Quick Question

Saikyk

Ok so I'm not sure if this was addressed in the books and I'm just dumb, but I have a quick thing to ask about iron and steel allomancy:

When Allomancers push or pull metals, do they push/pull toward the center of their body always, or are they able to decide which part of their body the metal is pushing/pulling towards(i.e. like a lurcher can pull a coin to either hand)

7 hours ago, Calderis said:

It's always center of mass. 

I would say it's the case most of the time, but maybe not always.  There are a couple of scenes where this doesn't hold up from a physics perspective (Zane rotating is the main one), but it's hard to say if it was intentional (implying advanced Allomantic techniques) or just an oversight on Brandon's part.  

See this thread:

I think that given that Steel/Iron work outside of normal physics, it might be possible someone to push from another part of their body if their perspective changed on the things they where pushing on. We can see that the way you view the world around you in the Cosmere has a huge amount to do with how you can effect it.

15 minutes ago, RShara said:

It's not actually center of mass. It's the chest, which could be considered the center of the Cognitive mass. Your center of mass is actually a little below the belly button, depending on gender.

I know that that's where the lines are shown to come from, but if that were the case everyone would be getting flipped over all the time, because the offset force would generate a rotation.  

This is actually a really complicated issue, because 

1) Brandon has said that he intended for it to be center of mass

2) But the lines are from the chest, IIRC because Brandon thought that was center of mass when first writing the books 

3) also I believe there are some instances of mistborn and coinshots accurately shooting coins from the hand, which would be pretty difficult using actual center of mass but not too hard from the chest. I don't remember any specific instances of this, however, so it's possible that they always use shotgun-like sprays of coins 

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I know that that's where the lines are shown to come from, but if that were the case everyone would be getting flipped over all the time, because the offset force would generate a rotation.  

They brace themselves or push backward, is how that's explained. As Quickbronze said, I believe Brandon thought the chest was the center of mass back when he wrote Era 1, and he's kinda stuck with it now.

• Chaos locked this topic