Nazh in Words of Radiance

Xcarthan12

It might just be coincidence, but the Ars Arcanum in the audiobook version is read by a woman (Kate Reading).  This leads me to speculate that it is "written" by a woman.  Possibly Khriss or whoever Nazh is working for.  Also, it would make sense for "the most Cosmere aware" person to write this.

I'm not sure I would take the audiobook's voice choice as canon, but I'm pretty convinced the Ars Arcanum is written by Khriss. It's a scholarly work and she is the most cosmere aware character. Obviously she is using research that Nazh gathers for her.

We know less about Shardpools than we pretend we do, and the presence or absence of a Shard doesn't change the fact that Shadesmar is still a viable, if slow and potentially dangerous way to worldhop.

Agreed, but they appear to be a sure fire access point to Shadesmar.

Without a Shard there doesn't seem to be other paths to access Shadesmar as it requires some type of magic to get there.

Nazh managed it somehow. Maybe someone from off-world explained how, but he managed it.

Kaladin managed to see into Shadesmar with a little effort, so maybe everyone can with the right training?

Agreed, but they appear to be a sure fire access point to Shadesmar.

Eeehhh... This has been a popular but far from confirmed theory for a very long time. Really, the only evidence for it we have is that mural in Elantris and Hoid emerging from something that might be a Shardpool. Where it is also possible that he went for a swim (e.g. looking for something, diving, instead of emerging from the pool). So I would stay away from this conclusion. 

Edited by Argent

Eeehhh... This has been a popular but far from confirmed theory for a very long time. Really, the only evidence for it we have is that mural in Elantris and Hoid emerging from something that might be a Shardpool. Where it is also possible that he went for a swim (e.g. looking for something, diving, instead of emerging from the pool). So I would stay away from this conclusion. 

You're entitled to stay away from it if you want. I feel the evidence is pretty strong that the shardpools act as gateways now that we've seen Rock's story. 

As for Nazh, I'm going to have to think until otherwise proved differently, that he was picked up by another worldhopper. Maybe Khriss' flying space menagerie of Investiture...

Nazh working for Khriss is confirmed.

So...summing up: Ars Arcanum is written by Khriss, of Taldain (White Sand), with research assistance from Nazh, of Threnody (Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell).

My questions would be:

1. Can Nazh world hop or does he travel between worlds by other means?

2. Is Nazh seen in Shadows for Silence?

3. When in the Cosmere timeline do Shadows for Silence and White Sand take place?

(I put these in the Ultimate Questions thread, too)

Edited by masaru

(WoR Chapter seven information under the spoiler)

How he even knew that the page existed is what baffles me. It couldn't have been around for very long before the ship went down, and I doubt Shallan's ever mentioned it to anyone outside of the ship. It certainly seems that he knew exactly what he was looking for, too...Even if some of the sailors survived and he interrogated them, they wouldn't know the contents of Shallan's sketchbook, especially the writing? So, how did he even find out that the page existed, what it contained, and know exactly where to find it? He must have some amazing abilities....

Maybe he disguised himself as one of the sailors. It seems the most probable explanation. Shallan is not always super aware of her surroundings, especially when drawing, and it would have been easy for someone to observe her and what she was working on. 

Edited by Fatebreaker

• Chaos locked this topic