A theory about Kaladin's family

Elena

Also, there's Kaladin's name. It's stated by 90% of people who hear it that it sounds like a lighteye's name. I'm starting to think that this isn't just coincidence after all; his parents wouldn't just give him a lighteyed name for no reason.

I just came up with a crack-pot theory.  Fair warning, it's so out there that not even I believe it.  There is a way that Hesina could be a lighteyes herself.  She could be applying those eyedrops that turn a lighteyed persons eyes dark.  Why she would do that, I don't know.  It also seems like a pretty big ruse to hide from two children, let alone the rest of Hearthstone.  Still, it would explain her education and speaking.

• 9 months later...

EDIT: I was mocking myself. As I was the person who was being quoted originally. I don't know if that was the reason for the down vote, or if it was something else I said. I just wanted to clarify. I agree this theory has legs and am extremely happy to be quoted by anyone. :P

I think it's crap! I don't know who this "Snot" guy is, but he sounds like he needs to learn how to read. It's "Nahn" and "Dahn" Jesus.. what a jerk! :P

I am glad to see that I'm not the only one who thought there was something more to Kaladin's mysterious mother. :D 

I have been listening to the SA books again, while at work. I haven't found any reason to think otherwise about this theory. No piece of information that jumped out at me to deflate it. I still think she's a "One Eye" though. Which I think is the term used to describe someone who is either both light eyed and dark or is born dark eyed to light eyed parents.

There a few reasons I think this, here are the major instances that come to mind. She is religious in a place that doesn't have its own ardents. She is gifted at wordplay, which Shallan attributes to something frivolous the light eyed do almost exclusively. She has an air of regality to her, as described by Kaladin. She's married to a high nahn dark eyes. Which means her family is at least well to do, otherwise Lirin might have been dissuaded from marrying her.

I'll admit it's also possible that she is light eyed using drops. The only reason I can come up with why she'd do that though, is if she were pregnant before marriage. In order to keep it all hush hush, she moved to Hearthstone with Lirin, where she gave birth after the two of them eloped. Then later, after the scandal had died down or when the timeframe of the pregnancy could be hidden, she wrote her parents and kept in touch via letter. If she had been a light eyed woman, having the baby of a dark eyed man. Even a respected, high nahn, surgeon, she would have drawn attention and ridicule from the people of Hearthstone. So to make it just a normal event, she darkened her eyes and then was sort of stuck in the lie from then on. Any other reason for her continually masking her eye color is beyond me. It just seems like too much work for just a simple deception or for possible anonymity. I don't see her doing it and not telling her children either. It is one of those things that is easy to let them know about from birth, incase they ever meet their grandparents, who happen to have light eyes.

Edited by snote

I just came up with a crack-pot theory.  Fair warning, it's so out there that not even I believe it.  There is a way that Hesina could be a lighteyes herself.  She could be applying those eyedrops that turn a lighteyed persons eyes dark.  Why she would do that, I don't know.  It also seems like a pretty big ruse to hide from two children, let alone the rest of Hearthstone.  Still, it would explain her education and speaking.

It was speculated some time back that one of Hesina's parents might be lighteyed.

Interesting theory.

The Trolling is strong with this one. ;)

Wasn't there a recent word-of-Brian that Hesina came from a very highly ranked family, and marrying Lirin was a "step down" for her, in terms of Alethi social ranking?

I have suspected for some time that (very short) Lirin might not be the biological father of (invariably described as extra-tall) Kaladin. Then there are all the physical differences between Kal and Tien. Something's fishy in the family.

Edited by Zea mays

I have suspected for some time that (very short) Lirin might not be the biological father of (invariably described as extra-tall) Kaladin. Then there are all the physical differences between Kal and Tien. Something's fishy in the family.

In keeping with my recent posts of wild speculation:

If surgebinding is genetic, as has been speculated in the boards, and we have seen one family with a lot of potential and actual radianst, could

either a) Kaladin be the love child of Hesina and Galinar (whom Navanni seems to imply had extra marital affairs) and Lirin did the honourable thing and took her in,

or b: Hesina is related to the Alethi royal line in some way, thus bestowing the surgebinding genes to Kaladin and Tien (whom it is believed was a proto-lightweaver).

I like wild speculation B  for my part.

Edited by Kelek's Breath

All the Lighteyes nowadays descended from Radiants, I believe. Investiture would seem to grant one Lighteyes, or at the very least, a bond of some kind would.

So that would mean that, if Surgebinding is biological, then it could come from any family line, not just exclusively Dalinar's. 

Was this thread necro'd because of the following WOB from a couple of weeks ago?

Fan: can you tell me anything about Kaladin's maternal grandparents?

BWS: Let's just say that his mother (you're asking a very astute question) gave up more than most people gave up in that city to go be what she became. She's definitely fallen in social standing since her childhood. She took a hit.

<copied verbatim from Wetlander's post on tor dot com Words of Radiance reread, chapter 23, post 122. The link feature really messes with my computer, sorry>

For Kaladin to be half Lighteyes it would go against what is currently known about halfbreeds seing as he doesn't have heterochromia. That should rule out the possibilities of Hesina being full Lighteyes but hiding it (but not part, as I don't think we know what happens further down the line) or any other half-and-half combination (lovechild etc.). Still possible that something is up with his family longer back or in an other way though.

I agree that Kaladin's mother is probably from a wealthy and influential family, but I don't think that family is Alethi.

Absolutely no proof of the following statement nor do I believe there to be any.  Wouldn't be awesome if Shallan was his long lost sister.  That would make Kaladin Luke, Shallan Leia and Adolin Han.

All the Lighteyes nowadays descended from Radiants, I believe.

I think most Lighteyes probably descended from those who obtained the discarded Shards of the Radiants during the Recreance. But you're right about Surgebinding not being exclusive to Dalinar's family line.

Fan: Can you tell me anything about Kaladin’s maternal grandparents?

BWS: Let’s just say that his mother (you’re asking a very astute question) gave up more than most people gave up in that city to go be what she became. She’s definitely fallen in social standing since her childhood. She took a hit.

Very Interesting indeed =)

• 2 years later...
  • Chaos locked this topic