What is Calamity?

Lightsworn Panda

Calamity is a being sent into the universe (the physical realm in Realmatic terms, to the extent that applies to a non-Cosmere setting) in order to test people by giving them powers.

Where it was sent from, who sent it, and what its natural state is...we can't really know, though the Apocalypse Guard series might give more information.

2 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I've never understood this...perhaps you could explain this to me. It makes more sense to just resurrect a old thread that talks about the same ideas rather than to create a new one. Over at westeros they get mad at you for creating a new thread when a existing one is in place.

I'm not the one to explain it. I just had it explained to me when I joined after making a similar mistake, and they said if it's over 6 months old, unless you're adding to an existing theory with new info, you should make a new thread. It's in the site rules I believe.

12 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I'm not the one to explain it. I just had it explained to me when I joined after making a similar mistake, and they said if it's over 6 months old, unless you're adding to an existing theory with new info, you should make a new thread. It's in the site rules I believe.

Huh...If its site rules than I will try to follow it in the future. Thanks for getting back to me.

Site etiquette on reviving dead threads:

On that same note, don't bring back topics that have been dead forever. This is called thread necromancy (or simply "necroing"). If after a long time you post something new in a topic--one whose discussion has long since ended--that would be thread necroing. We're going to be more lenient about this on the Brandon Sanderson forums, because if you have something to add in the "Mistborn Movie Casting" topic and there hasn't been a post there in a great while, why shouldn't you? You're adding something to the discussion, that's fantastic! A lot of the Books forums will have theory threads, and if you have something to add to them which just perfectly fits the topic, better to revive a dead thread, right?

Thread necroing is only bad in a case like this: let's say Mi'chelle and Josh post in General Discussion saying "We're married!" in a few months. Members will congratulate them, but what you don't want to do is post three months later a congratulation. The sentiment's nice, but at the same time, the news is outdated. Your post is itself outdated, which means it didn't really need to be said. It was superfluous and there was no need for you to post it. Does that make sense? That's why most forums hate thread necromancy, because it's superfluous posting. Essentially, spamming.

In this situation topic necro is fine, I should think? It was clearly relevant to the topic at hand. I think the thing KittyofAtlantis linked absolutely indicates this is okay here. Totally okay in my book.

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

In this situation topic necro is fine, I should think? It was clearly relevant to the topic at hand. I think the thing KittyofAtlantis linked absolutely indicates this is okay here. Totally okay in my book.

Adolnasium has spoken. Glad to hear it! I shall keep that in mind.