[OB] Who would u like to see as the final 2 Bondsmith

The Hemalurgic beaver/Slothruler and a slothquisitor what do you thing @Toaster Retribution. Seriously though I can totally Rlain bonding one of the spren and wouldn't it be a twist if Ishar could be brought into the fold for a Spren. Join him to his order and make it "and then there were 2."

37 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

The Hemalurgic beaver/Slothruler and a slothquisitor what do you thing @Toaster Retribution. Seriously though I can totally Rlain bonding one of the spren and wouldn't it be a twist if Ishar could be brought into the fold for a Spren. Join him to his order and make it "and then there were 2."

You do know that Ishar is totally bat-rust crazy . He is the God-Priest king of Tukar . And uses words like There is no god but me. All should bow and worship me. He is the one who had Nale going around killing proto Radiants and promised there if did this there would be no desolation ! And you want me him to be a Bondsmith 

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

and in general I think he's waaay too much an "Ends Justifies the Means" sort of guy for him to even swear the First Ideal

The first ideal does not mean what you think it does. 

AndrewHB (paraphrased)

Is Niccolò Machiavelli's political theory--the ends justify the means--incompatible with the Knights Radiant's First Oath?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No. Although many of the Orders of Knights Radiant would find Machiavelli's theory, that the ends justify the means, incompatible with additional oaths and/or values of that Order, there are some Orders who could accept a Machiavellian. (Brandon said that the Skybreakers are where a Machiavellian could find a home.)

Footnote: A follow up question was asked in the signing line.
source

AndrewHB

I wondered if I could follow up to that Machiavelli question. Would Elsecallers be a-- one of those other, uh-- one of those...

Brandon Sanderson

So, yeah. Elsecallers are fairly compatible. Like, Elsecallers feel like the journey is... the journey is the entire species, right? And that the journey is the destination. *inaudible*

Footnote: Referenced question was asked in the General Q&A.
source

12 hours ago, Calderis said:

The first ideal does not mean what you think it does. 

Huh. OK, I stand corrected.  Not sure I agree with Brandon on that at a personal philosophic level (or hell, a semantic one), but I dont have to for these discussions.  But I dont get how you can swear Journey Before Destination while also espousing that the Journey doesnt matter at all, only the Destination.

12 hours ago, Watchcry said:

So Rock makes sense using food to bring others together. Plus he's more of a pacifist and will be okay not having a shardblade. Cultivation probably doesn't like killing either so Nightwatcher may fit. 

Id argue that "Cultivation" in particular is itself the part of Nature that does the most killing; more often than not the mechanism for Cultivation is Pruning, Natural Selection, etc.  

32 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Huh. OK, I stand corrected.  Not sure I agree with Brandon on that at a personal philosophic level (or hell, a semantic one), but I dont have to for these discussions.  But I dont get how you can swear Journey Before Destination while also espousing that the Journey doesnt matter at all, only the Destination.

Because like everything else, the first oath is open to interpretation. The words of it are so vague that you can make it mean whatever you want it to. 

Journey before destination - to falter at a step on the path is to never reach your goal. 

The reason that the first oath feels the way it does to so many people is because that's the way it was presented to us in the first book, by Teft, through the flawed view of the envisigers. It was seeded into people's minds to make the idea of antagonist Radiants seem impossible. Without that belief, Malata or The Skybreakers turn wouldn't be nearly as powerful moments. 

I need to update this thread to include OB information, but I used to link it fairly often because of arguments about this. 

In short, Radiant does not equal "good." 

Edit: @Toaster Retribution thanks for catching that typo, and immortalizing it. Fixed. 

Edited by Calderis

Oh, they definitely dont equate to "Good".  If nothing else that would be waaay too straight-forward for a Sanderson novel.  It's just that Id always taken "Journey Before Destination" at it's philosophic level being a statement of relative importance.  But your argument that it could be interpreted as a simple statement of the proper order of execution, that you need to make sure each step is a step toward your Destination if you are ever to achieve it, makes sense from the machavelian POV.  Not something Id naturally gravitate to, but I can see the interpretation. 

I believe there are two main candidates for Bondsmits, Rock and Rlain. Navani, i fear is too close to Dalanar to be a viable option. Mr T can be a good option has he has been heavily interfered by cultivation but unlikely as he currently suffers from Nightwatchers Curse/Boon.

Rock wishes to go back to Horneater Peaks to fix the issue there. Thats where cultivation's perpendicularity. So in order to fix it Rock may need to bond the Nightwatcher or Sibling. However i think he is more matched to bond the Sibling than Nightwatcher, as the Spren of Stone, and mountains being of stone & Rock's Name "Rock".

Rlain on the other hand is linked to singers, and the life on Roshar and Spren, He can hear the songs of nature. I feel he is a better match for Nightwatcher.

I don't see anyother character destined for greatness, who has not started on its path, Rock has started absorbing stormlight, but does not have a spren, so could go either way. Rock has not been shown manifesting windrunner powers either. Rlain is just being held back in the nerrative with a feeling that something big is going to happen to him. Navani, is just being Navani, and i don't see any evidence she is going to achieve any more, she is a support character, and i don't expect her to be a primary character.

21 minutes ago, Magpro said:

Navani, is just being Navani, and i don't see any evidence she is going to achieve any more, she is a support character, and i don't expect her to be a primary character.

I think Rock and Rlain are more interesting as Bondsmiths, but there is one thing pointing to Navani (apart from the Urithiru-fabrial connection). She was once planned as a flashback character, so she has to achieve something at one time or another.

3 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I think Rock and Rlain are more interesting as Bondsmiths, but there is one thing pointing to Navani (apart from the Urithiru-fabrial connection). She was once planned as a flashback character, so she has to achieve something at one time or another.

She could have been planned as a view point character to supprt Dalinar or Jasnah history. In the current nerative i don't see her achieving something. Adolin has potential but not as bondsmith. I think the most he is going to do is maybe re-awaken his blade, and may become radiant that way.

I feel re-awaken blades/deadeyes will be a major part of the Arc 2 of the series. Also there is whole cache of lost shard blades and shard plate i.e. there being thousands of radiants before but only a  hundred or so shardblades around now. I think this re-awakening will provide a weakened Nahel Bond with not all the powers of the radiants but a subset.

3 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Another reason why Navani could be interesting is because of her romantic relationship with Dalinar. I don’t think this would generally constitute for much, but Honor and Cultivation were in a romantic relationship... maybe Dalinar and Navani would be the Shardic Power Couple 2.0. :P

Ooh... i like the idea of Rlain, to represent the singers and listeners. i think that in the very end, the original inhabitants of the world and the human invaders need to learn to accept each other and co-exist peacefully, and not see the other side as an enemy to be exterminated. 

And i'm also thinking of Kadash, to represent the ardentia and organised religion in general. The different faiths need to terms with how they had all differently deviated from the spiritual truths and ideals as taught by the Heralds, and then come together to completely revamp how they teach and serve the people with their spiritual needs, in line with the new information and answers they would have gotten by the end of the whole series. 

Yeah, i'm looking really far down the road... 

I absolutely support Rlain for Bondsmith, as I'm sure some people have noticed.

As for the other Bondsmith, I don't really have a solid pick. I will say I'm less convinced about Navani being a Bondsmith then a lot of other people seem to be. I just feel like the Bondsmiths should be from disparate places in order to bring different people together, so I'm not enthused about two Alethi bondsmiths who are married to each other.

12 hours ago, cantabile21 said:

And i'm also thinking of Kadash, to represent the ardentia and organised religion in general.

Kadash is an interesting suggestion to be sure. And you have a point about that the Vorin church could use a Bondsmith. Restares could be another option. He is involved in the Vorin church, and a leader of the Sons of Honor. And he has to come into play sometime. But yeah, Kadash is a good option, and it would certainly be cool to see how he who once feared and opposed what Dalinar was becoming, became a Bondsmith himself.

Also, speaking of random candidates: Vivenna. She is on Roshar, she was very pious once, she has a guiding side, and it would surprise everyone.

On 7/16/2018 at 3:23 PM, Calderis said:

I don't disagree, I just think the outright belief that he is serving Odium would be a detriment. He no longer believes he is uniting.

I still hold out for it, because I think it fits well. I just am not as confident as I was. 

I feel like Mr. T might undergo some serious growth or have a change of heart or something in one of the future books, causing him to bond the Nightwatcher. No other known character has sought out the Nightwatcher who hasn't already bonded a spren. The Sibling was the spren of Urithiru (or at least the spren that watched over it), so I would guess Navani would bond The Sibling. I do like the idea of Rlain bonding The Sibling. It is also possible that not all of the Bondsmith spren will be bonded, but I find that to be too large of a missed writing opportunity for it to happen.

I really like the idea of rock being a bondsmith, and queen fen would be okay, but I really hope one of them is a singer. My preferred three would be Dalinar, rock, and a singer. I get that rock is unlikely because he is a squire windrunner (I think, might have misread it), but he could still become a bondsmith.

On 7/16/2018 at 4:19 PM, ZenBossanova said:

Taravangian said he was working for Odium, but I could really see Odium getting burned by this, and Mr T accomplishing his purposes. Thus far, everything Mr T has done has helped the good guys, even when he was trying not to. 

So Mr. T is Gollum?

Well the ONE Bondsmith we know screwed up BIG time, his brother, who we are told is a proto-Bondsmith basically started the unification wars but saw things couldn’t continue that way. This could easily be misleading given that we only have two samples to go on, but there seems to be a bit of a pattern here. Screwing up big time and admiting your mistakes. (That being said I am hoping in the future that the screw-ups don’t all have to be so big.) So as long as we’re all making crazy guesses here’s my two. Venli, and someone from the Shin. Probably even the Shin who said Szeth was truthless.

16 minutes ago, animalia said:

Well the ONE Bondsmith we know screwed up BIG time, his brother, who we are told is a proto-Bondsmith basically started the unification wars but saw things couldn’t continue that way. This could easily be misleading given that we only have two samples to go on, but there seems to be a bit of a pattern here. Screwing up big time and admiting your mistakes. (That being said I am hoping in the future that the screw-ups don’t all have to be so big.) So as long as we’re all making crazy guesses here’s my two. Venli, and someone from the Shin. Probably even the Shin who said Szeth was truthless.

Venli will not be a bondsmiths, she is becoming a Willshaper.