Claincy

Long Game 4: Colours of War

1,030 posts in this topic

Elo stirred from his slumber, coughed, gasped and cried out in pain and anguish.  Nothing felt right, his lungs were on fire, his head bleeding, his ribs broken.  He let out one last quiet sob and let the darkness take him back.  Baldrick stood guard, the night was not over yet.

Yay! Camp has WiFi.  Happiness.  Stupid 12 hour days.  As an aside, I would appreciate it if I am murdered in my sleep that Baldrick lives. Just feed him a lamb shank, scratch him behind his ears and tell him to keep looking.

Day 2 : A Sudden Transformation

Vard wandered through the night, the town was quiet around him. Though far less quiet than he had expected, earlier it had seemed you could barely step into an alleyway without bumping into one hooded figure or another. But the town was emptier now, most villagers and ambassadors having finally retired for the night. Vard had taken to the streets later than the others as he put the finishing touches on a second coffin, he had a sad feeling that they would need it soon.

Vard thought he might follow the others example and go to bed soon, he had hoped to find someone to buy another breath off, with the death of Paxen he thought that having some more breath might be a good idea, just as a precaution. Unfortunately it seemed that much of the town had had the same idea and there wasn't a breath seller left to be found.

Vard sighed, perhaps it was for the best. If he got too many breaths the Idrians would likely start to suspect him, and that wouldn't do at all. He had been given the task of infiltrating the Indrians, just as a safety precaution of course, but it appeared that his infiltration might soon become very important.

With no sign of a breath dealer Vard turned and headed back to his forge. His thoughts wandering as he walked. I remember hearing about a new book on stickism, I wonder if I could find a copy tomorrow. Lost in thought as he was he didn't hear the footsteps behind him and didn't realise he was being followed till a sharp pain blossomed through his chest. What? He tried to turn around but his body didn't seem to work right and he collapsed to the ground. As his mind faded he faintly heard a voice berating another for starting with a killing blow, then the voice was yelling something about breath at him. Vard didn't care, he didn't really care about anything actually. He relaxed and let himself....just...drift...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Vard was a Hallendren Agent!

Day 1 begins and will end at 22:30 AEST / 12:30 GMT on Thursday.

Writeups are fun!

I am going to ask Meta to unlock the main thread so I can edit stuff in there properly, please DO NOT post there. Thankyou in advance :)

@Meta, If you could unlock it and move night 1 into it that would be great :)

I will have all night result pm's out shortly. If you were trying to get breath and don't get a pm in the next 15 mins it means you didn't get one, I don't want to send that many extra pm's.

Edit: All pm's sent!

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

Jeo Woke with the Sun, and looked around his Kitchen. Everything was in order, he hadn't been attacked last night. That was good. So he rose up and left the Restraunt. And in the Middle of the Street, was a corpse. Jeo Gasped in Shock "Murder!" before scrambling over, and rolled the Body over, Vard. The smith was dead. One of his Countrymen was dead.

Dang, He's the Hallandredn Agent? That explains why he started a Mini PM group among us. I'm not sure how to RP finding out his Role.

"Vard?" Sifa called, staring about the empty forge, which should have already been glowing. She was here to pick up the order of barrel hoops her master had placed some time ago. Sifa'd been happy to have the opportunity to work with a fellow countryman. It was eerie to find everything so... abandoned. Could the Idrian diplomat's murder have caused him to flee the town? That didn't seem likely. The young woman hesitated a moment, before dropping the handles of the wheelbarrow she'd brought to cart away the goods, and testing the door to the inner part of the forge to see if she could slip inside. Curiosity was definitely one of her failings, something her superiors would chide her for.

Having successfully breached the door, and left it open for light, Sifa looked about herself. There were the hoops at least, piled in a corner waiting to be picked up. They'd already been paid for, so there'd be no harm in at least getting what she'd come for. She wished Vard were here to help her load them up onto the wheelbarrow, her own spindly strength meant having to take quite a number of trips.  The apprentice brewer was on her second to last load, when she tripped,  sending barrel hoops rolling in every direction in the workspace.

Colors. Sifa rose to her feet, rubbing at her banged knee, then began the onerous task of gathering up the hoops from where they'd bounced. She paused, frowning, as she picked up one that had struck the workbench at an odd angle. It couldn't have struck with enough force to crack it, could it? There must be some sort of flaw in the workbench, was she going to have to pay to replace it? That would mean less money to send back... stupid, impatient. She should have just waited, but there was a full day's labour ahead of her. Sifa peered more closely at the crack. Was that a scrap of paper? Curiosity once more overcame her better senses, and she carefully eased the slip out. One scan of it was enough to make it clear that Vard was not the hard-working Idrian he claimed to be.

Working more quickly, Sifa finished gathering the hoops, and loading the wheelbarrow, and set off rapidly, taking the long way rather than the shortcut she'd used previously to give her time to think about what she'd discovered. She paused, spotting Jeo, and veered towards him "Are you alr-" she began, then saw the body and gasped. "Vard! But... why would the Hallendren kill their own agent?!"

Hope this is acceptable. Also, that explains how very vocal he's been about not pursuing the Hallendren/Idrian conflict. Though I do think he had valid points that focusing on that will let the Pahn Kahl have an easier time of it. This suggests that the Pahn Kahl are focusing on trying to kill the spy/mercenary rather than playing the Hallendren breath lottery. Time to go reread everything.

Edit was to fix typos

Edited by Sphinx

So I had written this out right after clancy's post but got called away by something at work before I could finish and post it. The other posts have made it kind of void now but I put some effort in to it so will go ahead and just post it in blue.

As the sun was just cresting the horizon, bathing the morning sky in a vibrant mix of orange and pink hues, Summon arrived at the smithy to deliver a message to Vard, the Idrian who owned it. He expected a rather large tip for such speedy service. Granted, the letter had been given to him for delivery the previous evening but Vard couldn't know that and it's not like the contents of the message were a life or death matter.

Summon was disappointed to find the shop empty and could feel his tip dwindling the longer he waited for the lazy smith to arrive and start his work for the day. He noticed a newly made coffin and stepped closer to admire the craftsmanship.

"A metal coffin?" It was a little strange but what else could you expect from a smith. Metal was all they thought about. Why wouldn't they want to enter the after life encased in it?

Summon was curious how the inside would be furnished and decided a quick peek couldn't hurt. As expected, the lid was quite heavy but after a little effort he managed to crack it open a little. He wasn't sure what he was seeing at first but suddenly jumped back in surprise when his brain finally resolved the picture into the image of a hand, dripping with bright red blood. With a yelp, he stumbled backwards right into a rack of armor and weapons and dove to the side as it began to topple. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion and Summon watched, enthralled, as the shelves teetered then fell straight into the coffin, knocking it off its supports and spilling the limp form onto the ground.

He scrambled to his feet and dashed out of the shop as quickly as he could. Summon had no intention of being anywhere near the body when the Idrians found it. When he was safely away and his mind started working again, he remembered the letter. Proper protocol would have been to return the message but summon had no desire to connect himself to the murder any further than he already had.

After a few minutes of debate, he cracked the seal and scanned it's contents. Summon wasn't exactly a scholar but he had basic reading skills and the letter made absolutely no sense to him. He eventually came to the conclusion that the letter was in code.

"Typical. The Idrians are so paranoid that they talk in code. Like we even care what they talk about?" He checked his ledger for the name of the person who had sent the message and was surprised to discover the name of a fellow Hallendren. Why would a Hallendren be sending a coded message to the Idrian smith?

"Do we have a spy in our midst?" Better yet, "Was the smith actually one of us?"

Summon had a lot to think about, not least of which was who he should entrust with what he'd learned. He headed towards his favorite inn. Breakfast always helped him think.

Your wish is my command, oh great GM! ;)

This was the first time we ran into this problem, due to Peng keeping his game all in one thread and I was able to edit mine when I was GMing, so we'll see how well this works. I'll reiterate Claincy's request to not post in the main thread for the game, please. If people do so, I'll have to lock it so we're all on the same page each game and that means more work for me and the GMs, as they'll have to send the relevant changes to me and then I'll have to edit them in. This also means that the information won't always be available in a timely manner, so please refrain from posting there. Thanks!

Cog found it incredibly difficult to get out of bed the next day. When he finally did manage to, he tried to throw himself into his work, creating some new invention to help take his mind off of his decision last night, but his mind kept slipping away. Always in the back of his mind he could hear this nagging reminder that something was missing. After the third time that he found himself staring at the device without doing anything, he sighed and decided to get something to eat instead.

The world outside was a bustle of activity, which just reminded Cog all the more of what he had lost. He almost went back inside, but it was then that he caught the whispers of another murder and one of his own to boot. Cog felt his resolve tighten. This was exactly the reason why he had given up his breath, to stop this from happening. It seemed he hadn't moved fast enough. He wouldn't make that same mistake again.

I have a few suspicions based off this, but I'm out of time at the moment. I'll be back on later and I'll help out then.

They got a spy on the first night? That really hurts. So, just to check, there are now 14 Idrians and 15 Hallendrens left now (with Kahn Pahl and a Hallendren agent hiding within them), right?

On paper, that's how it reads but it's actually 15 Idrians remaing (one seeming to be a Hallendren) and 14 Hallendrens Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

The Spy is distinct from the Agents. My guess is there's only one each of Mercenary, Spy, Idrian Agent, Idrian Monk, and Hallendren Agent. In the grand scheme of things, it's much more desirable that they kill agents than the spy. The agents are pretty much indistinguishable from normal people in the eyes of the Pahn Kahl, and only factor into the Idrian v Hallendren subplot.

As of now, there appear to be 14 Idrians, and 15 Hallendren, but one of the 15 Hallendren is secretly an Idrian, so there's actually 15 Idrian and 14 Hallendren, except that some of them are Pahn Kahl. If I had to, I'd guess that there's an even number of Pahn Kahl, split evenly over Idrian and Hallendren, but there's nothing to guarantee that (I don't think?), and so it's not a useful assumption at this point.

Awesomeness beat me, but I'm going to post anyway because woo rambling.

We can't afford to keep killing each other based off of nationality or forcing deadlocks because of it. We need to vote for the most suspicious, regardless of which nationality they are. I haven't decided who I'm voting for yet, though.

On paper, that's how it reads but it's actually 15 Idrians remaing (one seeming to be a Hallendren) and 14 Hallendrens

I spent so much time checking that I was getting it right and STILL got the numbers wrong...

They should have know better, but no one had come in to do anything about the body.  There had been a few who noticed it, but they had run away, hoping to be unassociated with any sort of death.  On the floor of the forge, Vard's body twitched.  If it had been anyone else, Vard would have welded the coffin shut as soon as it was occupied, but since Vard happened to be the only smith in the area, it had remained undone.

Vard's body twitched some more, got up, and left the forge to wander around the town.

"Yarrrgggdslkfan Braiiinnnnsssss"

Zombie Vard thought.  It was a new experience for it, and it took a while. It seemed to remember something about poetry, and started talking.

Brains so tasty, brains so sweet,

Brains are such delicious meat.

Bake them, cook them, fry them too,

Maybe even in a stew.

Zombie Vard didn't know what most of the words meant, but it had brains in it, and it sounded good.

@Joe: I didn't start that PM, and even if any roles had been said I wouldn't have passed them along, because I couldn't be sure that I wasn't talking to a Pahn Kahl.

Edited by SirVarrock

Oh, oops, I'll apologize for my Errors by upvoting your post.

I'm not the GM or anything but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be providing that kind of information after your character died, whether it is written OOC or not. Even if it's just to correct an error by someone, it's still providing information about the game.

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

I thought about it, and I didn't think I was giving any information.  It just seemed logical.

Edit: Those annoying colour tags.

Edited by SirVarrock

If Joe were PK (not saying he is just a scenario) and he was trying to spread misinformation, your correction would have messed with his plans (yes, its a flimsy example but just making a point). And saying that you didn't pass along any information from that pm group is DEFINITELY information about the game.

The priests removed the barricades when dawn arrived. Together they went into town to find out what the current situation was. Much to their sorrow another person was killed. Vard, who, as rumors claimed, was a Hallendren, no longer lifed. With this it was clear that there would be even more victims. Someone must stop these killings. Could Ben do something? Get the attention on himself shortly after they already tried to kill him? There was no way they could blame them for Vard´s death if he was a Hallendren, right?

Ultimatly they returned to their hotel, a huge building with the second floor reserved for the priests, naturaly only to arrange funeral-blessings if the need arised. Ben himself returned to his scholar. There he found a well-dresed man sitting on his window sims, softly tapping the floor with a cane. The man looked at Ben. "I´m sorry. I think my friend bothered you yesterday."

"What? Who?" Ben stuttered.

"The drunk."

"Oh, no, I mean he was helpful, maybe."

The visitor crooked his head and gave a slight smile. "That so? Good, then I suppose I won´t have to apologize for him. Anyway, I might as well tell you that having a big house alone won´r protect you. Take it from experience."

With that the man just flipped his body backward outside the window. Causing him to fall, from the second floor, completly casual!

This town is frigging insane!

Dane was stabed in his mansion before so he would know something about this. I guess my characters all enter somekind of Worldhopper gang.Bens turning out to be timid, it seems.

Sphinx you misspelled Sifa as Siri in your first post of the day.

Edited by Edgedancer

The smith, Dead. Rowan couldn't say that he was too surprised. And apparently Vard had secretly been working for the Hallandrens. That didn't surprise Rowan either. The corrupt Hallandrens disgusted him. Of course, his own people probably weren't any better, they probably had hidden agents of their own among the Hallandrens. Disgusting.

Rowan kept one hand on his hatchet and stayed away from the crowds. He could feel their eyes on him, distrustful and suspicious. They would come for him, he knew, sooner or later. He just had to make sure he got them first. It was just like the Jungle- the strong survived, and the weak died.

Aili awoke to loud noises outside. She wondered what could be going on so early. Groggily sitting up, she saw that her eyes were red from crying in the night. She must've had an awful dream. She couldn't remember it though. She cleaned up her face and went outside to see what all the commotion was.

Vard, dead? No. Aili couldn't believe it. He had seemed like a nice enough guy and Maw had said that he reminded him of some nice Smoker, whatever that was, somewhere else. Vard was Hallandren? His name had seemed nice enough that she had believed that he was Idrian. What other secrets were these people hiding? Aili decided both Idrians and Hallandren needed to work together to catch these murderers. No longer could they be cats squabbling over a mouse.

She went to work remorsefully that day, saddened by the loss. Jeo too seemed more downcast than normal. The potatoes Aili cooked didn't seem to have their regular smell. As soon as her morning shift was over, she went out to the main square to try to rally folks. "Masters Summon and Cog, please come here, won't you? Master Grim, you too. We need to rally together and get both sides to join. Hallandren's negotiator still hasn't arrived, so we need to do his work ourselves. What do you think?" Aili asked the small group.

Grim had had a rough night. With so much on his thoughts, sleep was elusive. Thankfully, something had come of his restlessness. He had concluded that the smartest course of action was to try to work with the Hallandren, not fight them. The many calls for murder had worried him, though. Another death at this time would be terrible.

Thus, discovering Vard's death had greatly distressed him. A Hallandren spy among the Idrians? That did not bode well; it meant the Hallandren may in fact have ulterior motives. The rest of the Idrians would not accept this. Grim had not known Vard, but wondered what he had done. Who had murdered him? Had it been Idrians? Just more to occupy Grim's already swamped mind.

When Aili called to him, Grim was a bit annoyed. He didn't know the cook well, and wanted to get to the Green Potato so he could think more. However, when he discovered she wanted to talk working together, he was satisfied. Clement could wait a bit longer.

Approaching Aili, Summon,and Cog--what was different about the craftsman?--Grim spoke up. "I think this is a great idea. Without Bebid, and with the recent developments, there is no chance of reaching peace without beginning to talk soon. Summon, Cog, Aili, why don't we retire take a room in the Red Salmon to talk about this?"

Grim realized what was so off about Cog. That lack of...vibrancy. The man was a Drab. Where had his Breath gone?

Grim shook it off for the moment. Turning toward the Red Salmon, he beckoned to the others to follow.

We can't afford to keep killing each other based off of nationality or forcing deadlocks because of it. We need to vote for the most suspicious, regardless of which nationality they are.

Says the Idrian.

Vard was dead he did good work, who would Elo go to for capo's and tuning forks now?

Darv, he supposed, he also did good work.

Mr. SirVarrock of the Zombies, couldn't think of a name for another smith, so I inverted yours. Hope that's OK.

Edited by el_warko

Summon had spent the entire morning trying to make sense of the coded message he was supposed to have delivered to Vard before his unfortunate demise. The letter consisted of random quotes from various Hallendren children's stories. The quotes didn't seem to relate to each other at all. One sentence would be about a lifeless and his talking cricket and the next would reference an awakened snowman who dreamed of summer. There had to be some clue about who killed the man and why.

Summon had met the original sender of the message on one of his past deliveries and was sure she'd provide answers under the circumstances but she was days travel away and, If the events of the last two nights were any indication, that was time they likely didn't have.

After hours of rereading each line, it finally occurred to him that the answers weren't in the actual words. While an Idrian might have overhead some of those stories, no Hallendren would try and explain to an Idrian the themes and subtle morals each story was supposed to impart to the children they read them to. An Idrian wouldn't understand. The words for each sentence were meaningless. Each sentence represented an idea related to the story they were pulled from. 

Even after that realization though, the answers were long in coming. No story had one single message so figuring out how each sentence related to the next was a dizzying task but eventually he was able to piece together a logical set of ideas. He knew it wasn't the entire message yet but what it implied was disturbing. Someone from "outside" the peace talks didn't want them to succeed and intended to sow as much discord as possible between the delegations, including killing every member if they had to.

It took Summon a few moments to realize someone was calling his name. He turned to find the cook from the local Idrian restuarant offering her hand. It took several seconds later for her words to make sense.

Work with an Idrian?

He glanced down at the letter in his hand. It was obvious that whoever was trying to destroy the peace talks killed Vard to prevent information passing between the two delegations. Their best chance of success was for the two sides to remain completely in the dark about each other. Summon hated the thought of working openly with an Idrian but the only way they were going to root out the dissidents was information. Summon suspected each and every one of the Idrians and that wouldn't get him anywhere. He would need one of their own people to tell him which were acting even more suspicious than usual. If that meant he'd have to provide the Idrians with the same information about his own people, so be it. Whoever these dissidents were, they were the first priority.

He glanced back up at the cook's eyes and held them for a minute then did the same with the guardsmen who seemed to be accepting the offer as well. Decision made, Summon took a deep breath and clasped hands with Aili.

"Lets get to work".

Edit: grammatical error

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

i like the Disney references Awesome. ;)

Pinnochio and Frozen

Upvote for you!

No ones voted yet, so I guess I'll step in.

Meta. Said he was giving up his Breath, but was really trying to buy more. Drab my chull. 

Yeah, I sent my strawman after him. Fortunately, that renders me somewhat useless now. No Breath for you to steal. :D

Edited by bartbug

They should have know better, but no one had come in to do anything about the body.  There had been a few who noticed it, but they had run away, hoping to be unassociated with any sort of death.  On the floor of the forge, Vard's body twitched.  If it had been anyone else, Vard would have welded the coffin shut as soon as it was occupied, but since Vard happened to be the only smith in the area, it had remained undone.

Vard's body twitched some more, got up, and left the forge to wander around the town.

"Yarrrgggdslkfan Braiiinnnnsssss"

Zombie Vard thought.  It was a new experience for it, and it took a while. It seemed to remember something about poetry, and started talking.

Brains so tasty, brains so sweet,

Brains are such delicious meat.

Bake them, cook them, fry them too,

Maybe even in a stew.

Zombie Vard didn't know what most of the words meant, but it had brains in it, and it sounded good.

@Joe: I didn't start that PM, and even if any roles had been said I wouldn't have passed them along, because I couldn't be sure that I wasn't talking to a Pahn Kahl.

The zombie part is fine but the OOC is game information and definitely against the rules. Talking about your ingame actions and motivations outside of the dead doc after dying (and before the game ends) is certainly not allowed. It probably won't change too much this time but it could. In terms of the rules it doesn't matter how important or otherwise the information you said is, it is still against the rules and sets a bad precedent which could lead to more important information being leaked.

Sorry but I am going to have to downvote that post for rules-breaking, the thing is that if a couple more people intentionally or accidentally reveal any game material in these death posts we will have to outlaw them all-together. And that would be a shame. Allowing people to post after death at all is skirting the danger of something leaking and if the afterdeath posts are misused we need to step on it to avoid them being deliberately abused in the future. To be clear though NO ONE else should downvote it because of this, I am only doing so to reinforce the point. (You have enough upvotes on the post that it won't make too much of a difference that I do.)

I may be coming down a little hard but something like this could mess up the game.

I don't like doing that : (

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord