Wit's Fan Club

Hey guys I couldn't find a discussion specifically about Wit so I decided to dedicate this thread to him

Wit/Hoid has admitted to Dalinar that he is neither Herald nor Radiant and we know from Brandon Sanderson's clues that he is something beyond Roshar, since he is unafraid of Jasnah's Shardblade. So Far through the books Wit has appeared at every important twist and turn throughout the book, at least the Alethi part of the world, He is there for character moral development, giving advice to important characters and next-to-outright slandering the characters that we foreshadow to dislike.

Wit is a very important character, appearing and weaving connections between the major characters of the Stormlight Archive so far, and being so charmingly funny about it.

Anyways post the parts of Wit that you like or want to discuss, such as his Jokes, the deeper meanings of his stories, and his remarkable appearance where a major plot twist occurs

Just have to say my favorite Wit moment has to be when he switched places while driving the coach in WoR.

"He ran off giggling like a child, he did"

I can totally see hoid doing something like this but he's the only one who thinks it's hilarious.

Also think about this... He must spend like 95% of his concentration trying not to let info about other shard worlds slip out accidently. Could you imagine how confused people would be if he let the word allomancer or feruchemy or an-dor slip? They already think he's strange but he would go to nuts if he mentioned anything like that

Also think about this... He must spend like 95% of his concentration trying not to let info about other shard worlds slip out accidently. Could you imagine how confused people would be if he let the word allomancer or feruchemy or an-dor slip? They already think he's strange but he would go to nuts if he mentioned anything like that

Kinda like when he accidentally mentions a bunny to Kaladin ;) he recovered from his slip up pretty well though.

Just have to say my favorite Wit moment has to be when he switched places while driving the coach in WoR.

"He ran off giggling like a child, he did"

I think the driver was still Wit. He just lightweaved a little disguise to stop Shallan from hugging him again.

I think the driver was still Wit. He just lightweaved a little disguise to stop Shallan from hugging him again.

I agree that it is still Wit in disguise. I've been trying to think of a motive for that, and hug avoidance is possible. I think it more likely that he didn't want to continue his conversations with K & A, but I'm still not sure.

My favourite Hoid-moment is his appearence in Rock's story. He has such a dramatic appearence, a white-haired "god" coming from the depths of the most holiest sea. And what does he do ? He blows it ! Making fun of some poor guys beard, rather than saying a epic one-liner. Typical Hoid.

Edited by HydrogenAlpha

"You, know, my malodorous, dolorous friend, you remind me of a Mistbor-Surgebinder I once knew..."

"You've known other Surgebinders? Who? Where?"

"Why look, people to make fun of! Be seeing you!"

Pfft Vin never met Hoid. She's far too clever to get mixed up in his bad jokes.

Pfft Vin never met Hoid. She's far too clever to get mixed up in his bad jokes.

Pretty sure he was talking about Kelsier, whom he did meet.

I would never call Amaram an imbecile, because then I would have to explain what that is, and I doubt any of us have the requisite time.

And not really Hoid related, but "Drooling, wall-staring, IMBECILE Amaram!"

EDIT: Wasn't Hoid Slowswift? The story-teller that Vin met in HoA?

(Also added the imbecile Amaram part)

Edited by Khyrindor

He's called Slowswift in the original ? That's so much more awesome than the german translation ! The Mistborn books are the only ones of Sanderson that I read in my native language and I regretted it afterwards. Damnation, they renamed Elend Venture to Elant Wager ( I know Elend is a german word for misfortune, but you can't just rename a main character, can you ? ) and the names of the whole Kelsier crew got screwed up in general. Well, there's another thing I can blame the translators for.

Edit

Fun fact: They named Clubs "Keuler" - thats german slang for a guy that .. well .. plays with himself ( you know what I mean ).

Edited by HydrogenAlpha

What was he called in German?

LangsamSchneller ( translates to SlowFaster )

It might sound interesting to non-germans, but it's quite silly to just translate a name in general. Addionally it might work to play around with two opposite adjectives in english, but if you do that in german you will eventually get a much, much longer word. Slowswift with 9 letters is a lot shorter than LangsamSchneller with 14.

If the translator insists on translating it anyway he could at least do it properly and use the basic form of the word "schnell" instead of the comparative "schneller" (faster/swifter).

Edit: Screwed up quoting

Edited by HydrogenAlpha

Pretty sure he was talking about Kelsier, whom he did meet.

And not really Hoid related, but "Drooling, wall-staring, IMBECILE Amaram!"

EDIT: Wasn't Hoid Slowswift? The story-teller that Vin met in HoA?

(Also added the imbecile Amaram part)

Oh yea think he was the one that told Kelsier about the metal to defeat TLR. Hoid was one of the informants that Vin is meant to meet in HoA but when she sees him humming some tune she gets a gut feeling that something is wrong and leaves.

edit: Here's the WoB

Hoid appears in that same chapter, but Vin doesn't meet him.  Something he does spooks her.  She's just too darn observant for her own good.
Edited by Numb

I agree that it is still Wit in disguise. I've been trying to think of a motive for that, and hug avoidance is possible. I think it more likely that he didn't want to continue his conversations with K & A, but I'm still not sure.

I agree that it was Wit in disguise.  It seems like something easy enough for him to do, all things considered.  However, I expect that he did it strictly for his own amusement, i.e. because he could.  Sounds like a good reason to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah. Love Hoid way more in this series then I did in BS's other ones. Even my nick was in a holy manner adjusted to fit in Wit;).

This time around he actually seems to give a storm about what is happening.

Favorite quote so far is:

"I did not mean to insult your stupidity. Really it's quite spectacular and worthy of much praise."

Got some theories about him that will need some work before posting.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I'm trying to find a specific story that Wit told in Word of Radiance.... its the one about the nature of blame where people were doing bad things and blaming it on the emperor, saying he required this behavior. Then it turns out that the emperor is dead and had been for a while so now all the people had no one to blame but themselves for what they had done. 

The details may be a bit off, but the story is along these lines. I could never find this story when I went back and searched for it, but I really want to hear it again. Does anyone know in which chapter I can find it?

Thanks