Ask Ene Literally Anything, Including Advice

AonEne

On 1/12/2023 at 6:27 AM, The Bookwyrm said:

What is the answer to this question?

Have you seen Inception, Interstellar, Tenet, Arrival, and/or Dune, and if so, what is your opinion on them?

This is. 

Yes to Inception, no to the rest, though I've heard good things. I gotta admit I didn't feel like Inception lived up to the hype - it wasn't terrible but its mechanics felt underexplained to me, I was often confused, and the story and characters didn't catch me. There's a lot of potential in the idea, but it didn't make the landing for me. :unsure:

On 1/14/2023 at 0:35 PM, Tani said:

Are the mods payed to be mods?

Are the admin payed to be admin?

My oldest brother mentioned something and it made me curious

Neither mods nor admins are paid, this is all volunteer work. The only payment that anyone gets is a small (below minimum wage, iirc) flat fee for editing Shardcast, and that comes from our Patreon. I don't do this editing myself. 

What did he mention? 

On 1/20/2023 at 9:05 AM, The Wandering Wizard said:

If you could be proficient in any weapon, fantastical or real. What weapon would it be?

Probably knives. Useful, easy to carry around and concealable, I have several already, can be thrown or used in melee, theoretically versatile. If fantastical, can I just pick magic? XD something something "it's also a gun", except that guns kinda scare me. :P 

On 1/20/2023 at 9:08 AM, The Bookwyrm said:

What's it like to be on Shardcast?

Very fun and very stressful! Most of the stress is of my own making, to be fair. It also gets pretty tiring - be up and awake and on camera, for 3-6 hours, trying to think of interesting and entertaining and funny and educational things to say, ways to add to the discussion, etc...I'm also pretty bad (though getting better) at speaking up and entering conversations. But it's also very fun - a good way to talk out my thoughts on a thing, to get others' opinions on something, etc. It's the best when I make someone laugh or consider something. The stress of recording it is balanced out by other people watching and liking it afterward. 

Also, it's just fun to talk with friends sometimes. And meeting Janci was wonderful, as intimidated as I was the first time, haha. :D 

19 minutes ago, Tani said:

He mentioned me maybe doing an internship as a mod, and I said I was pretty sure it was volunteer work. Thank you for helping me be certain!

Happy to help! Yeah, I don't believe we have an intern position :P 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Just now, AonEne said:

Yes, sorry for the delay! :unsure: If you still need the advice, what's up? 

Hmmm

I don’t believe I had anything in mind when I posted that. If anything comes to your mind that you’ve been thinking about and want to share, go ahead! Otherwise there isn’t really anything going on in my life right now that I would need much advice for. 

1 minute ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Would you like to join an RP? :ph34r:

Oh man, always, but lately I'm so bad at keeping up with writing...which one? 

Just now, Labyrinth said:

Hmmm

I don’t believe I had anything in mind when I posted that. If anything comes to your mind that you’ve been thinking about and want to share, go ahead! Otherwise there isn’t really anything going on in my life right now that I would need much advice for. 

All right! My advice is cliche but something that has helped me recently: to remember that there's always something good on the horizon as well as bad. It's never all bad coming up. 

37 minutes ago, Aeoryi said:

Is Alleyverse truly dead?

It's not! Looks like it temporarily died for a little bit there, though. Sometimes RPs do that but it doesn't have to be permanent! (Though an unfortunate amount of the time it is -_-

Just now, AonEne said:

Oh man, always, but lately I'm so bad at keeping up with writing...which one? 

This one! It becomes a more traditional RP but still really free form after the first page. Will you defend or attack Eddie from Athena :ph34r:  or join the all female love triangle and make it a square. Just kidding you don't have to :P.

2 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

This one! It becomes a more traditional RP but still really free form after the first page. Will you defend or attack Eddie from Athena :ph34r:  or join the all female love triangle and make it a square. Just kidding you don't have to :P.

I can't join an all-female love triangle, that'd ruin it because then it's not all-female! 

Thanks for the invite, there's a chance but probably not a super high one. 

5 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I can't join an all-female love triangle, that'd ruin it because then it's not all-female! 

Thanks for the invite, there's a chance but probably not a super high one. 

To be fair, Wizzy plays one of the female characters. So it's not like you'd necessarily be disrupting that :P 

1 minute ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

To be fair, Wizzy plays one of the female characters. So it's not like you'd necessarily be disrupting that :P 

That is fair :P

I need the practice writing female characters over male ones though I still have a male stuck in the form of an animal as is on par for me :P 

Ene, this is a question I've pondered which mod to ask for at least a few days.

This may wind up being theoretical.

It may not.

It's all very subjective.

If, per se, a large portion of the community had a certain mod's profile picture on with quotes from that mod in their member title, for like a day or two, would people get mad about it? Would y'all, the mods, dislike it? Would it be okay? I'm mostly asking because I found the perfect quote and want to be able to use it (it's soooo funny!). 

Now for an actual question for you.

This is equally as important to me.

What is your favorite kind of pizza?

(idk why I felt the need to make it seem dramatic... but I did, so that's that-)

24 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

If, per se, a large portion of the community had a certain mod's profile picture on with quotes from that mod in their member title, for like a day or two, would people get mad about it? Would y'all, the mods, dislike it? Would it be okay? I'm mostly asking because I found the perfect quote and want to be able to use it (it's soooo funny!). 

Apologies to Ene for barging in, but uh, do not impersonate mods.

Just now, Chaos said:

Apologies to Ene for barging in, but uh, do not impersonate mods.

It wouldn't, if it ever happen, been impersonating mods. We would all still have our regular usernames, just the mod's profile picture and quotes from that mod in our member titles. This is all fairly hypothetical because I doubt I'll ever put in the work to make it happen, but it is a possibility. If wearing a mod's pfp is considered impersonating by y'all, I'll be glad to cease and desist with this idea.

Just now, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

It wouldn't, if it ever happen, been impersonating mods. We would all still have our regular usernames, just the mod's profile picture and quotes from that mod in our member titles. This is all fairly hypothetical because I doubt I'll ever put in the work to make it happen, but it is a possibility. If wearing a mod's pfp is considered impersonating by y'all, I'll be glad to cease and desist with this idea.

I mean, it's pretty obvious the thing is to look like a mod for the purposes of entertainment, which is certainly one of the textbook definitions of impersonation. So yeah, don't do that. Or impersonate anyone for that matter.

Just now, Chaos said:

I mean, it's pretty obvious the thing is to look like a mod for the purposes of entertainment, which is certainly one of the textbook definitions of impersonation. So yeah, don't do that. Or impersonate anyone for that matter.

I see that, true. At this point, I most likely won't have another Sharder's pfp except for like one or two specific scenarios (such as if someone who a lot of people including myself was fond of and we want to put on their pfp as a kind of farewell.)

For hypothetical purposes, I'm assuming that if someone were to put on someone else's pfp and be like, "Hey, I'm finally good looking!" in a genuine way, would it be considered impersonation and thus incriminating or would it be considered all in good fun and let fly? This isn't because I'd try to do that in specific, but because I'm curious on what the reaction would be.

On 10/5/2023 at 10:23 PM, The Aspiring Archivist said:

On 10/5/2023 at 10:25 PM, The Wandering Wizard said:

That is fair :P

I need the practice writing female characters over male ones though I still have a male stuck in the form of an animal as is on par for me :P 

True! Back when I thought I was cis (lol) I still wrote some dudes, so point. 

On 10/5/2023 at 10:32 PM, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

What is your favorite kind of pizza?

(idk why I felt the need to make it seem dramatic... but I did, so that's that-)

Because drama is fun. 

Pizza with a bunch of toppings on it. Pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, olives, pineapple, all delicious. Ham, fine. Green onions and peppers don't ruin a pizza but I wouldn't choose them either. Also! It has to have a good crust! If it's thin and barely there, I will be sad. That's an important part of pizza. 

Also, I prefer breadsticks from most places, but I do like pizza now as opposed to like five years ago when I hated it? Good stuff. 

On 10/5/2023 at 11:06 PM, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

For hypothetical purposes, I'm assuming that if someone were to put on someone else's pfp and be like, "Hey, I'm finally good looking!" in a genuine way, would it be considered impersonation and thus incriminating or would it be considered all in good fun and let fly? This isn't because I'd try to do that in specific, but because I'm curious on what the reaction would be.

This would theoretically be okay, I think, if you're just doing the same pfp as them and not changing your username or trying to actually pretend to be them. You're allowed to have the same image. We crack down a little harder on mods because we don't want there to be any doubt or confusion there, but if you're not impersonating the other person, you should be okay. 

Dang, now I want pizza and it's 3am. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 9:40 PM, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

Do you remember, years ago, deep in shard archives, when another mod made your pfp spin?

Wasn't this pretty recent? Mestiv did it, I don't recall the thread name though. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2024 at 4:26 PM, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

Would it be accurate to call Chaos your boss? Or is there a different term you use? (King of Gods? Sliver of Immortality? Stalker of dreams?)

He's the Lord Ruler! 

Serious answer, kiiind of? We all make decisions and talk about stuff together, but Eric is one of the site founders and definitely takes charge of a lot of things, both officially and unofficially. I wouldn't say he's any of our boss, he isn't in charge of other staff members, but he does a lot of organization, makes suggestions, and helps corral things. So not really a boss, but he does organize a lot. 

He's also on my resume, so 😆