Devaan's Training ground

Nohadon

The Shin woman looked like she was about to collapse. Her robe was in tatters, she had several cuts, bruises, spots of burned flesh, broken bones, and blood crusted everywhere along her body.  The spilled “marbles” were dun spheres. Most of her long black hair hand fallen out of her hairspike, and had cascaded on too her shoulders. Even though Ida looks like she took a hike though Damnation, she still sounded cold and lifeless. “I am being hunted by a group of worldhoppers, could you offer some shelter and food?” She said this as she collapsed to the ground. 

Silph tried not to panic too much as he saw the bloodied shin woman

"Ok, sure, we have a bunker that we were just going to, follow me" Silph says, then turns to Ethil

"Wanna go check out the vault while we are in the bunker?" He whispers, leading the group down under the table where there was a hidden ladder, descending into the ladder was a bunker made of pure steel, with a vault with a door that took up the entire back wall of the bunker.

Curiousity, and some other feeling, —perhaps it was boredom?— got the better of Deras and he wandered close to the structure. His keener ears heard noises coming from the inside, like shuffling and speaking, so he opened the door and went in wordlessly.

Inside, he didn't see the people, but he still heard them so he followed the noise to a room with an open hatch on the floor. He didn't want to startle them, was there some way for him to call there attention? A noise? He knew there was some way to make noises with a part of his body...

His mouth! He made a small noise, testing the waters, before crouching down the open hatch and yelling in monotone: "Aaaaa." The noise reverberated through the hidden path. His voice was deeper than average but not inhumanly so.

"As soon as we get Ida to safety, I think it would be great to go to the vault. I also think it would be good to explore that sound we just heard echoing through these halls." Ethil replied. 

Ethil had only been at Devaan's training ground for a couple months, at best, but still, he felt capable to defend himself against anyone who wielded a normal weapon, with no additional powers. Hopefully there wouldn't be any shardblades or type 4 awakened blades with these worldhoppers. 

After getting to the Bunker with Ida, Ethil headed out to explor the mysterious "Aaaaa" He had heard echo through the chambers. 

Deras stood back from the hatch and waited for any sort of response. His keen ears picked up some subtle sound which was slowly getting louder. Someone was approaching from inside the hidden path.

Edited by Cyanic

Ethil only knew one way in or out of the hidden tunnels, because it was the first time he had come. When he reached the hatch, he slowly peeked out, and saw a person. He looked like he was already dead... but... living. A little bit freaked out about the guy standing there, he slammed the hatch closed, dropped to the ground, and ran back towards the bunker.

"W..." Deras started, the shadow of a word forming in his head. W...

"Wait...!" He finally yelled, and moved to open the hatch. It was stuck, but he pried at it and the hatch came lose quickly. He dropped into the hatch and yelled out again: "Wait!" He started walking forward inside the corridor path.

After returning to the bunker, Ethil told the others about what he had seen. They told him it must have been a lifeless, and explained lifeless to him. Ethil was still new to exploring the Cosmere, and the Alleyverse. He didn't know that much yet. 

A few minutes passed, and the lifeless creature turned the corner, and began approaching "Wait..." the creature said "Wait...up" This creature fit Silph's description perfectly, except, it seemed sapient. 

Turning to Silph, Ethil whispered "I thought you said they were mindless. How does this guy know how to talk?"

"They are mindless. This is something else" silph said.

"What is it then?" Ethil asked harshly. 

All he received from the others was a couple of shrugs, so, knowing that they wouldn't escape easily, Ethil grabbed his dagger in one hand, and his dueling cane in the other. An interesting combination, and stepped back into the chamber to confront the man. "Who are you? Why are you here?" he demanded of the creature.

Silph remembered lifeless from his time on Nalthis, training with a grumpy swordmaster named Yesteel.

Silph floated up the hatch and stared at the 'lifeless' in front of him. How much investiture did it have inside it? Was it a type IV corpse? or was something else happening, something different, like Silph himself?

"Ethil, lets get back down the bunker, leave the hatch open in case it wants to join us. I won't complain if we get a free lifeless."

The Lifeless stared at the man with his weapons out. He still wasn't adept at speaking, but words seemed to be coming back, and he could understand the man well enough. He gestured to himself: "Deras." He answered the first question, but the second was more complicated, he could almost feel his mind turning as it searched for words, terms, and answers for it.

"I..." He remembered the first person and its pronouns. Though he remembered some words, he was still re-developing usage of language fairly fast. "I... wander here." He said as more words and meanings came into his head, almost a full grammatical syntax. "Was... curious."

Edited by Cyanic

Heeding Silph's advice, and hearing Deras's response, Ethil decided it best to return to the bunker. Himself being curious as well, as he turned to return, he made an almost invisible gesture to the man to follow. So small that Silph couldn't see it because Ethil's body was blocking the hand that made the gesture, but hopefully not too small that the strange man Deras would miss it.

Deras saw the small gesture and interpreted that as telling him to follow. And he did.

The Lifeless man was the last to enter the bunker and he saw a woman resting, she was battered and wounded, and it roused an emotion in him. Pity? Concern? "What... happen woman?" Or 'happened' as it were, since he just remembered the past tense. He felt that there were some words missing from the sentence, but the general idea should have been communicated properly enough. "What... is place?" He looked around. He remembered a word to put between 'is' and 'place.' "This." he muttered.

"We're in a safety bunker" Ethil knew that Devaan, the master of the Training grounds was at a war, and also knew that there were people after Ida, so he casually circled the grayish man, and placed himself in a convenient location to attack, should the man try to escape. "But I think you have more explaining to do first, entering a building completely unannounced, and silent. Where did you come from? Who sent you? What is your purpose?" 

Then Ethil realized that he may be speaking too fast for the man. So starting over, he breathed "Deras, is it? Where did you come from?"

The man repeated his question for some reason, though Deras caught the man's previous lines of questions:

Where did you come from? "Came from stone structure, wooden table. I strapped." He said before remembering a word: "Was. Was strapped on table."

Who sent you? "I..." he said. "Sent by... I... myself. Wandered here."

What is your purpose? That gave him pause. What was his purpose? That was exactly what he asked himself, and for some reason, this game him significant distress. "I... purpose..." He muttered, a bit strained. "Not know... my... purpose." He inhaled air. Though he didn't need to breathe, this seemed to help calm him and disperse his distress.

Edited by Cyanic

"Silph, Step in the hall with me one moment. Right oustide the door" Ethil said. They stepped outside, where they could still keep an eye on Deras, but where he couldn't hear them.

"What do ya think Silph? You said a lifeless with us could be good. He seems genuinely confused. It's possible he was created on accident, and escaped. It's also possible someone is controlling him remotely. I can go explore the vault, while you keep an eye on him. You are a more experienced fighter than I, so you should be able to keep him at bay, if you need to. Plus, the vault is within earshot if we don't close any doors. You can yell for me if you need any help, or if something goes wrong. Nothing should go wrong though, we should be fine, at least for now. I'm pretty sure Ida did tell us that she had a good lead on the people following her. Plus, we are pretty hidden here underground in this bunker." 

Suddenly Ethil realized he was tapping his cadmium. Apparently he started talking a lot when he got nervous, and instinctively tapped his breath so that he could speak without stopping. 

As the two stepped out the hallway, Deras stood waiting, and looked over the woman. Her chest heaved: Breathing, a sign of life. She was... unconscious? He studied her wounds, there seemed to be different kinds of wounds, some where the skin was cut open and was slightly bleeding, some were discolored patches of skin, and others were crusted over skin. He continued to stare at her injuries curiously, but did not move from his spot.

Edited by Cyanic

I need to write this bit, sorry if anything was out of character for Ethil

"Sounds good, lets open this vault" Silph told Ethil, stepping towards the vault, Ethil looked at Ida with concern

"I... Am fine... Just give me some time" Ida told the two

Silph nodded to her, stepping around and into the giant wall safe in the back, and took out his key

Ethil did the same, Mejin was still sleeping upstairs, so she would have to get hers later.

Ethil and Silph turned their keys at the same time. The door clicked, then opened, swinging inside.

In the centre of the steel vault, stood three large exhibition podiums, with three plaques:

The one on the middle read Ethil

The one on the right read Silph

The one on the left read Mejin

Ethil grinned, and stepped forward, lifting the case. Silph did the same.

"Where's Mejin?" The voice of Devaan said

Ethil and Silph jumped

"Relax, I'm a recording. A very convincing recording albeit, but a recording nontheless"

A blue hologram of Devaan stood

"Do you like it? I retooled Drako's hologram system to make mine."

Devaan stepped towards Ethil

"Ethil, you have come far, look inside the case and see"

Inside the case, Ethil saw a deck of black metal cards, a gem, encased in nicrocil, a set of dueling canes and an unsealed coppermind

"The deck is suited to you. It's 52 unsealed metalminds, they can be charged by anyone with the power set, I usually have to pay people to charge mine, but you can make friends willing to charge yours just as easily. Each card is divided into four suits, Boots, Books, Blades and Shields. Boots are movement, Blades are offensive, Shields are defensive, Books are for communication, persuasion and other means. The canes have aluminium coating, and blades that pop out on either end. I have stored a copy of my training with dueling canes and daggers in the coppermind, that will help you learn some of the master techniques."

The hologram looked at the small gem, encased in nicrocil

"This. This is special." Devaan told Ethil "When you are ready, tap the metalmind, then the gem will burrow it's way into your body. It's pretty painful, I'm not going to lie, but the payoff is worth it."

Devaan smiled

"It contains a voidspren, giving smokeform to you. It will act as a gemheart for a human, meaning if you are stabbed in the real heart, this one can keep you alive still, but what matters is what smokeform is."

Smokeform for stealth and slipping between men
A form of power, like human surges and spren
Dare we take this form again?

The letters were inscribed to the back of the case.

Devaan stepped towards Silph

"Look in your case"

Inside, Silph saw a giant coppermind, larger that any he had seen, he also saw three nicrocilminds, a deck of nicrocil cards, a small, birdlike creature. and a set of daggers

"Inside that coppermind is my memories, all of them. Tapping it will let you see my life, and let me live on. Do it at your own risk, it will give you great power, but will lose a part of my. It's double ringed, as it also contains my identity"

Devaan nodded to the nicrocilminds

"These are shardblades, I recommend you give one to Ethil and one to Mejin. But you do as you wish with them. The deck is similar to Ethil's with some differences, which you will find out in time. The daggers are similar to Ethil's canes, there is vast potential to be unlocked in both of you, like there is in your weapons now. The bird is a Laarkin from the reshi isles. Farewell" 

The hologram of Devaan faded.

Ethil stared at his case

Silph shakily picked up one of the nicrocil minds, and handed it to Ethil

He tapped his, then closed his eyes.

ten heartbeats

A long shardblade, it's blade a dark green fell into Silph's hand, a greatsword, but able to be wielded with one hand, due to how light it was

He looked to Seph, his luckspren, it flitted around him, fluffy was upstairs, guarding Mejin's room

Silph took the coppermind, and wore it around his waist. He would need it later

Edited by Nohadon

Pain. That is all Ida felt at the moment, but the screams of “KILL THEM!” still sounded in her head. “Stephen, could you go and get me some Spheres with Stormlight?” Ida whispered in a cold voice.  He left, and the voice in her head faded a little. She laid back her head. Killing people did take a lot of energy. And Stromlight. She had murdered most of them, but they knew what they were up against. Ida closed her eyes, letting the tiredness hit her like a title wave. She had a vivid Nightmare, but it was scary. Nothing had been for the last two years. 

Thanks Nohadon! (Devaan) It's all good.

Ethil continued to stare at his case. two brand new dueling canes. He always knew that he would have to return his current ones upon departing from Devaan's training grounds. But he didn't know how to get new ones with his current financial situation. Ethil picked up the canes, and began feeling their contours and design. These were very nice canes. Then coming across a button, just outside of normal reach, he adjusted his hand to push the button, and a 6 inch blade popped out of the end. "Rusting cool!" He whispered

Setting the canes down, he reached over to the cards. Flipping through them, he noted what some of the cards had on them. It would take more than just a few hours of practice using these to become efficient. The gemheart seemed interesting, if not eerie. He would keep it safe for future use though. The coppermind, contained memories of how to fight. As soon as he could focus on training, he would grab that and draw from it. 

"All this stuff is so cool" Ethil said reverently as he looked back toward Silph.

The Lifeless saw the injured woman talk to nothing that he could see, but he did feel something there, an invisible presence that he felt moving about as she finished speaking. He approached where the woman was, but not too close, or close at all, he knew people did not like being approached much by those they've yet to know. Just close enough to hear: "Awake?" He asked. No answer.

Asleep. He thought. The rate at which he was learning —or re-learning, as it were— the concepts and terms like wakefulness and sleep was remarkable, even the very fact that he thought and new that it was remarkable was itself remarkable. Though he was getting a bit bored seemingly. He had the urge to sit even though his legs weren't even tired, and more so, the urge to experiment with what he could do. If he was immensely strong and had keen senses, maybe there was something else he could do?

He breathed an unnecessary breath and closed his eyes, there was nothing... then,

He felt it, he could sense four presences in the immediate area, more than that he could feel them, one was the injured woman two were somewhere in a lower level, he suspected it was the duo he met earlier. And a last was inside the structure as well, but on the same level as them, their signature was similar to the woman currently sleeping, so they must also be sleeping or also injured. He did not know this final presence, so he went over where they were and saw another woman, or a girl, more appropriately. She was much younger than the woman below and was also asleep.

Deras returned to where he was previously, not wanting to wake people so he could sate his slight boredom, and stood, continuing to wait. Perhaps it was his concern for this injured woman? Perhaps he was still curious as to what the place, the whole place, was for, not just the bunker? Perhaps he could train his patience while waiting.

For reference, the presences Deras sensed are Ida, Ethil, Silphio, and Mejin. He used a Patji predator mindscan so I made sure to check the character sheets first if you guys had any Aviar mind shielding which would have impaired him from detecting the presences.

Edited by Cyanic

I don't think Deras could feel the shift in difference from asleep to awake unless he concentrates with the mind scan but that's ok

Deras heard the cough and another sound so he went to its source, it was the wounded woman. "Aid, need?" he asked quietly, and with little fore-thought this time. "What problem?" he was sure now that what he felt was concern.

O'tay.

You immediately feel something fly past your ear and hit the wall.  In an emotionless voice, Ida responded, "If you're a friend of Devaan's, then Stormlight would be appreciated. If you are an enemy, I have better aiming then what I just showed you." It was followed by ragged cough and another splat of blood. 

Edited by BringerofShadows