A Question about Nicrobursts and Mistborn

Nesh

So if a Nicroburst were use their ability on a Mistborn burning duralumin and say... pewter, would the Mistborn get more of a burst than normal duralumin since the Nicrosil would be burn through all the duralumin?

Dont think so. 

Duralumin Speeds up the rate you burn the metal, pretty much giving you all your metal reserves at once. So Nicrosil would do the same paired with Duralumin, negating one of the effects, since its already speeding up to instant, i feel it wouldnt stack. 

Edited by Niteshado

1 minute ago, Niteshado said:

Dont think so. 

Duralumin Speeds up the rate you burn the metal, pretty much giving you all your metal reserves at once. So Nicrosil would do the same. The effect i think wouldnt stack, you still get the same amount of reserves burned all at once. 

I can see that, but if it did stack... that could get pretty broken.

1 minute ago, Nesh said:

that could get pretty broken.

Only broken part i would see is push or pulls. and you would have to add pewter obviously, but it would make humans be able to shoot things like cannons. just..bigger things. 

Imagine...a door..like the gate to the city, moving as fast as your eyes can barely follow. lol

1 minute ago, Niteshado said:

Only broken part i would see is push or pulls. and you would have to add pewter obviously, but it would make humans be able to shoot things like cannons. just..bigger things. 

Imagine...a door..like the gate to the city, moving as fast as your eyes can barely follow. lol

Well if you had say two full Mistborn with duralumin and nicrosil, That kind of stacking could be pretty nasty.

Well... Duralumin doesn't effect itself, but nicrosil should increase its burn rate so it would stack... 

You'd have to have so much pewter or whatever else in your stomach for that to actual matter though I think you'd run into problems. 

13 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Well... Duralumin doesn't effect itself, but nicrosil should increase its burn rate so it would stack... 

You'd have to have so much pewter or whatever else in your stomach for that to actual matter though I think you'd run into problems. 

That was my thought more or less.  It's all theoretical of course, but if it worked that way, you could pull off some crazy stuff.

Time bubbles of the same metal but different user stack, so I see absolutely no reason why nicrobursting and duralumining wouldn't stack considering that they are different metals that fundamentally burn and activate on time-based principles.  Further, I would posit that nicrobursting would stack if 2 nicrobursts grabbed the same person or if one nicroburst grabbed another who was grabbing someone else.  Burning duralumin increases the rate at which metals burn; by my best estimates for allomantic steel and pewter (we don't have enough data on the other metals) the power increase is approximately a factor of 10 and the burn rate increase is at least the same and probably significantly higher (like 1-2 orders of magnitude)

Bear in mind that Investiture overload, whereby the physical form (IE: human body) dissolves as a direct result of Investiture influx, is similarly a time-dependent phenomenon.  Stacking too many burn-rate and output multipliers should therefore simulate the situation that Vin experienced when she picked up Preservation (her body was dissolved), with the caveat that the Investiture would run out very quickly after dissolving the user's body, leaving them, at best, disembodied and most likely just dead.

I don't think this combination is in any way overpowered.  It possesses an effective limit whereby the users and anyone in the surrounding area could be killed, blasted into the Cognitive Realm through a temporary Perpendicularity, or subjected to any other of a number of magical consequences that are hilariously ironic if abused to the point where they would undermine the plot at any given moment.

Good magic systems, like good physics, possess natural self-correction mechanisms which prevent exploitation to the point of absurdity while still rewarding ingenuity and hard work.  There are mechanisms in allomancy and feruchemy that, in combination, can grant users access to immortality and interstellar travel; very little is off the table when it comes to what is possible in the Cosmere, but there are effective limits that prevent simple combinations from being "broken" in terms of power output.

My idea is that duralumin increases the speed of burning pewter. Burning duralumin isn't instantaneous so by add nicrosil is will increase the burn rate of pewter even faster, but because burn rates increased by duralumin is almost near instantaneous, increasing the burn rate by nicrobursting will have no major effect. It would let you do some amazing pushes and pulls on metal, but with just about every other metal, its effect is most useful over a period a time, not only for a very short moment (probably less than a second).

12 hours ago, Calderis said:

But Duralumin burns completely off as well (doesnt it?)

So if its sped up to almost instant, i feel like adding Nicrosil wouldnt have anything to speed up. Duralumin is already sped up when burned as well as any other metal being burned. 

Edited by Niteshado

2 minutes ago, Niteshado said:

But Duralumin burns completely off as well. 

So if its sped up to almost instant, i feel like adding Nicrosil wouldnt have anything to speed up. Duralumin is already sped up when burned as well as any other metal being burned. 

Duralumin iesn't burn out when used, it burns at a normal rate, it just affects the other metals.

1 minute ago, Nesh said:

Duralumin iesn't burn out when used, it burns at a normal rate, it just affects the other metals.

Ok, either way you cant get more out of a metal when its burned. You get all your reserves.

So adding nicrosil will only burn up your Duralumin reserves as well, seeing as you now speed that up. Since your metal burning is sped up, to instant, the only thing you might do is make it faster. 

Vin first burned it Duralumin with Tin, and for a second or 2 she was hit with it all. 

So if you add Nicrosil, burning Duralumin faster, it might make the metal burn, literally instantly. 

So think of tin becoming an internal Concussion Blast. You get all of the metal in .0001 of a second. I feel it might be deadly almost. 

42 minutes ago, Niteshado said:

Ok, either way you cant get more out of a metal when its burned. You get all your reserves.

Duralumin doesn't burn "all of the reserve" though. It massively accelerates the burn rate of any metal burned with it. The quantity of metal used in vials is low enough that it appears to be instant, but it's not. 

Which is why I said that they should stack. Technically. But for that to matter you'd need so much of the other metals in your body that you might run into problems.

It's not something practical that is ever going to matter, but if the burn rate of duralumin were increased in the same way, it's power would be accelerated, which would accelerate the other metals (in addition to the nicrosil hitting it) causing the burn rate to be even faster.

It's a stupid technicality that has no real application. At least not until the Metallic Arts advance enough that we're seeing these feedback loops in technology instead of people. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

It's a stupid technicality that has no real application. At least not until the Metallic Arts advance enough that we're seeing these feedback loops in technology instead of people. 

Imagine doing this with a steel push on an object smaller than your mass..Supersonic shot?

Or Mistborn with a stomach full of Duralumin, Steel, And Pewter. Throw a building at someone like a cannon. xD

• Chaos locked this topic