SzethIsBadAsHell

[OB] The name of the Stone is the answer

10 posts in this topic

I have seen many threads on this and I thought I should ad mine to theirs. However , my theory is indirect sources is really coming at it from. Different angle. 

Who is the 3rd Bondsmith spren?

i have just finished words of radiance for the third time. As Brandon changed the ending I wanted to see if there were any other changes . So I either missed all this before, or it wasn’t there. 

Szeth says Aboshi is the name of the spren of the mountains. He calls Nale by this title as he sees the Herald is akin to a god. 

The three Mega spren were on Roshar before the shards came. The Stormfather, The nightwatcher , and the sibling. 

Most of my basis revolves around Szeth, with a few lines of shallan and one of Eshonai.

Eshonai during her transformation. And said once you were a friend . This details the time before the shards cane 

Szeth has been Urithiru twice since being name truthless. He blatantly says the city of Urithiru is the only place where stone is not cursed .

This is where I believe the Stone spren set aside an area for humans to walk on . But why would Szeth come to Urithiru? Simple he cane to see if he was really truthless. He wanted to see for hisself if the Knights Radiant had returned. After he fought with Kaladin the first time he went there again. Nope no Radiants Kaladin must be lying .

When shallan activated the Oathgate. Szeth was fighting Kaladin . Szeth saw the beam of light and said i have seen this before! They went to city didn’t they! Where could Szeth have seen an Osthgate operate? The only blades that could open an Osthgate are the Radiant blades which no one had, and the honorblades. So someone in Shinovsr used an honorblade to go to Urithiru . 

My guess a stone shaman went there to converse with Aboshi only to find he is still slumbering . 

So what cause him ( the sibling ) to withdraw? Shallan says that shattered plains were not always shattered! This much damage to stone cause the Stone spren to slumber.

So in my opinion the Stone Spren is the Spren of the planet of Roshar. All the stone of the planet is Holy to the Shin. They will not walk on it as they believe it is a god in the same manner as the Stormfather is a god to humans . As there are many mountains of stone . It is another explanation of why Stormfather said leave them alone, you have hurt them enough. Mining stone , building castles of stone, and shattering the shattered plains.

In order to wake the sibling I think the shattered plains needs to be restored . Seems like an impossible job ? The Surges of Adhesion and Tension are made to heal stone .

The Stormfather told Dalinar “ what u did in Thaylan is a pittance of what u can really do . No Radiants powers are greater than your own!

We all looked for the 3rd Bondsmith spren . We assumed in error that it just hasn’t been introduced yet but that is not Sanderson Style. He foreshadow major plot lines all the time. Since the first chapter of WoK she has spoken about how holy stone was. None of us thought to ask how or why is stone holy. 

I don’t know who will bond Aboshi , but I really hope it’s Navani . With her the possibilities are endless . 

Thoughts?

I'm hoping for Rlain. If cultivation is killed or sacrifices herself, I could see Navani bonding the Nightwatcher.

28 minutes ago, Angsos said:

I'm hoping for Rlain. If cultivation is killed or sacrifices herself, I could see Navani bonding the Nightwatcher.

Honestly I know Rock is a squire for Kaladin. Since all the orders first ideal is the same, I could see him bonding Aboshi . Since Rock is of the mountains and really respects all the Spren

9 hours ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

Szeth says Aboshi is the name of the spren of the mountains. He calls Nale by this title as he sees the Herald is akin to a god. 

Aboshi seems more like an honorific to me. Shin culture seems to be full of them.

This is where I believe the Stone spren set aside an area for humans to walk on

This is an interesting point, I think you may be on to something. It could be Urithiru was not forbidden to the original humans as it was the domain of one of the great spren, so it was accepted both humans and Singers were welcome there. Or maybe it is as simple as knowledge from two different times mixing up to create a single cultural idea: Stone can't be walked on as it is meant for Singers + Urithiru is a refuge to go to during Desolations = stone can't be walked on, but Urithiru is acceptable from Shin perspective. 

It is another explanation of why Stormfather said leave them alone, you have hurt them enough. Mining stone , building castles of stone, and shattering the shattered plains.

Syl explains that spren are not like humans who have a soul that is lost when they are "broken". She was quite specific that splitting a stone changes the state but it is still stone and intact. I doubt stone spren would be bothered by castles or mining. The Shattered Plains may be dicier as its entirely possible what broke the SP caused spiritual damage. But if it were just physical damage I doubt the spren would care.

But why would Szeth come to Urithiru? Simple he cane to see if he was really truthless. He wanted to see for hisself if the Knights Radiant had returned. After he fought with Kaladin the first time he went there again. Nope no Radiants Kaladin must be lying .

I think Szeth just found Urithiru by chance when he was flying around, maybe he had a vague idea where it was. But in any case, he probably just went for the same reason someone might go to the Great Wall of China, its impressive and has historical significance. (Basically touristical reasons). At the end of the day Szeth is a solitary person, when needing to think his first pick would likely be somewhere that he can't be bothered. If there was a deeper meaning to Szeth going to Urithiru after fighting Kaladin, I think it may be that he was questioning his faith and the judgement of the Shin Shamans, so he went to the only place that the Shin accepted walking on Stone was not a sin to try to strengthen his faith. Much like someone questioning his faith might go to a church to pray hoping to find peace that puts the questions to their faith to rest. 

Szeth saw the beam of light and said i have seen this before! They went to city didn’t they! Where could Szeth have seen an Osthgate operate?

My view when I read that was that Szeth recognized the platform, not the beam of light itself. But I wouldn't discard the possibility that the Shin may ocassionally go to Urithiru with an Honorblade.

The Stormfather told Dalinar “ what u did in Thaylan is a pittance of what u can really do . No Radiants powers are greater than your own!

I've wondered since finishing OB if Dalinar might fix the SP again, but I don't see a big relevant reason to do it. Except maybe showiness to show his powers, or maybe to make the journey from the camps to the oathgate a bit easier as they can skip crossing all the bridges. (Although just think what an ecosystem from the chasms that would destroy!).

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

1 hour ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

I've wondered since finishing OB if Dalinar might fix the SP again, but I don't see a big relevant reason to do it. Except maybe showiness to show his powers, or maybe to make the journey from the camps to the oathgate a bit easier as they can skip crossing all the bridges. (Although just think what an ecosystem from the chasms that would destroy!).

This is pure spekulation, but I just had a thought while reading your post:

Dalinar maybe has a reason to repair the shattered plains. If the destruction of the shattered plains caused the Stone Spren Harm, maybe repairing them would help the spren somehow. Condition is that he doesn't only Repair them in the PR.(Of course there has to be a corresponding Stone Spren first, this is based on the theory of @SzethIsBadAsHell)

(It feels a bit like I'm missing something...)

Edited by Sorana
Typo

I always thought it was because it was soulcast. When rysin and her master were trading with the shin they only traded for metal that was soulcast n no rocks were destroyed. If Urithiru was soulcast then its also not unholy.

Edited by garlick

1 hour ago, garlick said:

I always thought it was because it was soulcast. When rysin and her master were trading with the shin they only traded for metal that was soulcast n no rocks were destroyed. If Urithiru was soulcast then its also not unholy.

Yeah, this is what I've always thought as well. There could be a deeper reason that Urithiru is considered holy, but I figure it's most likely just because it was soulcast/created. 

On 7/12/2018 at 2:52 AM, WhiteLeeopard said:

Edited Thursday at 02:55 AM by WhiteLeeopard

I really enjoyed your response to my thread . I’m 99% sure Stone Spren is the 3rd mega spren . I really hope Dalinar heals the SP in book 4 so we can see what Urithiru can do . With as much destruction as the two storms do I’m sure the Bondsmith are vital to rebuilding the cities . It’s almost a shame there can only be 3. 

As a side note, I really enjoy the idea of a guy named Rock bonding a stone spren. :D 

I may be misremebereing but wasn't the shattered plains created at Aharietiam and the sibling only withdrew close to the recreance?