What is Calamity?

Lightsworn Panda

The question now becomes not what Calamity is but who?

I have a crazy Idea as to who it is... It's Davids mother, think about it we know she dies right before Calamity appears doesn't that seem just a little suspicions to anyone else?

I think if that were the case she'd be mentioned more often in passing, I barely remember anything about her. And iirc Calamity is generally referred to as male.

Also, that's a little insane  :P

SPOILER: (I dunno how spoilers work so here's for good measure.

TURN AWAY:

GO AWAY:

YOUR LAST WARNING:

A red glowing person with angel wings... A person who can gift powers. Though he is Calamity, a disastrous event.

Hmmm, wouldn't he be 'GOD'? If he knows every single fear to all epics...

Edited by Ragsiez

Sorry. Um, like how do you write it down. Is there a specific way to do it, or...just [ blah ]

You can see the proper formating when quoting a post with a spoiler tag.

just put the brackets at the beginning and ending of your post.

Edited by Edgedancer

I doubt Calamity is God. A godlike being, certainly, but not any deity currently recognized by a world religion. Sanderson tends to keep that sort of theology out of his books. Hinting, implying, prodding for questions—that's more his style. Making the most-likely-malevolent being turning people into killing machines the deity of both Christianity and Judaism? That doesn't seem like his style.

I doubt Calamity is God. A godlike being, certainly, but not any deity currently recognized by a world religion. Sanderson tends to keep that sort of theology out of his books. Hinting, implying, prodding for questions—that's more his style. Making the most-likely-malevolent being turning people into killing machines the deity of both Christianity and Judaism? That doesn't seem like his style.

Regalia was a priest and Obliteration is nuts, so I wouldn´t take their word on it, even if Regalia probably is one of if not the person with the most knowledge about Calamity.

Hmm, Calamity. I think (if The Reckoners turn out to be in the cosmere) that it would be the result of someone collecting Odium and Endowment and putting them together, but maybe not Odium...? I think we just don't know enough about Odiums exact intent.... I.E. what does he hate? Everything? People? Life? We have very little idea.

Brandon Sanderson's job is not excluding religion. He will write it believably. If all of the people found out that he was an epic...people would either turn in to fear or get angry. Some, that admires Epics, would worship him. That is what would happen and Brandon clearly knows this.

Hmm, Calamity. I think (if The Reckoners turn out to be in the cosmere) that it would be the result of someone collecting Odium and Endowment and putting them together, but maybe not Odium...? I think we just don't know enough about Odiums exact intent.... I.E. what does he hate? Everything? People? Life? We have very little idea.

There is one major difference between Calamity and Cosmere Shards. The powers granted by Calamity are repeatedly mentioned by David as having no relation to normal physics whatsoever but all the magic systems in the Cosmere are all defined by clearly understood rules and limitations (even when they've not all been figured out yet). If Calamity were a Shard I think he/she/it would be far more powerful than any other.

• 6 months later...

What I would like to know is the origin of Calamity. IIRC, someone, at some point, mentioned that people thought it was an experiment by government scientists gone wrong? There were other proposed theories as well, but this one stuck with me. It fits with Prof being a science teacher (even if it was only for fifth graders) and Tia working for NASA. I think they both know more about what Calamity is and where it/he/she came from than they're letting on.

Aside from where Calamity came from, David speculates that perhaps what Calamity is is an Epic, the first Epic, who just gifted random powers to the people that he wanted to turn into Epics. This seems to make the most sense to me. An existing religious figure, as Regalia seems to view Calamity, doesn't seem to be Sanderson's style and wouldn't be very appealing to me as a reader. And some kind of unknown god doesn't seem to fit either. An all-powerful Epic seems to be the most likely to me.

Unless.... Guys.....

What if Calamity is....

SUPERMAN!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

What if the Calamity in the sky is from an alternate reality, like Firefight?

It could be just a well done fabrication, a separate being pulled in by the origin of Epic powers it/his/herself to give people a misleading belief on the origin of Epics.

Why would this be necessary? Who knows.

Edited by Hovand

• 1 year later...

My answer:

At many times in the story, calamity is referred to as the destroying angel. My theory is Brandon left this as a hint that God was challenged by an angel that if humans were given power, they would be corrupted. God let him do his work but the angel having free will cheated in some of the realities and stayed away in others. Calamity refers to a higher power several times. Anyone else agree?

18 hours ago, cToastER said:

My answer:

At many times in the story, calamity is referred to as the destroying angel. My theory is Brandon left this as a hint that God was challenged by an angel that if humans were given power, they would be corrupted. God let him do his work but the angel having free will cheated in some of the realities and stayed away in others. Calamity refers to a higher power several times. Anyone else agree?

Heads up, you replied to a thread that's from 2015, which is generally frowned on. Just something to keep an eye out for in the future.

I'm pretty sure Brandon would have intentionally avoided such religious subtext, since he's been very consciences about that in other books. Perhaps you could interpret it along those lines, but I would be fairly certain Brandon didn't write Calamity to be an angel.

12 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Heads up, you replied to a thread that's from 2015, which is generally frowned on. Just something to keep an eye out for in the future.

I've never understood this...perhaps you could explain this to me. It makes more sense to just resurrect a old thread that talks about the same ideas rather than to create a new one. Over at westeros they get mad at you for creating a new thread when a existing one is in place.