ccstat

Swearing in Roshar

61 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, AonEne said:

There are a ton of curses, including many variants of ‘storms’ and ones with religious basis.

How many not related to religion?

Just like here on Earth.

Dunno....I cannot think of any curse words that also serve as standard parts of polite conversation. It would make more sense if storm having developed into a swear had fallen out of use as a general term to describe.....storms.

You’ve never met anyone who insists some aren’t vulgar before?

No. Even if I had, that would be an extreme minority.

16 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

How many not related to religion?

Dunno....I cannot think of any curse words that also serve as standard parts of polite conversation. It would make more sense if storm having developed into a swear had fallen out of use as a general term to describe.....storms.

No. Even if I had, that would be an extreme minority.

I’m not going to go list them all off for you, but if you reread the books while keeping an eye out for curses, there are a good few. Check the OP again. Most are variants on the same word, and most, as said, are religious. 

Have you been in a high school lately? :P Also, ‘God’ is an extremely common curse which is also used heavily as a topic of normal conversation. 

Trust me. There are many people out there who see nothing wrong with curses. And in different cultures, curses are different, as are their level of vulgarity to different people. Not anywhere close to a minority. 

41 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I’m not going to go list them all off for you

I got it: storm, storms, stormy, storming, stormo, stormoski (Jesus, someone, stop me)

Have you been in a high school lately? :P

No, but a certain group spewing profanity doesn't make foul language clean.

Also, ‘God’ is an extremely common curse which is also used heavily as a topic of normal conversation.

It is but I don't equate blaspheming God with use of a common term like storms.

Trust me. There are many people out there who see nothing wrong with curses.

...I'm one of those people, but only a fool thinks that vulgarities are appropriate in any situation.

I wouldn't say "I don't (f-word :rolleyes:) know" to my boss or anything similar. 

No, I dont need you to tell me that culture varies from business to business and that some bosses are fine with their subordinates cursing.

Christ, I don't even know why I'm arguing any of this when curse words are straight up banned on this very site.

19 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

No, but a certain group spewing profanity doesn't make foul language clean.

It is but I don't equate blaspheming God with use of a common term like storms.

...I'm one of those people, but only a fool thinks that vulgarities are appropriate in any situation.

No, I dont need you to tell me that culture varies from business to business and that some bosses are fine with their subordinates cursing.

I don't even know why I'm arguing any of this when curse words are straight up banned on this very site.

Depends on your definition of foul language. For most people, it wouldn’t. For me it wouldn’t. Others think it hinges on the group you’re in and what their views are. Different philosophies *shrugs* 

Nor do I, I’m just saying curses are commonly used. 

I would agree with that, but others wouldn’t. Some wouldn't consider the words we think are vulgarities to be vulgarities. 

I wasn’t talking about businesses; I was talking about cultures in different nations, etc. 

Only the ones Brandon doesn’t use, for the purpose of making the site family-friendly. All the ones he does use are allowed, save for d- becoming d-ation, because they thought it’d be a fun Roshar thing I assume.

On 3/26/2014 at 0:26 PM, kari-no-sugata said:

Bit of a tangent but anyone else notice that Shallan seems to swear a lot more towards the end of the book? I haven't actually counted this though so it may be a false impression. I think it's just a "side effect" of her character development - it's like she spent the last 6 years repressing herself and is now making up for lost time...

I definitely noticed this as well. I thought it was a really nice touch by Brandon to show the character growth of Shallan throughout the book.

10 hours ago, AonEne said:

Depends on your definition of foul language. For most people, it wouldn’t. For me it wouldn’t. Others think it hinges on the group you’re in and what their views are. Different philosophies *shrugs* 

Pretty much everyone thinks it hinges on the group you're in.....that's the point. Common nouns like "storm" aren't words in the real world that you have to worry about situational context. That's why I find it so odd.

If storms morphed into a vulgarity there should be a replacement word for describing the weather condition. A word we use as slang for a penis is no longer used to describe a detective. A word we use for homosexuals is no longer used to categorize a cheerful person. Storms being both a standard noun and a vulgarity is just silly as heck.

Only the ones Brandon doesn’t use, for the purpose of making the site family-friendly.

Yes.....which is why I'm not sure why you're making arguments like "teens curse all the time" or "other people in the world have different curse words."

If your goal is to convince me use of storms in Stormlight actually reflects real world vulgarities, give me some examples from our world that share a similar usage.

4 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

If storms morphed into a vulgarity there should be a replacement word for describing the weather condition. A word we use as slang for a penis is no longer used to describe a detective. A word we use for homosexuals is no longer used to categorize a cheerful person. Storms being both a standard noun and a vulgarity is just silly as heck.

Yet you cannot discuss Christian theology without "hell" or "damnation".
And nobody seriously says: A domesticated canine is defecating onto the grassy decoration anterior to your domicile. Some words do remain in dual use.

6 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Yet you cannot discuss Christian theology without "hell" or "damnation".
And nobody seriously says: A domesticated canine is defecating onto the grassy decoration anterior to your domicile. Some words do remain in dual use.

Notice we are not discussing religious terms.....I specifically excluded them. Use of Almighty and Damnation dont bother me at all in Stormlight. Use of the word storm does. I find it silly.

No idea what you're talking about. 

Posted (edited)

Your argument is confusing me. :P Have you not ever heard someone use the s word to just mean poop in causal conversation, or the f word to mean two people doing the thing? 

Also, religious curses are pretty inextricably linked with non-religious ones in terms of language. Still commonly used. 

Edited by AonEne

13 hours ago, AonEne said:

Your argument is confusing me. :P Have you not ever heard someone use the s word to just mean poop in causal conversation, or the f word to mean two people doing the thing? 

S word? F word? Why didn't you type out the words?

Either because that sort of vulgarity is not allowed on the site or you're not comfortable using the terms I'm sure. Because of course, people using curse words doesn't somehow change that they are curse words, right?

Storms is different. It can be used at one moment and someone would think you need to wash your mouth with soap and in the next instance, someone would find it a perfectly acceptable polite way to refer to a weather condition. If we were on Roshar using this site, storms would't be blocked because it couldn't be blocked because what else are you going to use in place of the term? Rosharans certainly don't have any oft used alternative.

That's pretty much all I have to say there. This dragged on for quite some time from an intended one off comment.

4 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

S word? F word? Why didn't you type out the words? Either because that sort of vulgarity is not allowed on the site or you're not comfortable using the terms I'm sure. 

Both. 

Your argument still makes no sense to me, but I’m happy to let it drop. You think it’s stupid, I think it’s genius. Cool cool.