Can Medallions and Ettmetal work Together?

MountainKing

Can I have a primer cube burning steel that is attach to a tin medallion that's storing the steelvision of the cube or have a tin medallion attached to a primer cube so that the primer cube uses ettmetal to project the sense that is stored in the medallion? (Trying to figure out how to create a metal detector using mechanical Metallic Arts.)

I think that F-Tin only works by storing your senses so you couldn't get 'steelsight' into the metalmind initially in that way, but if you happend to have senses beyond normal you could store them. Brandon has explicitly called out A-Bronze's ability to detect kinetic Investiture as something F-Tin can store, so there's no reason to think it wouldn't work for A-Iron/Steel; might even be a WoB on that I've overlooked. So someone with both A-Steel and F-Tin should be able to store that in a metalmind and there's probably a way to rig that using harmonium to make an allomantic metal detector out of the stored 'steelsight', I'm just not sure quite how you'd set it up.

Edited by Weltall

On 7/14/2018 at 6:33 PM, MountainKing said:

Can I have a primer cube burning steel that is attach to a tin medallion that's storing the steelvision of the cube or have a tin medallion attached to a primer cube so that the primer cube uses ettmetal to project the sense that is stored in the medallion? (Trying to figure out how to create a metal detector using mechanical Metallic Arts.)

To make a metal detector you just have to give someone steelsight. A single medallion or hemalurgic spike would suffice nicely and be far more effective than even a modern electromagnetic metal detector (unless you're looking specifically for aluminum...)

24 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

I know, but I want a mechanical metal detector

If that's the case you just need a primer cube with Iron or Steel that is as small as physically possible.  The issue with the steel/Iron Sight is that a Primer cube has no way to interpret that input and do anything to indicate what it is detecting.  But if you build a device that is set up to pull tiny amounts on nearby metal objects, small and balanced so that it is the thing that will move far more than the detected object, then it would work fine so long as it's not surrounded by too many different metal signals that counteract each other.  It's basically an allomantic Compass at that point, one that points to any metal rather than just the planetary pole.   

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

If that's the case you just need a primer cube with Iron or Steel that is as small as physically possible.  The issue with the steel/Iron Sight is that a Primer cube has no way to interpret that input and do anything to indicate what it is detecting.  But if you build a device that is set up to pull tiny amounts on nearby metal objects, small and balanced so that it is the thing that will move far more than the detected object, then it would work fine so long as it's not surrounded by too many different metal signals that counteract each other.  It's basically an allomantic Compass at that point, one that points to any metal rather than just the planetary pole.   

That's what I'm asking,can I use Tin Medallions to give primer cubes an extra level of intent.

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

That's what I'm asking,can I use Tin Medallions to give primer cubes an extra level of intent.

Then I guess my answer is that I dont think so, at least not outside what I would call a Rube Goldberg approach.  The whole point of using an Ettmetal device instead of just a multi-power Medallion is that it allows the metallic arts effects to occur entirely independent of a person, they do not "project" powers into individuals.  The tin cant really contribute functionally; you could make an Ettmetal sensor, but the device would not be able to interpret that sensory data any more than a camera can know what it is looking at (which even modern computer vision systems struggle with, trust me), so you'd have to rig it up to a bell or something.  Or you could make some Unsealed/Unkeyed medallions that grants Iron/Steel-sight and/or F-Tin to the individual, no Ettmetal required. 

EDIT: Unless by "Extra Level of Intent" you actually mean using Ettmetal to more or less Awaken the device, make it actually Aware?  There is precedent in the Metallic Arts in the form of the Kandra and Koloss that are granted Sentience, but it would be the first instance of Ettmetal being used in conjunction with Hemalurgy, so it's hard to say how that might work.  All I can say for sure is that Ettmetal Spikes should be impossible for the same explosive reason that says you cannot ingest enough to Burn for Allomancy. 

Edited by Quantus
Added an "Unless..."

• Chaos locked this topic