Theory: Elokhar was being watched by voidspren.

Daishi5

I hope I am not just repeating someone elses work, but theories have been flying very fast and a few searches found nothing. (Of course finding absolutely nothing leads me to believe I am doing it wrong.)

In the way of kings, I thought Elokhar was seeing the same symbolheads that Shallan was seeing.  However, Elokhar says he sees them in mirrors watching him, which is different from Shallan who sees them through her drawings.

"I see their faces in the mirrors.  Symbols, twisted, inhuman..."

Elohkar says to Kaladin that he has stopped seeing the symbol heads around now that Kaladin is guarding him.  

Pattern also makes a statement to someone who called him a voidbringer that to see a voidbringer she needed to look in a mirror.  Normally the "if you want to see something bad/evil, look in a mirror" is an insult intended to imply the bad person is the one making the comment.  But, with Pattern's love of "true lies" he may be telling the truth while also being insulting, and that may mean that some form of voidspren were following Elokhar around.

"Know you nothing of Patterns, old human?"  "Voidbringers have no pattern, Besides, I have read of them in your lore.  They speak of spindly arms like bone, and horrific faces.  I should think, if you wish to find one, the mirror might be a location where you can begin your search."

So, TLDR, I believe that what Elokhar was seeing in the mirror were voidspren who were watching him.

It makes sense, but I'm really hoping it was cryptics watching them, for no other reason that I love Elhokar and hope he will become a KR.

That, and the fact that he seems more prone to whining rather than rage -- he's not Odium material IMO.

Going off the descriptions in The Way of Kings and some of Words of Radiance, most of us wrote this off as him seeing Cryptics. Granted, when this theory came up, we didn't know almost anything about the Cryptics, but I believe the TWoK passages talk about figures with too-still robes and strange geometries for faces. 

The fact that the things that Elhokar saw went away when Kaladin was around is probably a stronger argument that these things were voidspren than Pattern's insult is. However, we do know that cryptics and honorspren aren't the most congenial of bedfellows, perhaps Syl just drove them away... yet, Pattern doesn't run away when Kaladin is around, so I doubt we can attribute the disappearance of these things to mere sprenish incivility.

Elhokar's description of them did remind me of Syl's description of the red-lightning stormspren that created the Everstorm. The fact that Elhokar seems rather adept at causing others to hate him might actually be an Odius sign.

Perhaps I have misunderstood it, but I think we have WoB on this: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/2383-qa-with-brandon-sanderson/page-5#entry42190

Q: Some dictionaries list two meanings for the word "odium": the feeling of strong hatred, and that which provokes hatred from others. Do both of these apply to the Shard with that name?

A: Yes

Ivory didn't even want to be mentioned, let alone seen. Running away from Syl hardly proves much. 

Unless we made some wild assumptions that it was foreshadowed  they were stormspren by Adoling telling Kal he had a face that could scare away a storm.

Joke aside, Elhokar's description was similar to Jasnah's experience in the prologue and SHallans drawings in WoK, so I'd say he was seeing the third shadesmar-ish spren - that of the Willshapers. Imo, Elhokar made a step back in WoR, so that might be part of the reason the spren disappeared; he just went further away from being a potential surgebinder and the spren withdrew. Or just shied away from Syl.

• Chaos locked this topic