Tournament: Cosmere Character Roast Battles

3 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

@Ashspren I dont want to throw a load of work at you, but it would be helpful if you could add a list of the participants in the tournament-to-begin to the OP.

Will do! 

Also, @Nictorius @Edgedancer Jak @Perspective @BitBitio... I hate to say this, but if you don’t respond by January 1, I am going to continue the competition without you. 

I’ll extend the start date to January 1, so with the New Year, we’ll start the competition... hopefully this all works out. :) 

12 hours ago, Ashspren said:

Will do! 

Also, @Nictorius @Edgedancer Jak @Perspective @BitBitio... I hate to say this, but if you don’t respond by January 1, I am going to continue the competition without you. 

I’ll extend the start date to January 1, so with the New Year, we’ll start the competition... hopefully this all works out. :) 

@Ashspren let's go with...

Well, someone out there, choose for me. I don't know.

45 minutes ago, Spacefaring Ferring said:

@Ashspren  I'd love to but I don't think I will have time to work on roasts... :(

Just put @Ark1002 instead. Sorry! 

No worries, thanks for letting me know! 

@Perspective is out, too. @Kidpen, you're going in. :P 

@Edgedancer Jak I'll give you some more time, and stick you towards the end of the first round. 

Edited by Ashspren

17 minutes ago, John203 said:

I notice there are only 15 people listed in the OP. I would be happy to round out the 16, but I only participated in round 4 prelims, so if I didn't advance far enough to qualify, I understand.

I might call on you if @Edgedancer Jak doesn't participate. Is that okay with you?

16 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

So, wait, am I in?

Yup!

Happy New Year everyone, and welcome to the Tournament of Champions! 

All of the participants have already put for their amazing roasting skills, so we are bound to see some burns. Also, thanks to the amazing twists, these rounds are sure to be entertaining... as long as you're not participating. :ph34r:

There are some changes I want to go over for this tournament. For one, instead of the usual 48 hours, everyone will have 96 hours to put in their roasts. If everyone gets theirs in before then, I will start the voting early. 

With the addition of twists, the general format will not be the same. Instead of going from 16 people to 4 to 2, the tournament will narrow down from 16 to 12 to 4 to 2. Paired with the time increase, this will make for a much longer tournament, but I'm hoping everyone will enjoy what's in store. 

For these primary rounds, we will be roasting in 2 v 2 battles. You and one other person will be on a team, roasting two other people. Everyone will submit one unique rap, but you may work with your teammate on creating the best rap possible and use references to their characters (eg. – Breeze is on a team with Vasher, trying to roast Gavilar: "Look, my buddy Vasher here, he's a Breath master / But all you've ever done is create a disaster"). Then, everyone will vote on which team wins. Of the losing team, the two participants will give their character's "rapper name", or the Returned version of their character (eg. – Lift is "Your Pancakefulness"). Then, everyone will vote on their favorite Returned name, and that person will stay in the tournament. Additionally, every round of the primaries will have a creative theme, and a special twist. 

Each cycle of the primaries will last for a week. Here's how the timing will play out... 

96 hours: Participants write and post their raps
24 hours: people vote on the winner 
24 hours: losing team posts their Returned names
24 hours: people vote on Returned names 

Please let me know if you have any questions! Feel free to post on the thread, write a message on my feed, or PM me. 

Now, on to the first round! 

Team 1: 
@hoiditthroughthegrapevine, with Taravangian! 

@Zath, with Sja-anat! 

Team 2: 
@Sorana, with The Girl Who Looked Up! 

@Silva, with Yokska! 

Your theme: Oscar Acceptance Speech 

Your special twist: You must use three quotes from or about your character. 

You have 96 hours. Good luck! 

Edited by Ashspren

16 minutes ago, Ashspren said:

Your special twist: You must use three quotes from or about your character. 

Guess I'll need to find myself a copy of Oathbringer...and read some Oscar Acceptance speeches.

Well, @Sorana, this ought to be fun :D

11 minutes ago, Silva said:

Guess I'll need to find myself a copy of Oathbringer...and read some Oscar Acceptance speeches.

Well, @Sorana, this ought to be fun :D

Definitly! This will be a lot of fun. :D And you're a great Teammate to have! Lucky me!

And I guess I need to drive by my father's place tomorrow and interrupt him reading Oathbringer for a few days. :ph34r:

@Ashspren A short question: we'll write a rap themed around an oscar's acceptance speech? Or do we write a speech?

35 minutes ago, Felt said:

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said major twists :) This sounds like fun!!!
will they stay in the tournament as a returned or as the original character?

Original character, though they can include their Returned name if they want. :P  

@Sorana Themed around a speech. 

Edited by Ashspren

1 hour ago, Ashspren said:

@hoiditthroughthegrapevine@Zath

@Sorana@Silva

*has giant urge to tell contestants to write a speech about accepting Oscar Pine* *realizes that only one person out of the four would even get the joke, because Silva's probably not there yet* *hides in corner, waiting with trepidation for her turn*

To clarify, each person in the team is submitting a roast, right? Not one per team?

11 minutes ago, AonEne said:

*has giant urge to tell contestants to write a speech about accepting Oscar Pine* *realizes that only one person out of the four would even get the joke, because Silva's probably not there yet* *hides in corner, waiting with trepidation for her turn*

Good thing you’re not in this round... :P 

11 minutes ago, AonEne said:

To clarify, each person in the team is submitting a roast, right? Not one per team?

Exactly!