Newcomer to the series

StrikerEZ

1 minute ago, goody153 said:

@StrikerEZ Very nice ! You're finally about to start WoT(near the end of that book). Yes you haven't been reading the real WoT yet lol

Please tell us about your reaction at the end of that book :)

....okay. I thought things got intense after The Dragon Reborn.

I will when I finish. That'll be awhile though.

9 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Maybe I'm clueless, but I wasn't quite sure who the male knife person was supposed to be. Unless their identity is some sort of spoiler, could you just tell me who they are? 

Yeah, he's the trickier of the two.  I don't consider his background a spoiler, really, but you might enjoy figuring it out on your own.  (More clues come in later books.)  If not:

Spoiler

Aginor

2 minutes ago, daschaich said:

Yeah, he's the trickier of the two.  I don't consider his background a spoiler, really, but you might enjoy figuring it out on your own.  (More clues come in later books.)  If not:

Reveal hidden contents

Aginor

I never would've guessed him (I actually forgot who he was and had to go look him up lol).

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, goody153 said:

From there it completely escalates. You are the funnest parts of the books. 

Yeah, I can tell. I’m pretty excited for the next book(s).

8 hours ago, ScarletSabre said:

@Ookla-Shephir

Welcome back to the read! Haha, any reactions to it that you can share? ^_^ Favourite moments etc?

Good reactions:

• The battle of Domai’s Wells (I don’t think I spelled it right). Plus the entire buildup to that battle. It was all super intense, from the confrontation between Rand and Merana up to Rand getting captured by the Tower Aes Sedai and then Rand breaking out of the cage. I really loved that part of the book.
  • I thought it was really interesting that Egwene became Amyrlin. I kind of expected it, after she had that weird dream (or was it when she was becoming Accepted? I can’t remember) about being Amyrlin. I’m really interested to see how this affects her in the future.
  • I loved seeing Min and Rand interact. I’m a sucker for good romantic scenes, and those were so good. 
  • The Asha’man. They’re so cool. I just wish I knew them better; I can’t remember any of their names, besides Taim.
  • Taim. I know I shouldn’t, but I really, really, REALLY like him. He’s so cool.
  • The fact that Nynaeve figured out how to heal people who have been stilled. I’ve always found Logain an interesting character, so I’m excited that he’s been healed and is on his own again. 

Bad reactions:

• Robert Jordan, except in rare circumstances, does not understand female characters. He treats them as if their thought processes are almost completely alien to those of male characters, which is not the case. It definitely feels that way reading their viewpoints though, which makes it really hard for me to enjoy any of the female characters, besides Min and Aviendha (Aviendha is my favorite female character, and Min is pretty great when she’s not acting like an idiot while fawning over Rand). Elayne and Nynaeve are the worst. Like, I hated how Elayne treated Mat the entire time they interacted, from when he arrived in Salidar to the travel to Ebou Dar (I actually hated Elayne during this part, and I don’t think I’lll be able to forgive her actions for a long time; even her explanation of why she did it in her PoV chapter afterwards was so stupid and petty) to completely ignoring Mat while they were in Ebou Dar.
  • Why are all the Aes Sedai so petty? They supposedly pride themselves on being so much better than everyone else, but they just read like spoiled brats to me. Especially Elaida. 
  • The beginning was way too slow. You could cut half of the scenes with Nynaeve and Elayne at the beginning and it would work so much better.

There were many problems with this book, mostly character issues, but I really liked the ending, so we’ll see how future books go.

• 4 weeks later...

@Weltall @ScarletSabre @goody153 @Just a Lifetime

So, I finished book 8 the other day. Definitely my favorite book since books 4&5. 

I wish I could keep all the Asha’man straight in my head, but it’s so hard. And I’m still so confused about what happened at the end. Did Dashiva, Gedwyn, Torval, Rochaid, and Kisman really try and kill Rand? Why? I don’t understand why they would want to do that. And I just read the prologue of Winter’s Heart and I’m even more confused. Rand did not tell Taim that Flinn, Hopwil, and Narishma were deserters, so why the heck did Taim put them on the deserters list?

Edited by StrikerEZ

Welcome to the Black Tower Subplot xD

On 12/7/2018 at 9:29 AM, StrikerEZ said:

I thought it was really interesting that Egwene became Amyrlin. I kind of expected it, after she had that weird dream (or was it when she was becoming Accepted? I can’t remember) about being Amyrlin. I’m really interested to see how this affects her in the future.

<readies popcorn>

The fact that Nynaeve figured out how to heal people who have been stilled. I’ve always found Logain an interesting character, so I’m excited that he’s been healed and is on his own again. 

Remember that viewing that Min had of him back in... I think it was The Shadow Rising? Yeah, that one's just starting to pay off. xD

Why are all the Aes Sedai so petty? They supposedly pride themselves on being so much better than everyone else, but they just read like spoiled brats to me. Especially Elaida.

This will get called out eventually, as will some of Elayne and Nynaeve's acts in the recent books that you mentioned. It's generally institutionalized arrogance, since the Aes Sedai following the Breaking settled on strength in the One Power as a measure of who gets to call the shots in any given situation, they have a very bad habit of extending this 'I'm stronger therefore I'm right' attitude to their dealings with non-Aes Sedai as well. Needless to say this doesn't endear them to anyone who's not already overawed by them. They've had about three thousand years to get comfortable with their self-image of being the smartest/strongest people in the room, with almost nobody being willing to call them out on their attitude. And yeah, Elaida is a picture-perfect example of everything that's wrong with their current way of doing things.

The various concurrent Aes Sedai plotlines take a long while to get good (as with so many, they do get bogged down at times) but they'll get there eventually.

8 hours ago, Weltall said:

Remember that viewing that Min had of him back in... I think it was The Shadow Rising? Yeah, that one's just starting to pay off. xD

Yeah, I remember that viewing, but I think it was much later than The Shadow Rising because Min saw Logain in Salidar, I think.

And I’m glad to hear that all the Aes Sedai stuff will get sorted out eventually. Half the time I’ve read this series I’ve just been like “Yeah, that’ll be good eventually.” :P I am interested in those Aes Sedai that are using the Oath Rod to root out the Black Ajah in the White Tower, though.

Did you see my reaction post to book 8? Was that what you meant by the Black Tower subplot?

Edited by StrikerEZ

That's exactly what I was reacting to.

And yeah, I liked that White Tower subplot myself.

EDIT: And what you said earlier about keeping Ashaman names straight? I have that same problem with them. And the Aes Sedai. And the Wise Women. And the Kin. And the Younglings. And the... you know, pretty much everybody. :P Though there is one Ashaman that I suspect you'll have no trouble remembering once he shows up.

Edited by Weltall

13 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

I wish I could keep all the Asha’man straight in my head, but it’s so hard. And I’m still so confused about what happened at the end. Did Dashiva, Gedwyn, Torval, Rochaid, and Kisman really try and kill Rand? Why? I don’t understand why they would want to do that.

Yep and you'll find out in the next book! 

And I just read the prologue of Winter’s Heart and I’m even more confused. Rand did not tell Taim that Flinn, Hopwil, and Narishma were deserters, so why the heck did Taim put them on the deserters list?/

Because you'll find out in the next book lol

Seriously this should be answered in the next book

14 hours ago, Weltall said:

EDIT: And what you said earlier about keeping Ashaman names straight? I have that same problem with them. And the Aes Sedai. And the Wise Women. And the Kin. And the Younglings. And the... you know, pretty much everybody. :P Though there is one Ashaman that I suspect you'll have no trouble remembering once he shows up.

Yeah, you’re not wrong. The only characters I can remember anything about of the top of my head are the ta’veren, Egwene, Elayne, Nynaeve, Aviendha, Faile, Min, Gaul, Taim, Logain, Berelain, Morgase, Lini, Brigette, Lan, and Loial. Which looks like a lot, but in comparison to all the characters in the series is nothing. 

@Weltall @ScarletSabre @goody153 @Just a Lifetime (Just tell me if you want me to stop tagging you in these updates)

I just finished Winter’s Heart. Not as good as The Path of Daggers, which was my favorite since The Dragon Reborn and The Shadow Rising, but still pretty good. Not much to say, except that lots of stuff happened. Osan’gar died again, saidin was cleared, Rand bonded the three women, and those renegade Asha’man were killed. And that’s just what I can remember off the top of my head real quick. 

18 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

@Weltall @ScarletSabre @goody153 @Just a Lifetime (Just tell me if you want me to stop tagging you in these updates)

I just finished Winter’s Heart. Not as good as The Path of Daggers, which was my favorite since The Dragon Reborn and The Shadow Rising, but still pretty good. Not much to say, except that lots of stuff happened. Osan’gar died again, saidin was cleared, Rand bonded the three women, and those renegade Asha’man were killed. And that’s just what I can remember off the top of my head real quick. 

If I remember correctly, it was the opposite.  The three bonded him, right?  And Mat is back and kidnaps Tuon! 

4 hours ago, Lidolas said:

If I remember correctly, it was the opposite.  The three bonded him, right?  And Mat is back and kidnaps Tuon! 

Yeah, yeah, I know. I just said the first thing that popped in my head. It’s basically the same thing.

Also, that scene was simultaneously really cool and really weird.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:44 AM, Lidolas said:

Yes.  I remember having to re-read it a couple times because I kept getting distracted at that part and thinking "What did I just read?"  

I just read the prologue to Crossroads of Twilight the other day and wow that was one long prologue. It was like at least 12% of the entire book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haha, welcome to the endgame! I've got another friend that I've been trying to get into the Cosmere (and I'm pretty sure she'll love it) but she wants to finish WoT first and she's just getting through book 10 right now. I figure once you get past that point, the rest is easy. xD