Long Game 4: Colours of War

Claincy

Chide walked up to the restaurant owner, a man they called "Jeo".  Chide forced himself to look the man in the eyes, though he wanted to keep glancing over his shoulder.

"Excuse me, sir.  I, um, I have just moved to the city and I'm looking for a job.  Uh, do you have any idea where I could, um, find work around here?"

Colors!  Chide didn't know why he was so nervous.  The man owned a restaurant.  Jeo obviously wasn't a secret assassin.  Or... at least that's what Jeo obviously wanted everyone to think.  Of course, Chide didn't really need to be worried about assassins.  Scad had been training him how to fight ever since Chide was a young boy.  The man had left Chide as a paranoid without many social skills, but at least Scad had taught Chide some very useful skills.  

Joe, you can just put me down as The Paranoid.

As time passed and everyone around him seemed to be meeting up, Grim found himself alone. Which was not an unusual state for him; he had long been a loner. He much preferred to be an observer, without any particular affiliations. That was what had attracted him to this town, being on the Idris-Hallandren border as it was. He was part of no group in particular, safe to observe and criticize.

At least, until they had come to him, with an offer he couldn't refuse.

Well, he was able to forget his secret job most of the time. It didn't really interfere with anything. Now, however, things were seeming to come to a head. The peace meetings would begin in mere days. Grim would have to give up his state of nonintervention. He was caught up in the middle of everything, and there was no way out.

He only hoped that the coming weeks would bring him some information. He wanted to know who was trying to kill him.

So he could kill them.

@Aonar, day.

@Chid, you are welcome to join :)

@Sphinx, 1) I will pm them back to let them know that nothing happened when they try to use the command.

2) It should be fairly obvious in the writeup what kind of kill it was.

29 people, come on, just 1 more... =)

I'm hurt, you two. Devastated. Truly. I mean, I get why you don't trust me, Maill, since I did kind of betray you a bit. But you really didn't trust me at all in the second game? Even before you died? And Aonar! How could you?! I wasn't the only one planning and conspiring. You actually got into the trusted group, so what's that say about you and your insane gambits that actually work? :P...Oh, this game is gonna be great. And terrible. And amazing. All at the same time. I'm not trusting anybody (even though I'm really going to want to trust my fellow ex-Spiked...we just worked so darn well together!).

No I did trust you, pretty completely, and that was the problem. You and Aonar betrayed me. :( but nothing personal, it's just I want to win again. And this time I want to be pretty helpful in that.

Angling for a returned gig eh?

No actually. I was going for more that she can't remember where because she was kind of abandoned so that it works either way. But Returned works too. ;)

Aili had only one real friend. She liked everyone, but only one was a true friend. He said his name was Maw and tin was his speciality. Aili thought that was some kind of metal, but she wasn't sure. Even if it was, why would he specialize in tin? Metals were boring. They were usually bland colors though, so she could appreciate that, if she could decide which nation she was from. Maw had shown up one day with a younger boy named Chidden. He seemed to be somewhat close to Chide, the paranoid person. Maw was a farmer and Aili was pretty sure she had seen him in that rain the other day when she saw the boy and a cobbler.

Edited by Mailliw73

Wilson, with you in a game again, I'm not going to outright trust you anymore. I'm done with that. It kinda worked the first time but not at all the second so, sorry. ;)

Yeah, this game will be fun. I've teamed up with, betrayed, and been betrayed by almost half the people participating in this game. Oh, and I'm okay with the game starting at any time/any length of cycles. Whatever works best for everybody. :D

Maill: Haha, you're not the only one. Being on the same side as her only highlighted how good she can be at this sort of thing. ;) 

...Oh, this game is gonna be great. And terrible. And amazing. All at the same time. I'm not trusting anybody (even though I'm really going to want to trust my fellow ex-Spiked...we just worked so darn well together!).

Now that you've worked with them, you should have all the more reason to not trust them. As for me, my logic failed me with Joe last game, so unless I'm a seeker type thing I'll trust no one.

AonarFaileas, on 02 Apr 2014 - 10:57 AM, said:

Yeah, this game is going to be very interesting. *Insert Adem handtalk for vast understatement here* We (the ex-Spiked) did work really well as a team, but that doesn't mean I'm trusting any of you.  :P

*Sniff* I'm so proud of you all. You're becoming uber-paranoid so quickly! It seems like just yesterday that huge PM groups and blind trust was a thing and now it's gone. You all just grow up so fast.  It's true what they say, cherish the early, innocent years, because they'll be over in a blink of an eye. :P

Edited by Metacognition

Meta is so right, though. I now fully understand just how powerful/deadly PM Trusts can be in these types of games. As shown in the last game, my trust doesn't come cheap, nowadays. How naive I was, in the first game, asking Bartbug, "are you sure you're the Seeker?" lol.

This game will be the best, I think, since we've now had three examples of how devious/evil we all can be.

But yeah. Watch out for that Wilson, this game. Calamity hath no fury like she does. ;)

(And it's funny, of all the people Meta quoted for that... I've been on a team with half of those people each game. I honestly will be surprised if a single person believes anything I ever say in these games from here on out. :P

Edited by Gamma Fiend

OK. Colours of War will begin on Friday at 22:30 AEST (12:30 pm GMT)!

I know the time won't suit everyone perfectly :( , but with that time I should always be available on time to post the writeups and hopefully on time 12 hours before to tell the returned who will die. I will finish clarifying the rules and post all updates to the rules before that time.

I'm very excited to get this going :)

Note: The game is still open for signups for another 24 hours. Just in case you know?

We now have 30 people signed up. How many do we need to have 2 games running at Once?

Clancy seemed to want thirty people for this game.

Also, clancy, I reccomend including the name of the person your sending a PM to in the title. i did that for the last game and it made the PMs much easier to sort through. for example, the one i sent to you was titled "clan (blackwater village)"

As the Sun set, Jeo wandered around the Restaurant. Tomorrow, the negotiations would begin. much more would be happening, either for good or for Ill. It seemed sad that there were so many people involved. Did the two countries distrust each other enough to each send 15 people? It seemed like it would only take an Ambassador and several bodyguards. So who was everyone else?

A loud knock came from the Main Doors. Jeo had closed down for the Night and sent Aili Home, so who could this be? Another knock came, but a voice accompanied it this time.

"Jeo? It's important. I have a Package for you. Can I come in?"

Jeo frowned inwardly. Who was 'Important' and why was he working so late at Night? And most Importantly, what color was his Cloak? But he was a visitor, so Jeo went and unlocked the Locks, and Opened the Door. "Come in, Come in. Can I get you something to Eat? Or to Drink? It's Chilly Outside and I wouldn't want you catching a Chill for My Sake."

The Man wore a Strange clock, of many stripes and Dark colors, and Jeo had never seen him before. But he did have a Package under his Arm, so he was probably telling the Truth. The ash Cloaked man sat down heavily, and put a Package on the Table. "No, no, don't worry about me. I Just need to deliver this Package."

"Very Well, What is it?"

"Don't Know, and I'm not allowed to Either. I was told to Deliver the Package, then Leave before you opened it. It was for your eyes only. Who are you anyway? I was only told your Name and where to find you."

Jeo Studied the Package in confusion. It was obviously from his Superiors, but What was it, and why was this man not allowed to know what it Was? "I'm nobody important enough to warrant a Midnight Delivery of a Confidential Package. Well, you can see yourself Out I suppose, I want to Open this." Jeo left the man without looking back to see if he had left,and Entered the Kitchen. He took a Knife from the Rack and opened up the Package. Inside, were four Bloody Spikes, and another Message.

"Xntr Okam gm ZkabjVaqcr eagkcd"

If my Roleplaying is Bothering anyone, Just tell me and I'll start putting it in Spoiler Tags. 

I'm the Last Poster in Game 3!

@Peng, good advice.

I have posted the updated rules. The game will start shortly now. I will be sending out pm's with roles very soon.

Thanks for your list of players Joe, makes things easier.

30 people! This is gonna be a bit crazy, and I like it that way.

*cackles gleefully*

I am going to wake up to awesomeness. (Translation: My role PM and the start of a new game.)

Edit: Did you add Idrian monk? Because that seems to be my reputation level right now.

I did, the rules for it are in the OP now :)

I'm just randomizing rolls now. Who knows, maybe you will be a monk!

The night was approaching by the time Paxen approached D'Relin. It was a moderately small village near the border between Idris and Hallendren but even in the growing darkness the bright colours of the buildings blazed out brightly. Paxen frowned as he saw them, he had expected this, but the colours still irked him though not so much as the implications of the meeting place. Choosing a Hallendren town for the negotiations highlighted where Idris stood in these negotiations. Still, Paxen had been sent to ensure peace and that was what he would do.

The Hallandren ambassador, Paxen suspected, would have arrived to a great deal of fanfare and ceremony. Paxen arrived quietly with his bodyguard, walking calmly into town and renting a room at the Green potato and retiring to his chamber to consider tomorrows negotiations.

The night passed peacefully, but in the morning, when Dainard came to Paxen's rooms in the morning to let him know that breakfast was prepared there was no response. After knocking several times there was still no response and Dainard tentatively opened the door to find Paxen lying on the floor, a Red scarf was wound tightly around his neck and a patch of the floor was grey.

Priest Bebid, the main negotiator for the Hallendrens had still not arrived.

Day 1 Begins

It will end on Sunday at 22:30 AEST (12:30 pm GMT)

Player List

Idrians

1. (The Only Joe) Jeo ~ Local Chef
  2. (Alvron) Fron ~ Dye Worker
  3. (AonarFaileas) Aodan ~ Scholar
  4. (SirVarrock) Vard ~ Local Smith
  5. (Mailliw73) Aili ~ Minor cook at the Red Salmon
  6. (GreyPilgrim) Grim ~ a Guard
  7. (Nepene) Alan ~ Librarian
  8. (Aspren) Asgren ~ Traveling Historian
  9. (Dyring) Dyrii ~ The Mad Hatter
  10. (Tulir) Tril ~ A Wanderer
  11. (Herowannabe) Rowan ~ Silent Hunter
  12. (Macen) Cen ~ Lore-craftsman
  13. (Sphinx) Sifa ~ a Brewer
  14. (Chid) Chide ~ The Paranoid
  15. (the Gleeman) Thomas ~ Meddling Wanderer

Hallendrens

1. (Gamma Fiend) Gammer ~ Old Woman
  2. (Bartbug) Bartholomew ~ Chedesh Remnant
  3. (Metacognition) Cog ~ Local Craftsman
  4. (el_warko) Elo ~ Short Bard
  5. (Swimmingly) Swimim ~ Crazy Poet
  6. (Awesomeness Summoned) Summon ~ Messenger
  7. (Wyrmhero) Wyrm ~ Scholar
  8. (PorridgeBrick) Rick ~ A Stick
  9. (little wilson) Wil’son ~ Fabric Merchant
  10. (Quiver) Ver ~ Inept World Hopper
  11. (Edgedancer) Ben ~ Non-denominational Priest guy.
  12. (a smart guy) Sart ~ an 'Artist'
  13. (Adolin_Dustbringer) Jim Bob Dirt ~ Dirt Salesman
  14. (Nard1993) Dainard ~ Stable Boy
  15. (JasonPenguin) Peng ~ a Thief

...I didn't forget the white text. Don't be ridiculous, I never forget the white text!

YEAH! Starting =D

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

Wyrm was worried. Not just the fact that one of the negotiators was murdered - People were murdered all the time (well, figuratively speaking), so it could just be a coincidence. He could pass it off as that, if it weren't for the fact that Awakening was involved. No, this was a warning, not just a murder. There were subversive elements here, though he couldn't really make a guess at who could have been responsible for this. He had his theories, oh, he had theories. But no proof, no evidence. That made it difficult to say anything.

"Who could've done this?" He muttered to himself, unable to tear his eyes away from the grey floor at the scene. "Who doesn't want peace?" Maybe he should just leave the village before anything else happened. It would be impossible to get any real research done here, not when the entire town would be buzzing with this news. And that wasn't even considering that this might be the first warning.

I believe we're allowed to edit for spelling/grammar, but nothing else, right?

Edited by Wyrmhero

Sorry to propose rule changes after the game has started, but I have one more suggestion:

A player ought to be able to give away his breath during the daytime, but must do so PUBLICLY, and possibly in place of casting a vote. This will allow for someone who knows he or she is about to be lynched to give their Breath to someone they trust, which fits in with the book (think Vivenna's spy friend at the beginning). Also, it allows for more Breath to stay inside the game, and allows for lots of fun speculation as we mull over who the deceased decided to give their Breaths to and why.

Murder. The word sent a shiver down Sifa's spine as she caught it whispered from one member of the crowd to another. It was appalling, and disappointing on any number of levels. A life, an Idrian life, had been taken. Someone was clearly trying to disrupt the negotiations between Hallendren and Idris. More personally, the murder meant that she was unlikely to receive any letters that Paxen's retinue might have been carrying from the family back home. A stray wisp of ash-blond hair had escaped her braid, and Sifa wrapped it around her finger absently, frowning as she listened to the reactions of those around her.

She should really be getting back to check on the boiler as her fellow apprentice, whose job it was, could rarely be counted on to wake up in time, but for just this once he could get what he deserved for his sluggardly ways. Their master would certainly want to hear about this news, and would forgive her tardiness in sticking around so that she could tell him the full story.

Feel free to poke me about any problems/mistakes here.

Also, just to make triply sure I understand, a Returned could secretly be a Pahn Kahl, but the Mercenary and other roles are guaranteed to not be?

I believe we're allowed to edit for spelling/grammar, but nothing else, right?

Correct, though if the errors aren't too serious just ignore them, it's better that way.

Sorry to propose rule changes after the game has started, but I have one more suggestion:

A player ought to be able to give away his breath during the daytime, but must do so PUBLICLY, and possibly in place of casting a vote. This will allow for someone who knows he or she is about to be lynched to give their Breath to someone they trust, which fits in with the book (think Vivenna's spy friend at the beginning). Also, it allows for more Breath to stay inside the game, and allows for lots of fun speculation as we mull over who the deceased decided to give their Breaths to and why.

I like this idea :) I'll add it to the OP

I'll put it here too.

PLEASE NOTE: 

Any player can give someone their breath during the day cycle but they have to announce it publicly in-thread rather than through pm. They also lose their vote for that cycle by doing so.

Also, just to make triply sure I understand, a Returned could secretly be a Pahn Kahl, but the Mercenary and other roles are guaranteed to not be?

This is correct.

And now I need sleep, gnight all.

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord