Marsh and Kelsier Era 2

Kramerfarve

It would be weird if they didn't know about each others existence. Pretty sure Sazed and Marsh has been communicating for the past 300 years (even before Sazed becoming the HoA and Marsh just becoming an Inquisitor.. they were the only one who hung around with each other), i don't think Sazed would hide the fact that Kelsier is still around or Spook would even hide it (with Spook experimenting with Hemalurgy it might be possible that Marsh could've been a good help to him)

Some relevant WoB 

Questioner

At the end of “Alloy of Law” Marsh tells Marasi he is giving the diary to Wax because “.. he does my brother's work”. At this time it was a reminder of Kelsier, but with Secret History and the third book out why does Marsh think we need someone to do his brother's work? Isn't Kelsier doing that himself?

Brandon Sanderson

Well. (laughs) Marsh is of multiple minds on what's happening with Kelsier at this time. When he's referencing his brother's work, he's specifically tells Marasi speaking to the lore of the Survivor. Like he's specifically talking to somebody, and he does believe this. He may not think that Kelsier is doing Kelsier's work anymore. But that depends on... You will see interaction between Marsh and Kelsier in the future.

source

Questioner

Does Marsh know about Kelsier's existence?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Ok. And are Marsh and him having like happy fun times together?

Brandon Sanderson

Kelsier and Marsh did not often have happy fun times. You can imagine if you want but, yeah.

source

CreeperVemon

Does Marsh know about Kelsier state and has he helped him in southern scadrial?

Brandon Sanderson

Marsh is aware. The rest is a RAFO.

source

Paladin Brewer (paraphrased)

Have Kelsier and Marsh communicated in any way post-Hero of Ages?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

I don't want to answer this right now, there will be other short stories that will go over this. source

Mailliw73

Does Kelsier ever talk to Marsh since Sazed's Ascension?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO… Good question. That's one I'll answer some day so it's not a RAFO for "nothing's happening".

source

• 2 weeks later...

Only tangentially related, but this new WoB got me really excited for Era 3:

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Are you going to do a Mistborn: Secret History part 2 to talk about what Kelsier's doing during...

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Likely, but not 100% promise. It's kinda my time frame. A lot of the stuff that's happening right now is foreshadowing for Era 3 where Kelsier will have a much bigger role. Era 3, the 1980's one. So we'll see when I'm writing those if I need a Secret History to catch us up.

source

Awww man. 1980s Era Mistborn feat. Kelsier and Marsh. Should be great.

They've lived hundreds of years past their time, so their speech should be prone to the occasional anachronistic lapse in idiom or usage, as if someone you worked for today sometimes dropped a Shakespearean "Zounds!" or "'Sblood!" and then tried to pass it off as an affectation. Like saying "Lord Ruler!" when genuinely surprised and alarmed, which nobody says anymore, not even Sliverists.

I can also picture Marsh going around with huge wrap-around sunglasses to cover his eyespikes as he prowls the gritty streets of New Yomend City at night, a Northern Scadrial enclave in the Southern Hemisphere that was an early boomtown now turned slumtown, trying to piece together what this underworld kingpin figure called "Longsleeves" (who he's increasingly sure is a resurfacing Kelsier) could be up to in spreading some new and highly addictive drug that triggers strange, temporary Allomancy-related effects never seen before. 

Along with introducing something else: "hammerpants." What is the deal with these enormous, billowing legs? Why, Kelsier... Why? How are these things linked?

Two men in the alleyway stared as he strode by. He ignored them.

"Hey, was that --"

"Yeah. Inspector Korihart. Word is that he's going after Longsleeves."

"It's almost midnight. How can he see?"

"He's an Allomancer."

"I've seen Allomancers before. He wears his sunglasses at night. I haven't seen that."

"Don't mess around with him."

Edited by robardin
More 1980s reference fun :)

• Chaos locked this topic