren and decided to make use of Damaya’s abilities. He abused her for several years, sending her now and then to the Waystop to learn to control her powers. It left Damaya almost unable to control any illusions and a deep hatred for her spren. After she got kidnapped by some Chaos marines and afterwards rescued, she trusts her spren more and more, following Araha’s example who loves her spren dearly.

Edited by Sorana

Same here.

Spoiler

Name: Silas Jostson

Species: Scadrian Human.

Race:

• Half Terris.

• Half Southern Scadrian Hunter

Weaknesses:

• Night terrors.

• Insomnia.

Equipment:

• Steelmind bracers.

• Duraluminmind medallion.

• Cadmium vial bandolier.

• Two sword/dueling cane hybrid canes.

• 17 throwing knives, hidden in various locations on his person.

• Harmonica.

• Aluminum-lined hat.

• Aluminum-weave scarf.

• Duralumin revolver, which shoots aluminum bullets.

• Guitar.

• Combat saxophone.

Investiture:

• Allomantic Cadmium.

• Feruchemic Duralumin.

• Hemalurgically granted Feruchemic Steel.

• Cadmium savant.

• Dakhor bone growths on right arm, not much more than Hrathen had (Only Ambrosia and Tena know about this).

Appearance:

• His hair is black, somewhat long, and is usually pulled into a ponytail by a bone ring.

• Sharp jawline.

• Well-kept clothing, usually white, grey, or black.

• 6 feet 9 inches tall, well muscled, wide shouldered.

• Dakhor bone growths on right arm covered by a glove, and his biomechanical left hand is openly displayed.

Special Non-Investiture Attributes

• Prodigious skill on the piano, saxophone, harmonica, and guitar.

• Almost always smells faintly of ginger and oranges.

• Perfect pitch.

• Skillful street fighter.

History: When he was two, his parents mysteriously died. So, until he was eight, he lived with his grandfather. Unfortunately, Silas’ grandfather died the night of Silas’ ninth birthday, sacrificing his life to spike Silas, giving him his steel feruchemy. He was found by an unembodied shadow, and was taught how to live on the streets. When he was eleven, he was adopted by Tena. Later, after training much to be an assassin, when he was 25, he joined the Dakhor monastery and gained some bone growths along his right arm. Later, during the war against the Sentinels and the True Alley, Silas lost his left hand, which was replaced with a biomechanical hand, made compliments of Ambrosia Nightshade.

@Ookla the Paragon you added an extra A to Araha's name in the list by my name.

Two new characters, one new, and one I haven't gotten around to yet.

Spoiler

Name: Crow Blackice

Association: Chaos Marine

Height: 8'4

Equipment: Shardblade, Power Armor, Hellgun, large staff.

Sexuality: None

Weaknesses: Overconfident, arrogant, has trouble believing others are more powerful then him.

Appearance:

AraghastthePillager.jpg.9db1b812776b8feea8b6c89afa6b68e8.jpg

History: Powerful general during the Long War, he commanded a third of the forces on the attack of the Synod Village in the Goldhaven Mountains. He killed hundreds, and when they were defeated, was able to escape with a sixth of the forces they had brought. He split these forces up to keep them from killing each other, and being found, leaving himself with a band of only fifteen. They were killed when found, except for himself. He has been roaming since.

Spoiler

Name: Shifting Shadows (Shifty)

Investiture: Lightweaver, Nicrosil Ferring, can "talk" with wolves (WoT)

Height: 6'0

Sexuality: Bisexual

Weaknesses: Socially awkward, scared of water, will attack any he thinks of as twisted human, such as Chaos Marines, Myrddraal, Trollocs, or Hemalurgic obamanations, with no regard for his safety.

Appearance: Golden yellow eyes, long, lanky black hair, dark skin

History: Shifting Shadows was born on Scadrial, to Worldhopper parents. His parents took him to Roshard for a short vacation, and he happened to bond a Cryptic. This was before he could remember such things. When he was back on Scadrial, at age seven, his parents were murdered by a rival worldhopper, who attempted to kidnap him. He ran, joining up with a tribe of Koloss. He grew up among them, learning their savage ways. At twelve, they said he must leave or get spikes. He left.  The worldhopper found him, and successfully kidnapped him. He took him to his base on Threnody, were he ran away. He discovered the hard way what Shades were capable of, barely escaping. He lived deep in the forest, learning to hunt without drawing blood, and all the other ways to avoid angering shades. At thirteen, he was captured again. This time the worldhopper took him to a group living on the Shattered Plains, so they could test on him. He ran away once more, living in an even harsher environment. This lasted until he was fourteen, when he decided to explore further out, and discovered the Horneater peaks. He lived there a year, before the worldhopper found him again, taking him. Finally, he escaped into an Alley by accident, finding his way into the world of the Wheel of Time. He lived there, where he joined a pack of wolves, finding out he could communicate with them through his mind. He lived there until he was twenty, and then he decided to go elsewhere. The alpha of his pack decided to come with him, and with her came the entire pack. They lived in the wilds of the Alleyverse for a few years, until now.

@Ookla the Paragon here is my Era 3 Character.

Spoiler

Name: Idos Sebastian Ainz

Investiture: None (This should scare you)

Epic Power: Wire Proficiency

Special skills and weapons: Idos has trained his body to peak human conditioning. He is a Hazekiller and proficient with martial weapons.

Weakness: Let me put some though into this.

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Physical characteristics: Descendant of Dedelin, so he has the Royal Locks. He keeps his hair pure white. He has pale blue eyes and a oblong face with a hooked nose. Lean and muscular.

Family: Nothing to important to mention as the "family won't play a part at all. But he is a Descendant of Dedelin

Home planet: Alleyverse

History/Biography: Spoilers will add later.

Edited by Ookla the Meeker

3 hours ago, Ookla the Meeker said:

@Ookla the Paragon here is my Era 3 Character.

Hide contents

Name: Idos Sebastian Ainz

Investiture: None (This should scare you)

Special skills and weapons: Idos has trained his body to peak human conditioning. He is a Hazekiller and proficient with martial weapons.

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Physical characteristics: Descendant of Dedelin, so he has the Royal Locks. He keeps his hair pure white. He has pale blue eyes and a oblong face with a hooked nose. Lean and muscular.

Family: Nothing to important to mention as the "family won't play a part at all. But he is a Descendant of Dedelin

What does "Wire proficiency" mean, exactly? I'm just curious, so feel free not to say if spoilers.

*sigh* Better to let the site explain. *Clears throat* Wire proficiency is as follows.

Users demonstrate natural aptitude for the way of using the wire or thread as weapon/tool. They can wield a wire or thread with great proficiency in range, accuracy and speed allowing them to perform feats such as wrapping then pulling things or bringing them closer, binding their opponents, scaring/lashing opponents, binding then snatching others weapons, swinging from high altitudes and slicing the flesh of their enemies when striking at great speed.

Applications are as follows. (I have a list that I will use.)

Spoiler
  • Grants a great attack range and versatility, distant or close.
    • Wide area attacks taking down multiple opponents.
  • Strangulation or even break an opponent's neck with wires.
    • Utilize wires as extension of fingers for claws.
    • Use wires/threads as slicing whips, due to them being as malleable as whips and sharp as swords.
    • Use wires to conduct fire or electricity to increase damage.
    • Infuse poison, in wires to increase lethality of cuts.
  • Swing and grapple from structures, targets, or even clouds.
  • Control the sharpness of the wires with delicate movements, allowing one to cut through matter or pick up objects without harming them.
    • Create cocoons with wires to gather air bubbles for breathing in air-lacking areas.
    • Use wire/threads to retrieve severed limbs and reattach them.
    • Take control over opponents like puppets by attaching wires onto their limbs or spinal nerves.
    • Combine with Needle Proficiency to sew things together.
  • Set innovative traps beforehand or even during combat.
    • Bind enemies by entangling them.
    • Create webs for widespread capture.
  • Attach wires to projectiles to control their trajectory.
    • Impale targets by launching wires/threads forward similar to bullets and arrows.
    • Launch wires with projectiles to spread them out into a network, creating a webbing to trap the targets or a force-field.
  • Compress and wrap wires/threads together to form weapons and armors.

Ones that I will be using. (I know that this is about half.)

Spoiler

Grants a great attack range and versatility, distant or close.

Wide area attacks taking down multiple opponents.

Utilize wires as extension of fingers for claws.

Use wires/threads as slicing whips, due to them being as malleable as whips and sharp as swords.

Infuse poison, in wires to increase lethality of cuts.

Swing and grapple from structures, targets

Compress and wrap wires/threads together to form weapons and armors.

Set innovative traps beforehand or even during combat.

Bind enemies by entangling them.

Create webs for widespread capture.

6 minutes ago, Ookla the Foxed said:

Wait, how can an epic have the royal locks?

Answer: Breeding. Similarly done with Ferrings in Era 2 to get a Feruchemist

Era Three is beginning sometime within the next few weeks. To prepare, I recommend that people begin brainstorming ideas for their future characters. However, until the power level restrictions have not been agreed upon, I will not be posting characters onto the list. This ensures we do not have to revisit character bios afterwards to make them comply with any restrictions we set.

If people would like to post ideas for their bios to get criticism and feedback, they are welcome to do so at any time. But I reserve the right to ask you to repost it if they get buried before the time when I start assembling the list (I recommend not tagging me unless your bio is done. That way if I forget to put it on the list, you can edit your post to summon me to the spot. Don’t worry, I follow this thread). Ookla the Meeker kindly volunteered his, so I’ll use it as an example for this post.

What he posted was a good example of a first draft of a character sheet. It contained a basic layout of his thoughts in a manner that gives the reader a fair impression of what his character is like. He also filled in the required fields. A character bio must include name, investiture, special skills and weapons/equipment, weakness, and their history. It is strongly recommended that it also include their family, home planet, and age as well if those are not mentioned elsewhere.

He chose to also include alignment and distinguished between investiture and other Sanderson-created powers. That is acceptable. You may add in extra fields if you feel their inclusion will give people a better idea of who your character is.

Do not include Cause of Death at this point, unless your character is dead already.

If you do not do it, I will bold the names of your fields. Eg. ‘Name:

I know Ookla the Meeker’s post isn’t complete, so now’s the perfect time to give constructive criticism. If this were a final submission, these would be my comments: [Note: This post was written before Ookla the Meeker's second post, so some things have been addressed, but it still works as an example.]

This Epic power should be explained to some extent somewhere in the bio. That way we can tell if it is OP. It also gives people reading it a good sense of what the character can do. Remember, people can compartmentalize, pretending not to know the things they learn in bios when they are in character. Please don’t put will be revealed later or it’s a secret for any fields. It’s hard to imagine what someone’s like if part of their character is unknown. It's okay to include any impressively detailed lists you may have prepared about the capabilities of their Epic power. 

Beyond the necessary Epic weakness, I recommend listin multiple other weakness to develop the character.

The question this begs is how did he become an Epic? This combination may be unacceptable due to implausibility, depending on what is agreed to in the Power Level debate. While one could be travel to Earth and be gifted powers by Calamity, it is unlikely that would ever happen. [Note: Remember, Epic powers are gifted, not inherited. The process of getting their powers should be explained in their history. Until that's done, it's hard to comment intelligibly on the character's reasonableness.] 

I think that if you’re going to include the field, you should at least mention something. Everyone’s got a family, and that has a major influence on their personality and status. Are they royalty? Were they disowned? Did they have a close relationship with their parents, making them feel more confident about themselves? Did their family members have any quirks that have impacted them? Even if they were abandoned at birth, it would still be good to sketch out who abandoned them and why.

This isn’t a planet. If they were born in space, saying so would be more helpful. (Though I suspect that was a typo of Alleyplanet.)

I encourage people to be open and detailed in their bios in Era Three. This is the section that gives people the best idea of what the character is like and why they are that way. Your bio will be up for months, you can spend an extra fifteen minutes writing up a life for your character. It’s an important part of the RP planning process. You need to do it.

If you are tempted to put ‘doesn’t know’ down here, you shouldn’t. As the author, even if the character doesn’t know, you should know their backstory. People are the sum of their experiences. You may put ‘doesn’t know’, but I expect you to follow that with ‘…but what happened was’, and an synopsis of their life. If you can’t think of details to include, try the circumstances of their birth, how their parents treated them, what their home was like, what their day to day routine was like growing up, what their goals and ambitions were, who they look up to, what were the world events going on during their childhood etc.

Another cop out I will not be accepting in Era Three is the lack of memory excuse. To quote another RP guide:

Much of the time though, I see many a character with a short biography... the lines of "_____ cannot remember anything about his/her past." Even if they cannot remember, it is possible that figments of the memories can be unearthed in the character's life before the Role Play has started. It would be crucial to know when that character's memory has stopped, thus they would not forever be in a constant state of amnesia. That would be a horror. 

Beyond that, they still had a life before losing their memory. Their body, habits, and worldview was shaped by their experiences. We need to know what they were to give us an idea of who this character is.