Long Game 4: Colours of War

Claincy

So, are PM's allowed at the moment Claincy? I didn't see anything about them in the updated rules.

*EDIT* Sorry, I saw that it is still of the second heightening, I'm assuming we have one of those?

Edited by Macen

Cen woke up in the morning to find his countries ambassador dead. This wasn't really surprising considering who they were dealing with. Hallendren's weren't exactly known for their subtly. Heck, Cen was surprised they didn't do it out in the town square, bonus points for the covert assassination.

Cen strolled over to the Red Salmon and had a delightful breakfast, and left a compliment on a knapkin:

"Compliments to the chef I've
never had a better Salmon Benedict.

We should meet sometime and perhaps
I can write a story about your prowess
in the kitchen. There are too few stories
about us Idrians as it is.

-Cen - Your local Lore-Craftsman"

After his exquisite breakfast, Cen made his way over to the Green Potato where a crowd was gathering. He walked up to the large group of gawkers and said, "This reminds me of a story about the assassination of a Hanaldian prince. You heard that one?"

When everyone turned and looked at Cen, he felt like daggers were stabbing him, "Not the time for a story I see, well... I guess we should take a look around the room and see if anything is amiss."

Edited by Macen

Summon felt bad for the Idrian ambassador. At least, that was the expression he was trying to represent while looking at the body but he wasn't quite sure he was achieving it. More likely his face was showing frustration at the amount of work this was going to cause him that day. No doubt those devious Idrians will blame the murder on the Hallendrens (Those sneaky lifeless probably murdered the man themselves just to gain bargaining advantage at the peace talks). As messenger, it would be Summon's job to scour the town for all the Hallendren representatives and upraise them of the situation so they could be ready for any maneuvering the Idrians tried.

Summon hoped they'd all taken the evening to relax and prepare for the peace talks but knew it was more likely they'd gotten up to all kinds of debauchery last night and would be scattered all over town this morning. He'd have to start searching immediately. Well, first he'd get some breakfast because he'd need the energy. He would probably have to wait an hour or so for the food to digest. Running on a full stomach just wasn't healthy. He'd also probably need to go buy some new shoes. These ones were just too worn out for a day full of running. After that, though, he'd get right into delivering the news. No time for delays.

Jeo stared at the Message. the Ambassador, dead? Well that was, that was very Bad. Jeo was a Patriot, he had been born in Idris, but had also lived in Hallandren. He wanted them to be at peace for the Good of them Both. That was why he had moved here 5 years earlier, to prove to the Hallandren People that Idrians were good as well.

Ben took pride in the fact that from all the priests of Truewind the honorful, God of honesty and protection, he was choosen to take part in the negotiations. Not that his shock at the murder was diminished in the least by his joy. He found himself in one of the potato themed locations of D`Relin attempting to analyze the Situation.

His thoughts were disturbed by shouts from other visitors. A group of three people was gathering threatingly around a single, all four of them appeared to be drunk. Ben decided that he should try to subdue the fight.

As he came closer he noticed that the single drunk didn´t seem worried at all and was actually drinking rather relaxed.

"Friends, this City currently is the location of a peace conference, so maybe we shouldn´t become violent, yes?" The tone in Bens voice was calm.

"Srew you, Hallendren! You are the ones that killed Paxen!" One of the three drunks answered and threw a Punch at the priest, which landed in his face quite strongly. Great, so much for peace. In the same Moment the other drunk jumped from his chair and attacked the thughs. His movements were a lot more graceful than his drunked body posture would indicate. The actual fight ended quickly and the thugs stared running away by the time Ben managed to stand up again.

"Ya alrigbt budsy? Seems like za Whiskeys waz stromg with zem." The drunkenes was easy to hear in the mans voice. "Oy, booze man guy, bring us some Brandy, will ya!"

Ben dusted his blue Robes of and joined the man "Yes, thank you. I´m fine"

"Ya one of those negotiabors, ain´t ya? Zo lemme tell´a somebing from experience. There are ebil spies amond you. No ´rust, sot it? And metal Spikes in the eyes is as bood a soof as anything else."

Ben wasn´t certain if the man´s rumbling was insightful or just a random mess but decided to humor him for now. As drunk as he was, he most likely was right that someone in town didn´t want the peace..

So 1 breath per Idrian  plus any Returned among them, So about 13 breaths (Divine breaths can't be given right?), the Hallandren have random number, but I think it's safe to Assume they have on average 3 breaths each, so lets say 45 breaths?  So about 60 breaths in the Game. I'd ask Claincy to do his Statistics, but he's a Sliver now. And Yes, there are PM's unless Hallandren was unlucky enough to all start with one breath.

with 30 of us total, assuming that there are between a Sixth (1/6) and a Quarter(25 cents) of us are Evil, we can assume there are 5-7.5 Pahn Khal.

I only have one breath : (

Edited by The Only Joe

Dyrri the Idrian stood up, righted his hat and spoke to the crowd, trying to calm everyone down with a nice and calming message.

"The hallandren doesent not want war! They do not want us to avoid being killed! The ambassador wanted to avoid for war to not fail to break out.  But no, not all of them. If not all of the false godworshippers fail to not want war, they wouldent simply not attack. Thus, they mustnt fail to police their numbers, or we will all recieve more war then we want! Yes, it is chrystal clear, all of it

Edited by dyring

Rowan eyed the growing crowd, then edged closer. The snatches of conversations he overheard gave him an idea of what to expect before he saw the body. Oh colors. One of his own countrymen, technically, and an important looking one at that. Murdered. What was worse, it meant that Rowan was probably going to be stuck here for a while. Colors! And all the shades of damnation, too!

Thoroughly annoyed, Rowan moved back away from the crowd, and settled in to wait for the real commotion to begin.

"Fly," Cog said in an urgent, yet clear whisper. His only breath drained out of him and into the odd bird-looking toy he had sitting on the table. It had been painted a bright blue color to match one that Cog had seen in the jungle once, but the color leeched out of it as his breath entered it. The toy twitched, the long bladed arms starting to move up and down, but it didn't lift off of the table.

"You're having difficulties getting lift, my friend," Cog mused. "Here, allow me to help." 

He picked up the toy and then gently tossed it like a dart. Unlike a dart, the toy amazingly stayed in the air! It flew in a huge circle around Cog's head. His smile, as he watched the toy fly lazily in circles, could only be described as beatific. It had taken him what seemed like a countless hours of research to realize that bird bones must be hollow for them to be able to fly and to do the same with his machine. Then there had been the tests with wing size and tilt and the tail feathers and... well, there had been a lot of things that had needed adjustment, but after all that time and hard work, he had done it. He had heard a lot of people describe being a Drab as a disturbing sensation, but Cog never felt that way when he was watching one of his inventions work. He felt a sense of peace and unity during these times; when it was just him and his puzzles. 

His revelry was interrupted by the forest green note with gold lettering sitting next to him. Evidently he had been chosen, due to his skill and location, to represent all of Hallendren's Craftsmen at the Peace Meeting taking place in town. Of course, that meeting was off to a rocky start, what with the death of the Idrian representative. He wondered if he had really been killed by another Hallendren or if that was just what it was supposed to look like. Cog wasn't all that fond of politics and as long as both the Hallendren and the Idrians left him alone, he didn't really care what they did. Still, this new wrinkle in the situation made the entire process into a huge puzzle and if there was one thing Cog couldn't resist, it was a good puzzle. 

With a sigh, he stood up and caught the flying toy on its way past. "Your breath to mine," he said, drawing back his breath. He then gently set the toy back on the table. It would be one of those that he gave away. Somehow, after being infused and drained of color like that, it would never hold the colors just right again. That didn't bother him. He loved seeing the wonder on the faces of the children when he gave them his latest creation. He probably did it this way specifically so he could give them away. 

He grabbed his overcoat, a surprisingly reserved tan color because when you worked so closely around Idrians, you learned not to offend their sensibilities too much, and headed out the door. Hopefully this puzzle would be worth it. 

Yes that is accurate, I only have one breath and no role and I highly doubt that the Pahn Kahl will let me survive long this time, so in the name of helping out against them, I'm willing to give up my breath to someone. If any Returned would like to contact me, I'll wait until tonight to give my breath so I can do so privately and you won't have to worry about needing a breath to survive. This will make me a drab and not a threat to anyone, let alone the Pahn Kahl, as they won't even have the chance to steal my one breath should they try to kill me. If you want my breath, contact me and give me a reason why you deserve it and I will give it to someone either today or tonight. 

Can we do what Meta did, where there's a Topic for each Day\Night Cycle? And I too, only have one breath, But I'd rather not die.

EDIT: And do we want to vote for an Inactive today? or Skip lynching for the Day? Right now all my Suspicions are RP suspicions, so, I'll hold off voting.

Edited by The Only Joe

Jeo, all Idrians only start with one breath. You announcing it just makes me think that you're trying to appear more innocent. Perhaps that's because you're trying to hide something else? Myself, I have just cause in the need to try to survive. If the Pahn Kahl don't get anything out of targeting me then maybe I'll survive long enough to be a threat to them later, which is why I'm doing it publicly. That way they know they won't get anything out of it. 

Dyrii, you just put to not use OOC to try to make your information seem more important in OOC. Hello, Pot. How's Kettle doing? ;) Does something above worry you just a bit that you're wanting to start stirring up confusion already? Perhaps because you know I'm telling the truth and you don't want us to already have a Returned that doesn't have to worry about getting an additional breath? 

Cog watched the crowd that was milling around the Green Potato, trying to figure out which pieces were out of place. That wasn't really fair, these were people, not parts in a larger machine, but that was the way Cog always thought. Once you understood where a device was faulty, it was typically pretty easy to find out what needed to be fixed and as Cog watched the crowd, it was obvious that there was something broken on the larger scale of things, but he couldn't tell what. 

"My, this will be an epic puzzle," he thought. 

Grim arrived at the Green Potato bright and early. Apparently, he had not been early enough.

There was a massive crowd inside the inn. What is all this? The negotiations were to start today, but not until later. Besides, no one had heard of the Hallandren head negotiator arriving yet. Paxen had arrived last night. Grim and he were to have a meeting to discuss his assignment later in the day. Paxen had said he would take a room at the Green Potato in order to make their correspondence easy. Did the commotion have something to do with the arrival?

Grim pushed through the door and was immediately thrown against  the wall by a tall man he did not recognize. Dyrri the hat maker was yelling above the crowd in his strange, negating speech.

"Everybody silent!" Grim screamed, silencing everyone, turning their eyes to him. Master Clement looked relieved. He must have tried and failed to do the same. Grim addressed him. "What is going on here?"

Before Clement could say anything, Dyrri pointed to the stairwell. "Paxen is dead."

That hit Grim like a crossbow bolt to the chest. He and Paxen had not been friends, exactly, but they had known each other for a long time. Before Grim had abandoned his old life. However, now was not the time to grieve. "Well, what's all the commotion about then? It's not like we can do anything about it."

"The Hallandrens killed him! It was an Awakened scarf"

The commotion broke out again, people yelling out over one another, some getting rowdy. Grim drew his knife. "Let's keep this civil, everybody. I will use this."

Everyone fell silent.

"Clement, do you want them out?" Grim asked.

His master shook his head. "They can stay, as long as you keep an eye." Clement gave a wink that Grim knew meant he merely hoped to get some good money out of all of this.

Grim grunted. What was to happen now? Who would lead the Idrian side of the negotiations, with Paxen gone?

Grim made a quick decision. If he needed to take control, he would. He would certainly do better than most of the other fools here to talk. He would never know what his true assignment was to be. He would do the best he could.

Not saying you are being duplicitous Meta but I'm gonna have to say that claiming to be willing to give up your single breath at this point would be a good way for Pahn Kahl to select early targets. "All you awakened and other people with a heightening go ahead and announce it to me so I know who we can steel breaths from".

I also think its detrimental to the group as a whole to start announcing what your role is and the number of breaths you have. It's likely only people without many breaths would do that (since having a lot of breaths would make you a target for the Pahn Kahl). All that announcement does is slightly protect yourself from dying early while making the job easier for the Pahn Kahl by narrowing the list of people for them to target.

ooc -

Meta:

When I write ooc above, I mean that its somehting I write that dont have with the game to do, at all, but some comment. Thus I would never write ooc and then state my role in it. Wich is also why anytime I write something after OOC, it is the truth - and it also got nothing to do with the character I play, and contains no hints as what I play.  So when I write ooc, it is not Dyrri, it is dyring. Me. And I dont lie, but Dyrri might. ;)

What I wanted to avoid was things like in the first game. "I promise on all of brandons books etc" attempts to use out of game thigns to convince of ingame matters. Its the same as using IRL connection to convince people imho.

So, I guess what Im asking is, dont give information ooc, truthful or lies? (and I ent no pot there, cause I dont do that. ;)

IC

Hey, those lifeless. Can I borrow them? I want them making me more hats. Never have enough hats. Who want hats?

*late edit:

ooc - And in the end, its up to the GM if it should be one way or another. Just my preference, since games where out of game reasons for trusting is used gets boring;)

*even later edit

(I dont want to make another post just for this)

I wouldent mind putting it in blue, but I cant. Same bug wich keeps me from quoting stops me from changing colours:( Ill go with bolded and stuff next time, or just try to stay away from ooc in the future;)

Edited by dyring

Sart wasn't sure what to do. All he could think about was the dead ambassador lying on the ground. He certainly didn't want to paint that! The man sighed and sat down on one of the stools in the Green Potato. He needed a drink.

You can't have it both ways, Summon; either I'm a lying Pahn Kahl or I'm innocent. If I were Pahn Kahl, that would also be a ploy that could only work once and even then, due to the level of paranoia, probably not very well either. If you've come to that conclusion, then I'm sure most other people have as well. You see, it would be foolish for the Pahn Kahl to put forth this plan already as the gain wouldn't be enough to warrant the loss of one of their own. 

This way, I can at least do some good for the group before I die. I think that you've been more suspicious than I have yet, but that's because I'm aware of my own innocence. 

Dyrii, even if you tell me that your OOC stuff will always be truthful, I'm not going to believe that. Sorry, I'm far too paranoid for that. :) I get what you're saying, but now that the game has started, I'm not taking anything at face value! You couldn't make a strong enough claim OOC and get me to believe it just on your word alone. I don't think you have to worry too much about people taking things written OOC at more value just because someone is using a different color. ;)

Don't worry guys, Meta did this at the beginning of last name.  Anything and everything you say will be used to make you sound evil.  He's probably going to make this statement sound evil somehow.  He's pretty skilled like that.  

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I am still here, watching and waiting, so if we decide to kill an inactive on the first day like we did last game, let it be known that I am active, but until I have more information or I think of something snarky to say, I'm going to be exercising my right to remain silent.  

Edited by Chid

Grim was yelling at people.  While his back was turned Elo slunk into the Green Potato.

"At least one more time Grimmy Grim Grim" Elo did his little happy dance.  

"Master Clement, more salt, mayonnaise and beer.  You didn't throw those . . . . . "

A box of chicken feet were placed on the table.

" . . . . feet away.  My man.  I love this place"

Patrons at a nearby table were discussing what sounded like a murder? Upstairs?  Someone called Paxen.  That sounded like an Idrian name. Probably deserved it then.  Elo had no problem with Idrians per se, in fact some of the best muscians in D'Relin were Idrian.  Who was he kidding, Elo was the best musician in D'Relin.  He chuckled to himself.  No, the problem with Idrian's was that they were beat, and couldn't accept it.  All they had left were the passes and the sooner they gave them up better everyone would be.  More traffic through the town.  More coins in his pocket.

Strangled with a red scarf.  Gryff's wife had a red scarf.  Maybe her could pin it on him.  That would solve a couple of Elo's problems.  One of which was Gryff.  Would have to think on it.

Hmm... Things are much more interesting than usual for this early in the game. I'm not going to voice any suspicions, but I'm watching all of you. :ph34r: Remember, the Master List sees all... and it's finally up to date.  :P Seriously, the List this game is really hardcore, just these last couple pages took me nearly a half hour to put in. 

Aodan sat on the Salmon's patio, eating his breakfast as far away from the Potato as possible. He was unused to seeing dead bodies anywhere outside scholarly texts, and being reminded of it while eating did not work out well. He'd made two trips to puke into the bushes already. 

Unfortunately, assassinations were to be expected during things like this. Aodan had heard some saying that they suspected the Hallandrens, and although he had no love for them, he also knew better. While the grey patches of floor and the scarf screamed Awakener, the uneven ligature marks said otherwise. Someone was trying to frame the Hallandrens. Suddenly finding himself nauseated once again thinking about the body, Aodan set down his meal and ran for the much-abused bushes.

Ooh, Top Secret Hallandren PM? Hmm... the Idrian Agent must be having a field day.   ;)

Edited by AonarFaileas

Don't worry guys, Meta did this at the beginning of last name.  Anything and everything you say will be used to make you sound evil.  He's probably going to make this statement sound evil somehow.  He's pretty skilled like that.  

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I am still here, watching and waiting, so if we decide to kill an inactive on the first day like we did last game, let it be known that I am active, but until I have more information or I think of something snarky to say, I'm going to be exercising my right to remain silent.  

You're giving away my secrets! That means you're evil! :) 

Hey, I got to get the conversation going somehow, or everyone would sit around RPing their characters and being too paranoid to start calling people out. The Pahn Kahl aren't likely to do it as that would seem suspicious and most other people won't because they don't want to look suspicious either. What I've done is get the ball rolling and start giving us something to work with. There wasn't anyone else stepping forward now was there. 

By all means, suspect if you want, but once I'm killed and I turn up innocent, at least now you'll have something to go off of! 

Jim Bob Dirt walked down the stairs into the main hall of the inn, rubbing sleep from his eyes.

"Wha... whas this, then?", he muttered groggily as he noticed a crowd gathered.

"A murder. They say he was killed by an Awakener," said another inn-goer. 

That shocked Jim Bob awake. "Wh-who was murdered?" 

"The Idrian ambassador."

Jim Bob was conflicted. On one hand, someone was murdered not far from where he had slept. On the other hand, he was a dirt salesman, and there's no better opportunity for a dirt salesman than a death. 

They could go after me next! But the person who was murdered was an Idrian. But no, there could always be a third party... Jim Bob Dirt sighed. Well, I might as well try to get something out of this

"Would anyone like to buy top-quality 100% pure imported grave-dirt?"

I'm just going to say now that I am not Pahn Kahl. That is all.