Supernatural Books?

I really hope this is in the right category.

So, I've been reading XxxHolic and, along with Monogatari and Kara no Kyoukai, I just LOVE its take on the supernatural. So I thought I'd look for books with a similar approach, something a little less anime-esque.

Thing is, I can't seem to find any. I don't know if I'm just looking with the wrong tags or something but every time I type "supernatural" vampire romance pops up, a lot on vampire romance, and everything derived from it.

So I was wondering if you guys knew something that resembled that. Things with that wide a variety of concepts and creatures, and how the supernatural seem to connect with human nature rather than be a separating line, etc.

I'm not even making sense describing it but I hope you get what I mean, any ideas?

Have you heard of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher? It's an urban fantasy series with the protagonist being a wizard in modern-day Chicago in a world where all myths are real. All of them, everything from vampires and werewolves to Chinese jianshi to Greek gods to Santa Claus. Might be kind of what you're looking for. I actually got into the series in the first place because someone asked Brandon at a signing what he was reading and he mentioned one of Butcher's books (from another series) and I decided that was an author I had to give a look.

Edited by Weltall

I have read one of his dresden files books they aren't bad though  I'm more partial to his codex of alera series. The secrets of the immortal nicholas flamel by michael scott takes beings of myth and history and blends them with magic and fantasy in the modern world. Highly recommended!

Dresden Files really don't start going until the third and fourth book, but they are excellent. The Felix Castor book by Mike Carey are pretty good. You might like the Iron Druid series. I thought the first three were pretty good, the fourth was ok, but after that the series went downhill  (although other people still like them).

Uh...the first things that come to mind are more animes lol.... You might like  Natsume Yuujinchou, Mushishi, and Ghost Hunt, if you're not familiar with them.

For novels, try looking up "supernatural detective agency" or something along those lines.  Dresden Files or Iron Druid series, as people have mentioned.  You might like The Libriomancer, I wasn't sold on it personally. 

Another possibility to consider could be the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch, which has some similarities to the Dresden Files.  It's modern-day urban fantasy with heaping helpings of irreverent humor, crossed with the police procedural (rather than PI) genre.  The US edition of the first book was re-titled Midnight Riot but they kept the text the same, so I had to look up some British slang—worth it.

Thank you, guys, you really helped me out here, most of what you mentioned appears to be just what I was looking for. I actually can't believe I hadn't found any of these before, there are far more than I expected. I think I'll check Dresden Files first but as these all seem to be rather long series I think I may finish when SA 4 comes out. Really, thanks.

@Eluvianii I'm a little late to the party, but Jackaby by William Ritter is the first book in the series of the same name that is really good. It's basically a fantasy version of Sherlock Holmes set in late-1800s America (I think). The titular character basically solves crimes that could be supernatural in nature. The main character is the "Watson," so to speak. She's a really interesting character and the dynamic between her and Jackaby is amazing. The supernatural aspects are slightly separated from the natural world, but it's still really good.

On 7/15/2018 at 11:44 AM, Eluvianii said:

So, I've been reading XxxHolic and, along with Monogatari and Kara no Kyoukai, I just LOVE its take on the supernatural. So I thought I'd look for books with a similar approach, something a little less anime-esque.

Since you mentioned 3 anime/manga/LN's then i recommend Strike the Blood. Sure it's cliched, sure it has vampire, and yes it has romance but it does explore the concept of supernatural. 

Maybe don't watch the anime it cut so much content from the LN's.

So I was wondering if you guys knew something that resembled that. Things with that wide a variety of concepts and creatures, and how the supernatural seem to connect with human nature rather than be a separating line, etc.

This sounds oddly like Percy Jackson but not entirely sure if this was what you're looking for.

@StrikerEZ That sounds like a must, I love everything relating/resembling Sherlock Holmes, I'll definitely check it out.

@goody153 I actually don't have anything against vampires or romance, storms, the three things I mentioned have at least one of those each, I just don't very much like the way most YA authors put it but this might be interesting. As for Percy Jackson, I'm planning on reading it in the future but I think it's not what I'm looking for right now.