Greetings, programs.

darniil

I've already posted in the Coppermind forum, as well as adding some info to the wiki, but I figured I'd make a post here (once I realized this was here) so as to make an "official" hello.

I'll go ahead and admit this: I never knew about Sanderson or his stories until I heard that he was finishing off WoT. A couple of my friends beat me to his books, (we wanted to check out the work of the guy chosen for this monumental task), and they gave high praise for the stuff they read. So I borrowed their copies of Mistborn and fell in love. It took me a while to get through the three of them, as I was also reading books about a certain wizarding detective, as well as books about some Romans who discovered magic (after a fashion), but I eventually found Warbreaker, too. Then Way of Kings came out, and I discovered the new tomes that I'd be devouring for the next decade or so, whenever they came out. (As an aside, speaking of tomes, that was one of the most entertaining times when I was in high school: looking at the expressions on the faces of my classmates when I told them I was reading The Illuminatus! Trilogy for fun.)

I hope to be able to contribute more to the wiki. As a reader and a fan of various things, I love being able to find a resource online, perhaps even with a community, and learn more about things that I totally missed when I read the books (or played the games, or whatever) on my own, and I'd like to be able to add something somewhere, to help make that possible for a future (or even current) fan of Sanderson's books.

---

A little more about me: comic books and drawing were a big part of my childhood, which is why I have an AA in Art and still keep all my old comics, even though I've pretty much stopped collecting them.

I have a BA in Geography and wouldn't mind getting a Masters in it, and I work full-time as a GIS Analyst.

My first "nerdgasm" for Way of Kings involved the maps, which was facilitated by the fact that WoK's cartographer was present at the signing where I picked up my copy. He told me to try to find discrepancies, if I could; I tried, but only found one thing worth mentioning. (And it was something resolved simply by holding the book at an angle. :-/ )

I've been to Dragon*Con every year since 1992, so if any of you are going, I may see you there this year. (Or I may not. Dang thing is huge.)

Hello! I am Emeralis00, I hang around the General Discussion and RP boards.

He told me to try to find discrepancies, if I could; I tried, but only found one thing worth mentioning. (And it was something resolved simply by holding the book at an angle. :-/ )

Can you tell me what it was, or curiosity is probably gonna eat me brain and start the zombie apocalypse.

Welcome to the 17th Shard!

I'll go ahead and admit this: I never knew about Sanderson or his stories until I heard that he was finishing off WoT.

I'm the same, actually. It makes me very glad that he was the one picked to finish that series. Not only is he doing a great job on WoT, but a bunch of people, myself included, have now discovered how awesome his own books are.

Glad you're interested in helping out with the wiki. I've seen some very awesome wiki sites for other works of fiction that have just a ton of depth and detail about everything related to their subject, and they're awesome. The Coppermind still has a ways to go of course, but I look foward to seeing it progress.

Can you tell me what it was, or curiosity is probably gonna eat me brain and start the zombie apocalypse.

Well, while I'm all for the zombie apocalypse, and I'd love the infamy associated with bringing it about, I guess it's still best to answer the question. :)

Here's (most of) the email I sent to Isaac:

The area that jumped out at me was on the Shattered Plains, near the Tower. Comparing Navani's sketch on page 884 with the Prime Map on page 182, I couldn't help but notice the accuracy of the Tower and its surrounding plateaus between the two drawings. (Personally, I found that rather impressive, given the scale differences.) The discrepancy I noticed, however, was not between two drawings, but between the drawings and the text.

Page 893, last paragraph: "Only three adjacent plateaus could provide staging areas for assaults, all along the western or northwestern side." Navani's sketch clearly shows conformity to the earlier map, with two plateaus to the west, and one to the southwest. Brandon's later description of the battle at the tower matches Navani's sketch of troop movements, too. Neither map shows an adjacent plateau to the northwest.

I really hate to be one to accuse an author of making mistakes describing his own world, but if *I'm* not the one misunderstanding things, (which is certainly possible), then that's the only conclusion I can come to. After all, I can't find any fault with the two maps and the description of the battle at the Tower. Is it possible for you to shed some light on this for me?

I don't want to copy/paste his response without his permission, but his response, in summary, was:

The battle at the Tower was complex, and it changed several times. Sanderson tried to sync up with Stewart's maps, Stewart tried to match the copy of Sanderson's text that he had handy, and the end result was that the text and maps still didn't agree. However, if the map of the Tower is rotated 45 degrees clockwise, the text and map fit much better.

It makes me very glad that he was the one picked to finish that series. Not only is he doing a great job on WoT, but a bunch of people, myself included, have now discovered how awesome his own books are.

This. 100%

Hello darniil!

Welcome! Thank you for taking some Coppermind articles under your wing; I know a mindboggling about of work still exists to be done on it, but every edit helps. (Well, at least, your edits have been helpful so far. :) )

Anyway, feel free to PM me any questions about the wiki. And thank you so much for helping with the wiki!

-Chach

Welcome, darniil! I've been enjoying your edits on the wiki so far, and I'm glad you could join us.

I'm Eric, aka Chaos, and I'm the forum/site administrator. I probably know too much about Shards. You'll see me around a lot.

Greetings! I'm one of your friendly neighborhood admins, and I too found out about Brandon through Wheel of Time, so you're definitely not alone! He's gained a small army of new fans that way.

I hope you enjoy it here, and thanks for all your work on the wiki!

Greetings! I'm one of your friendly neighborhood admins, and I too found out about Brandon through Wheel of Time, so you're definitely not alone! He's gained a small army of new fans that way.

I hope you enjoy it here, and thanks for all your work on the wiki!

Small? HAH! Thats a good one :P

And me three @ coming from WoT

• Chaos locked this topic