So I accidentally became obsessed with the Cosmere

ladymxdnight

Don't do it, I told myself, staring at the podcast on my screen. You know what'll happen.

Ignoring my better judgement, I hit play on Shardcast.

2 weeks (which consisted of many, many Shardcast episodes, WoBs, scrolling through the cosmere tumblr tag way too much, avid fanfiction scouring, and more) later, here I am. Why do I do this to myself? Why do I obsess over fictional characters and plots and worlds? Why have I plunged headfirst into fandomland again (because let me tell you, it did not work out too great when I went loony for the ASoIaF/GoT stuff)(rip to my inner asoiaf nerd)? All great questions I have no answers too. 

But hey, at least I can be obsessed with other cool people on this super-cool fansite! 

So hi. I'm kind of obsessed with the entire concept of the Cosmere, nice to meet you.

Why do I do this to myself? Why do I obsess over fictional characters and plots and worlds? Why have I plunged headfirst into fandomland again (because let me tell you, it did not work out too great when I went loony for the ASoIaF/GoT stuff)(rip to my inner asoiaf nerd)? 

Because the real-world could never offer the amount of craziness fiction does. It also helps us believe in the really cruel and unforgiving world we live in.

So hi. I'm kind of obsessed with the entire concept of the Cosmere, nice to meet you.

Weeelcome ! Start posting theories immediately so that we can start arguing and people starts saying "YOU'RE WROOOONG"

Cosmere is a fascinating thing. It's one of more well-constructed shared universe fictional stories so far. And the concept of shards where powers beyond comprehension that encompasses concepts is just so goddamn fascinating

@Wyndlerunner Thank you for the welcome and the (slightly disturbing) warning. Although that does make me wonder, what would happen if you ingested a hemalurgic spike? Assuming it doesn't pierce you from the inside and it was made of an allomantic metal, could an allomancer burn it? I wonder what that would do. And if it did pierce you, but from the inside of your body... that's interesting to think about. Hmm...

20 hours ago, goody153 said:

Because the real-world could never offer the amount of craziness fiction does. It also helps us believe in the really cruel and unforgiving world we live in.

You know, that's a very good point. 

20 hours ago, goody153 said:

Cosmere is a fascinating thing. It's one of more well-constructed shared universe fictional stories so far. And the concept of shards where powers beyond comprehension that encompasses concepts is just so goddamn fascinating

Honestly I think that's what got me hooked. I really book series that are inter-connected in ways and I really like the idea of world-hopping. And what's really interesting is how all the Shards interpret their names (intents? I don't know the right terminology, sorry if this is a blunder) and have some degree of leeway in how they act. Like Preservation isn't just "good", like he was a big fan of the Lord Ruler! That's horrible. There are a lot of other examples but you get my drift.

13 hours ago, The Harlem Worldhoppers said:

Welcome to the Shard @ladymxdnight! I too fell down the rabbit hole that is the Cosmere. Part of me is happy that I've been able to experience the books and this community while another part of me regrets starting multiple fantasy series which are years away from being finished. 

Thank you @The Harlem Worldhoppers! I totally get what you mean... after I finished Oathbringer I was just like "okay so what am i gonna do with my life until book 4?"