The origin of the Set's hemalurgic spikes

Krios

WARNING: THIS THEORY IS BRUTAL AND GRIMDARK!

So I wondered where the Set got their hemalurgic spikes like the ones Edwarn and Telsin use.

1. They could just harvest spikes from their own misting and ferrings. I think this is unlikely, because it is somewhat wastefull and good luck getting your most powerfull fighters to get themselves killed.

2. They could go around murdering mistings and ferrings in the general population. Also unlikely as it would very fast draw enourmous amounts of attention. Specifically from Wax, who knows about hemalurgy.

And now the third and really dark option. Snapping in Era 2 has a way lower threshold than in Era 1. So it probably occours at birth, which is quite traumatic, we just dont remember. Also Vin snapped at birth or close after that.

The Set also still have the highborn ladies, who are all related to the most powerfull allomatic heritage on Scadrial (Spook aka the Lord Mistborn). The sheet Wax uses to draw the their familylines is "5 feet long and several feet wide". That indicates a significant number of victims. And they probably also abducted terriswomen, but as they aren't important people, that just didn't draw the publics attention.

So they could "breed" misting and ferring babies, use a skilled seeker to determine their powers and then harvest them. So instead of 18 years to create one misting or ferring, you could create one in less then a year. Marasi even mentions, that they want to breed an army of allomancers in Alloy of Law. So it doesn't seem to far fetched.

Depressed greetings

Edited by Krios

Honestly, the bigger question, I think, is how they found out about Hemalurgy in the first place. Who told them that you can make spikes from Allomancers/Ferrings to get their power? While the obvious answer seems like "maybe Paalm", I don't think this is it. She, herself, has a tampered spike using a metal from a foreign Shard. I also think that they have been making spikes for a bit after the Prologue of AoL (this places the start of their experiments a few years before BoM). So, I think that the logical conclusion is one of these: 1) they got a hold of Spook's book somehow and learned to create spikes using it; 2) they learned from someone who knows how to make spikes, such as Kelsier or Spook (these are just examples); and/or 3) they learned to make spikes by capturing and using torture to get information from the Southerners (note, a warehouse takes several months--even years--to build, and the warehouse in Bands is huge, thus they may have held the Malwish prisoners for a very long time).

Anyways, to address your theory. I think it's far more likely that the spikes are created from Allomancers and Ferrings outside of Elendel. Since Wax, Wayne, and Marasi were only interested in keeping the people of Elendel safe for the last three books (even Bands), they would not look into mysterious murders in the cities or countryside beyond Elendel. Plus, the Elendel Basin (and the Roughs beyond it) is just too big for three people to track down every mysterious death they hear about. It's just logistically impossible. Plus, they probably wouldn't even think about it because they're concentrated on the big city. Now that Marasi is aware of it, I think her forensics research might take her to looking into mysterious deaths beyond Elendel itself after BoM, or at least it should, logically. Where else to look but the countryside from which the Set is recruiting it's army, anyways?

Edited by Jazzy Kandra

On 7/20/2018 at 0:10 PM, Jazzy Kandra said:

Honestly, the bigger question, I think, is how they found out about Hemalurgy in the first place. Who told them that you can make spikes from Allomancers/Ferrings to get their power? While the obvious answer seems like "maybe Paalm", I don't think this is it. She, herself, has a tampered spike using a metal from a foreign Shard. I also think that they have been making spikes for a bit after the Prologue of AoL (this places the start of their experiments a few years before BoM). So, I think that the logical conclusion is one of these: 1) they got a hold of Spook's book somehow and learned to create spikes using it; 2) they learned from someone who knows how to make spikes, such as Kelsier or Spook (these are just examples); and/or 3) they learned to make spikes by capturing and using torture to get information from the Southerners (note, a warehouse takes several months--even years--to build, and the warehouse in Bands is huge, thus they may have held the Malwish prisoners for a very long time)

What seems more likely than any of these is that

Spoiler

their "Faceless Immortals" from Trell taught them to do this. We don't know how exactly they work, or even if their creation involves Hemalurgy at all, but the Set seems to be working for them and I would hardly find it surprising if they knew how to use Hemalurgy.

On 7/20/2018 at 1:13 PM, Krios said:

WARNING: THIS THEORY IS BRUTAL AND GRIMDARK!

So I wondered where the Set got their hemalurgic spikes like the ones Edwarn and Telsin use.

1. They could just harvest spikes from their own misting and ferrings. I think this is unlikely, because it is somewhat wastefull and good luck getting your most powerfull fighters to get themselves killed.

2. They could go around murdering mistings and ferrings in the general population. Also unlikely as it would very fast draw enourmous amounts of attention. Specifically from Wax, who knows about hemalurgy.

And now the third and really dark option. Snapping in Era 2 has a way lower threshold than in Era 1. So it probably occours at birth, which is quite traumatic, we just dont remember. Also Vin snapped at birth or close after that.

The Set also still have the highborn ladies, who are all related to the most powerfull allomatic heritage on Scadrial (Spook aka the Lord Mistborn). The sheet Wax uses to draw the their familylines is "5 feet long and several feet wide". That indicates a significant number of victims. And they probably also abducted terriswomen, but as they aren't important people, that just didn't draw the publics attention.

So they could "breed" misting and ferring babies, use a skilled seeker to determine their powers and then harvest them. So instead of 18 years to create one misting or ferring, you could create one in less then a year. Marasi even mentions, that they want to breed an army of allomancers in Alloy of Law. So it doesn't seem to far fetched.

Depressed greetings

You just broke my brain; it never even occurred to me that metalborn could probably be hemalurgically harvested shortly after birth...this makes the "breeding an army of allomancers" theory a lot more horrifying and, in my opinion, plausible.

Raising, indoctrinating, then breeding allomancers from birth to adulthood sounds farfetched; people are pretty prone to rebellion and running away under those conditions, and they would be so valuable that losing a few could be a major orgazational blow. Plus the time and resources required would be insane. But ensuring your soldier's loyalty by granting the best of them magic powers is an easy sell, and harvesting children sounds tragically easy...plus, the powers could be recovered and reassigned from the corpses of your fallen with little loss of potency assuming contact with wet blood was maintained...

On 20.7.2018 at 9:10 PM, Jazzy Kandra said:

Anyways, to address your theory. I think it's far more likely that the spikes are created from Allomancers and Ferrings outside of Elendel. Since Wax, Wayne, and Marasi were only interested in keeping the people of Elendel safe for the last three books (even Bands), they would not look into mysterious murders in the cities or countryside beyond Elendel. Plus, the Elendel Basin (and the Roughs beyond it) is just too big for three people to track down every mysterious death they hear about. It's just logistically impossible. Plus, they probably wouldn't even think about it because they're concentrated on the big city. Now that Marasi is aware of it, I think her forensics research might take her to looking into mysterious deaths beyond Elendel itself after BoM, or at least it should, logically. Where else to look but the countryside from which the Set is recruiting it's army, anyways?

I think a killing spree among allomancers and ferrings, all with holes in special places, all killed with a similiar weapon, would relativley fast draw attention. If not from the heros, then from the broadsheets and constables. The Set can't possibly control everything outside Elendel. And I do think the Kandra would look for suspicious deaths.

Also concerning the warehouse. I got the impression, that it is a pretty ramshackel construction, which had quickly been build.

• Chaos locked this topic