Not quite as evocative as Cattlerustler, but I like it.

The multiple layers of meaning of the word Shard on Roshar adds to it. Residents of Roshar would be thinking "It's spren more powerful than a shardblade/plate!" and the Cosmere aware would be thinking on a whole different level.

Where do you land on this one, Trevor? Do you think Odium left a godspren?

Also, is there another shard that may have visited Roshar and wandered off after leaving a spren behind? (I know that technically Adonalsium has visited, but I don't really dig the idea of adonspren - seems too powerful to me) Perhaps Dominion swung by to say hi millennia ago and left behind a godspren? Or any of the others before Odium really got into the swing of things?

I think that there is definitely some sort of Odium Godspren, but I doubt that it is bondable. In Chapter 32 The One Who Hates:

Something rose before Kaladin. A second storm, one of red lightning, so enormous as to make the continent--the world itself--into nothing by comparison. Everything fell into its shadow. 

Kaladin is having a vision at this point, so can we assume that communication from/with the Stormfather is based in the Cognitive realm? If this is the case, the my theory is that the Everstorm is actually the Odium Godspren, but he had been trapped in the cognitive realm until the end of the events of WoR. 

"Who? The storm?"

"The one who hates," she whispered. "The darkness inside. Kaladin, he's watching. Something's going to happen. Something bad."

From this quip we know that the storm is following Szeth and watching him, because that is what's coming. It would also make sense that he'd be closely following Szeth, as he was the most hateful being on Roshar at that point. Was the everstorm maybe trying to bond with Szeth? We know that it's difficult to impossible to bond to them, so that would explain why it couldn't bond, or even reach out to Szeth, and why it could with the Listeners since they are more closely attuned to the cognitive realm. 

So at the end of WoR, the Gospren has been plucked from the cognitive realm and moved into the physical, and now is forcing bonds with the Listeners because of the power of the spren. But I definitely can't agree with a Bondsmith being able to bond with an Odium Godspren. 

Edit: Added second quote.

Edited by EMTrevor

• Chaos locked this topic