Ashspren

Tournament: Cosmere Character Roast Battles

1,060 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

That was amazing Herowannabe!

I loved the Hoed Choir, there lines are incredibly well written, they sound like a classical Greek chorus from Aesychlus. The meter of this line is phenomenal:

And I love the ending, it's classic Grump.

Thanks! My goal with the Hoed choir was to come up with lines that would work as individual Hoed mantras, but which would also reflect Galladon’s (ridiculously melodramatic) grief. Well, except for the “beautiful once” mantra, which was more of an homage to the book. 

EDIT: Congrats on hitting 1,000 posts a few posts ago, by the way!

Edited by Herowannabe

12 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Congrats on hitting 1,000 posts a few posts ago, by the way!

Thanks! Have been livin' the Shard life for 1.13415... years now. My 1000th post was to tell you how good your Roast was, I loved the Hoed choir. Do you ever read Hoed like it's the word Coed? Like on a college campus in Elantris they might have a Hoed dormitory.

1 hour ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Thanks! Have been livin' the Shard life for 1.13415... years now. My 1000th post was to tell you how good your Roast was, I loved the Hoed choir. Do you ever read Hoed like it's the word Coed? Like on a college campus in Elantris they might have a Hoed dormitory.

In the Graphic Audio version (the only version I’ve ever felt the need to partake of) they pronounce it “Ho-eed,” so that’s how I’ve always pronounced it. Which is why I rhymed it with “no heed.” *shrug*

Edited by Herowannabe
Auto-corrupt

33 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

In the Graphic Audio version (the only version I’ve ever felt the need to partake of) they pronounce it “Ho-eed,” so that’s how I’ve always pronounced it. Which is why I rhymed it with “no heed.” *shrug*

That pronunciation makes a lot more sense, and is a lot better than saying it like the past participle of the verb "hoe", like "The ska farmer Hoed his turnip patch to get the ash off".

That's a great rhyme, by the way, and I can see it now that I have the pronunciation key. I love those rhymes where you rhyme a 2 syllable word to a pair of 1 syllable words, very satisfying.

2 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

"The ska farmer Hoed his turnip patch to get the ash off".

If you’ll excuse me, I was very happy on that turnip.

5 hours ago, Ashspren said:

If you’ll excuse me, I was very happy on that turnip.

It is your turnip-ment, after all.

Sorry for the wait, everyone! This week has been super busy for me so far, and I got caught up in the rush of things. 

Congrats to @Paranoid King and @Herowannabe for their victory this round! 

@Gray to and @Toaster Retribution, you have 24 hours (probably more, depending on when I get on the Shard) to post your Returned names. 

I'll post the next group of competitors as soon as possible, but I'm on a tight schedule right now and don't have the chance. Sorry again for the inconsistency, everyone. I'm trying my hardest, I promise. :P 

Ah well it was a fun round anyway!

My Returned name is Skyborn the Free

Can your Returned name be whatever? As long as it sounds Returned-y? In that case my name is Toasted the Roasted.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Can your Returned name be whatever? As long as it sounds Returned-y? In that case my name is Toasted the Roasted.

For the character, but I totally love that...