Nalthis as a video game setting

I am re-reading Warbreaker and I just can't get over how amazingly well this world would work for a video game!

The vibrancy, or lack, of color could look amazing and be used to create a very neat world. 

The Breath based magic system is already inherently level based with the heightenings.

I picture a world that becomes more diverse and colorful as one gains more Breaths.  This could aid in locating hidden doors or detecting items/traps etc.. Also as one gains more Breaths things like lifesense and increased health come into play. To counter it you have Lifeless and Drabs that can not be detected so your enemies can be balanced naturally to your current status.

Couple this with Awakening abilities as you learn more commands and gain more Breaths and this could be an awesome game.  It would be awesome if all objects in game could be awakened and a limited number of Commands made available. You give up Breaths in order to animate objects which translates into trading internal abilities for an external benefit.  If you can get the Breaths back great if not you are stuck at your new Breath level till you can get more.  Buy breaths, convince others to give you breaths etc.. and you level up.

This world to me was MADE to be a video game.  You have to conform other books, even Mistborn, into a video game scenarios with leveling and balancing but they always seem artifically restricted in order to create a working /sequential gameplay. Nalthis and Awakening....it is organic.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a nice idea, maybe if Birthright does as well as it is capable of, they may eventually adapt Nalthis to consoles. I think this game would definitely excel in graphics and puzzles. The only thing I'm a little skeptical of is combat. Magic systems like Allomancy or Surgebinding (Windrunning) seem almost engineered for combat. Awakening feels like a less combat oriented art so I would only be worried about that. I can only think of using lifeless and basic weapons in combat. I really like this idea and now you have got me thinking, gotta go share this with my WB addicted friend.

I'd always envisioned a Nalthis-set videogame as being a kind of strategy game set during the manywar, where you can trade the productivity and army potential of your citizens for vast, powerful single breath units or awakened objects, or for armies of lifeless.

Yeah, stealth is a great thing to add as an idea. Whenever I picture the stealth aspect I think of something kind of like assassins creed where you are going around on roofs and sneaking except you awaken to help with your stealth. You can also buy different colour clothes for camouflage perhaps. I was just reading about the fight between Vasher and Denth starting with Vasher being tossed from the building and I thought of how that would be such a sweet level in which you draw nightblood and finally are sort of invincible but you have a time limit and then you find your way to Denth. Then you have the final boss fight with Denth. Only problem is, there aren't enough action scenes in Warbreaker itself but I wish that one set of chapters could be a bonus level. Do you think that Yesteel will be the villain for one book or during the whole series of Nalthis novels? Or will he not be a villain?

It could be a Stealth game Starring Yesteel. And you can easily Turn awakening into Combat.

Hold things = Paralyse

Fight as me = Conjuration

Protect me = Armor

Annoy the Returned in this Palace = Troll

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 511899952 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Did Brandon truly say this? If that is true that pains me a lot because there is so much more to explore on Nalthis, we only really saw Hallendren, didn't see much of the other countries, there is unknown magic still, unknown histories and it seems like Nightblood would have to be an enormous book to conclude all of this as well as establishing why Vasher worldhopped. I really hope there are more Nalthis books, it is a world with fine potential. On the other hand regarding the video game, Who thinks a Manywar prequel game would offer more options to the game? You could maybe play as some soldier in the war who gradually becomes an awakener and acquires their own agendas. It could be a made up character for the game like Fiddle in Birthright. 

I think that the Stormlight Archive would work better, because the magic would be significantly easier to develop into a workable system for combat.

Pros: Awesome setting, rich magic.

Cons: Attempting to interact with certain characters, objects, and areas would result in a big red screen with an "RAFO" stamp, at least for now.

Pros: Awesome setting, rich magic.

Cons: Attempting to interact with certain characters, objects, and areas would result in a big red screen with an "RAFO" stamp, at least for now.

Well, you would have to wait until the last book came out, of course. But then it would be cool.

• 7 months later...