Harmony's Ruin

Invocation

"I am His Preservation and you are His Ruin."

TenSoon says something along those lines talking to Wax in Bands of Mourning. Who was Harmony's Ruin before Wax? There had to have been someone, for sheer balance. I personally think it's Kelsier.

Questioner
I noticed, in The Alloy of Law, Marsh refers to-- when he is talking to Marasi he says that Wax is doing his brother’s work. I was wondering, is that referring to Harmony or Kelsier?

Brandon Sanderson
That’s referring to Kelsier in that quote, in his opinion at the moment. I don’t know if I agree with it. He feels that Wax is protecting the people, the little people, which was Kelsier’s work in his... opinion of Kelsier, which is a little lofty.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/13/#e5028

This might be a clue, disguised. The other major possibility is that it was Paalm, but I didn't think to save the WOB that suggested that initially. My bad.

On 7/14/2018 at 9:46 AM, Invocation said:

Who was Harmony's Ruin before Wax? There had to have been someone, for sheer balance. I personally think it's Kelsier.

This doesn't need to be a single person. Everybody who helps him/his-plans in a destructive way is his Ruin. 

Like if Kelsier helped the southern scadrials to survive then he is his Preservation even if Kelsier doesn't acknowledge it (Harmony surely doesn't care about that since everybody is a piece of the board to his perspective even if he cares about them). Or if Kelsier took care of goons that is detrimental to Scadrial or Harmony's great plan then he is his Ruin.

I bet all those who aren't even aware that they're doing him a favor like the constables or even just a murderer/enemy who killed somebody who would cause Harmony some complications in the future are all his Ruin.

Whether they know or not they're all his Ruin if they are helping him through the path of destruction.

If you are looking for a champion figure or a concious agent of Ruin then maybe Marsh is the closest or most probable. I don't see Kelsier following orders from anybody and Sazed doesn't sound like somebody who would order Kelsier around. Marsh on the other has no qualms working for somebody's plan and is quite friendly with Sazed.

Edited by goody153

10 hours ago, goody153 said:

Marsh on the other has no qualms working for somebody's plan and is quite friendly with Sazed.

I assume he's also spiked enough that Harmony could take control of him if he wanted to.

Marsh would be all too aware of this, and probably would be willing to serve Harmony peacefully instead of forcing Harmony to take control.

10 hours ago, Journey Before Pancakes said:

I assume he's also spiked enough that Harmony could take control of him if he wanted to.

Marsh would be all too aware of this, and probably would be willing to serve Harmony peacefully instead of forcing Harmony to take control.

Harmony can but will he ? Didn't at some point he said(i forgot where we got this information) that he'd really only take control of people who explicitly stated to give themselves to him for service. It's kinda his policy because of the vessel of Ruin before him.

Besides despite Sazed changing as somebody much more pragmatic and manipulative(cause he needed to) that would still mean that Marsh and him still "work together" rather than Marsh "working for him". 

I think Harmony might have a really casual relationship with him. If his relationship with Spook(who just addresses him as Sazed rather than some Lordic honorific) or how casual the Kandra talks about him like he's just some kind of weird neighbor not their god lol

At least i assume that's how their relationship work. More like Fuzz and Kelsier. Not Odium and the Fused

Edited by goody153

I am personally of the belief that whether you are considered Harmony's "Ruin" or "Preservation" depends on the actions of the given individual in any given moment. So one day you might be Ruin, then the next Preservation, or even within the span of hours.

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

Marsh obviously still has freewill. 

There's a certain book Sazed didn't want him to hand out. 

Or MAYBE he wants us to think that Marsh and his hemalurgic servants has a freewill. *winks*

45 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

I am personally of the belief that whether you are considered Harmony's "Ruin" or "Preservation" depends on the actions of the given individual in any given moment. So one day you might be Ruin, then the next Preservation, or even within the span of hours.

Yeah. Depends on which intent you are showcasing from your actions. He probably wasn't even mad about Bleeder's rebellion(cause it serving his other half) more like disappointed from kinda causing trouble on his layed out plans.(which sounds like Sazed to me)

Edited by goody153

• Chaos locked this topic