Swear filter

Mailliw73

When did the forums get this update? I think it's hilarious and I've only just seen a few! this was a great idea!

These are the ones I've seen:
Hell (H)-this used to be Calamity
chull (A)
Even putting *** gets a new message. ;) " This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules "
If this is offensive or inappropriate, would a mod or admin please delete it?

Edited by Mailliw73

This was put in pretty recently. You're fine, by the way.

I have been informed that the ones involving "hell" are way too restrictive, as it is Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, not Forests of Calamity. The others are funny though.

Huh, that's an awesome way to censor things. I didn't know you could do that.

By the way, I just had an image of Oscar Leroy shouting, "Jackchull!" at people, and nearly fell out of my chair laughing. :P (Kudos to anybody who actually knows what I'm talking about.)

Hell was a little silly, but the rest are great. I wonder though: would it be possible to set some sort of random chance to it, so that one time you'd get storming, dusting another, and occasionally something ridiculous like "By Jezrien's Beard" or something similar? I'd probably end up swearing a lot though lol to see what comes up.

Edited by PorridgeBrick

Hell was a little silly, but the rest are great. I wonder though: would it be possible to set some sort of random chance to it, so that one time you'd get storming, dusting another, and occasionally something ridiculous like "By Jezrien's Beard" or something similar? I'd probably end up swearing a lot though lol to see what comes up.

And I think that is reason enough not to do it.  I don't think the site wants to promote swearing, and I think that would?

Eh, but it wouldn't really be swearing. Just humorous intent. It removes the age issues, and it's rather hard to feel vehemently angry at a post telling you to go storm the storm off, you storming stormer. We're all mature enough here to appreciate a bit of juvenile humour, I hope.

Huh, that's an awesome way to censor things. I didn't know you could do that.

By the way, I just had an image of Oscar Leroy shouting, "Jackchull!" at people, and nearly fell out of my chair laughing. :P (Kudos to anybody who actually knows what I'm talking about.)

I know exactly who Oscar Leroy is and I laughed out loud when I saw that. :D

I suggest using shshshsh as a blanket filter for swear words.

This is also hilarious to me. I am going to break a rule of mine and include two grinning smilies in the same post: :D

EDIT: Incorrect quote formatting.

Edited by Kobold King

Oh man. This tempts me to just type/talk like normal on this site now. I have to censor myself so much for these forums, lol. I actually end up using some of the filters anyway, so this is even better, since I get to see new/different Cosmere curses! And I'm really okay with it, I totally understand why and get it. There's just been a few times I've had to review my paragraphs before I hit the Post button. ;)

I'll storming swear as much as I want to, I'll drop rust and chull bombs as much as I see fit, and there's no way in Calamity you can censor me, damnation!
(Note, I actually typed all of those out, but if that's flirting the line too much feel free to edit/remove it. It's just fun to type like this)

While I appreciate the effort to keep the forums clean, and respect the rights of the administrators to censor language in the forum that they host, I am concerned by the conversion of the word <Christian Underworld> to calamity.

Suppose a new 17th Sharder read a post about the short story "Shadows for Silence in the Forests of calamity" and decided to find the story by doing an internet search on that phrase.  They would not find a link a webpage discussing the Dangerous Women anthology, but instead would only get links to the 17th shard forum.

Is there a way to get the filter to ignore the word if it is prefaced by the phrase "Shadows for Silence in the Forests of "?

In the mean time, we need to find a way to prevent Brandon from naming any more of his works with swears in the titles.  Otherwise we might end up with a forum thread discussing the new short story "Merciful Domi Shatters the Glass Storming Harmony" ;)

Edited by MathEpic

As Eric said earlier in this topic, the filter had the word hell removed for precisely that reason.

So, the word was censored to deliberately make life difficult for the newcomer?  What reason are you referencing here?

I think I get the joke.  However every joke has a cost.  Sometimes the cost is small, (such as relieving the tension in the room) and sometimes the cost is larger (such as loosing the respect of all in attendance.)

The point of my post was to illustrate the cost of this particular joke and add my voice to those that think that the entertainment is not worth the cost.

So, the word was censored to deliberately make life difficult for the newcomer?  What reason are you referencing here?

I think I get the joke.  However every joke has a cost.  Sometimes the cost is small, (such as relieving the tension in the room) and sometimes the cost is larger (such as loosing the respect of all in attendance.)

The point of my post was to illustrate the cost of this particular joke and add my voice to those that think that the entertainment is not worth the cost.

Actually what Windy is saying is that Hell no longer autocorrects to calamity.

Actually what Windy is saying is that Hell no longer autocorrects to calamity.

As far as I can tell it still does

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/4263-legion-ii/?p=82185

Edit: The comment linked to did the auto-correct when I first made this post.  Since then, the auto-correct no longer seems to happen.

Edited by MathEpic