16 and Hemalurgy

Joe ST

So, with both Allomancy and Feruchemy, there's 16 metals which each do 16 different things inclusive of the magic's idea. But Hermalurgy (that we know of) not only steals 'standard' effects, but also interacts with the other metal systems. Which leads me to conjecture that it was developed after the other two magics, or re-engineered.

Now let's say it wasn't remade. Which came first, All. or Fer.? I'd say Feruchemy, the 'shared' power....

Well of course, this was all though of before Eric came along and shot me down, *rolls eyes* lol, have it anyway.

So, with both Allomancy and Feruchemy, there's 16 metals which each do 16 different things inclusive of the magic's idea. But Hermalurgy (that we know of) not only steals 'standard' effects, but also interacts with the other metal systems. Which leads me to conjecture that it was developed after the other two magics, or re-engineered.

Now let's say it wasn't remade. Which came first, All. or Fer.? I'd say Feruchemy, the 'shared' power....

Well of course, this was all though of before Eric came along and shot me down, *rolls eyes* lol, have it anyway.

I'm not sure any of the magics came first. I suspect that they all developed at the same time as a result of the interactions between Ruin and Preservation and the world they were creating.

At some point allomancy was redefined so that the number 16 would be a sign. The question to me is not which magic came first, but why do feruchemy and hermalurgy have 16 metals? Perhaps feruchemy, being a balanced magic system, was naturally influenced by Preservation's decision about allomancy. But why hemalurgy? Ruin would have no reason to follow suit and design his magic system to mimic Preservation's.

I'm not sure any of the magics came first. I suspect that they all developed at the same time as a result of the interactions between Ruin and Preservation and the world they were creating.

At some point allomancy was redefined so that the number 16 would be a sign. The question to me is not which magic came first, but why do feruchemy and hermalurgy have 16 metals? Perhaps feruchemy, being a balanced magic system, was naturally influenced by Preservation's decision about allomancy. But why hemalurgy? Ruin would have no reason to follow suit and design his magic system to mimic Preservation's.

my point was more 'why does Hermalurgy have metals dedicated to hacking other powers' and I dont think there's been mentioned that there's only 16 H metals, and why the F and A metals are the same is kinda weird.

The three systems were just there due to the DNA created by the dual actions of Ruin and Preservation.

They can both fuel all three arts, it is just that allomancy is more compatible with Preservation and Hemalury with Ruin.

As to why there are only 16 metals: perhaps that's how the system works? Like not all mushrooms are edible in our world, not all metals are burnable on Scardial.

Edited by Aashyma

my point was more 'why does Hermalurgy have metals dedicated to hacking other powers' and I dont think there's been mentioned that there's only 16 H metals, and why the F and A metals are the same is kinda weird.

Oh, yah, I see your point now. Hmm. I suppose one could speculate that hermalurgy doesn't technically steal powers, it steals spiritual dna, and on Scadrial spiritual dna is what allows one to use allomancy/feruchemy, hence hermalurgy can steal those powers by stealing the right spiritual dna.

Oh, yah, I see your point now. Hmm. I suppose one could speculate that hermalurgy doesn't technically steal powers, it steals spiritual dna, and on Scadrial spiritual dna is what allows one to use allomancy/feruchemy, hence hermalurgy can steal those powers by stealing the right spiritual dna.

I know, but the're still stealing sDNA of something 'un-natural'

Hmm. I suppose one could speculate that hermalurgy doesn't technically steal powers, it steals spiritual dna, and on Scadrial spiritual dna is what allows one to use allomancy/feruchemy, hence hermalurgy can steal those powers by stealing the right spiritual dna.

Sanderson has said that Hemalurgy reorganises spiritual data:

The physical form of a person who has undergone a Hemalurgic

transformation is no longer what we think of it. The direct connection to Preservation starts

keeping them alive. (Imagine stapling someone's soul to another person's soul, their life essence,

then stapling that to the power of creation itself, giving you a conduit directly to power, letting

you leech it and steal it.) That power keeps you alive, despite the wounds.

and

What is happening with Hemalurgy, essentially, is that you're driving a spike through a specific

point on a person's body and ripping off a piece of their soul. It sticks to the spike on the

Spiritual Realm. Then, you place that spike on someone else in a specific place (not exactly the

same place, but on the right spiritual pressure point) and 'hot wire' the spirit to give it Hemalurgy

or Feruchemy. It's like you're fooling the spiritual DNA, creating a work-around. Or, in

some cases, changing the spirit to look like something else, which has the immediate effect of

distorting the body and transforming it into a new creature.

• Chaos locked this topic