Help! Books needed

I am traveling a lot currently, and as such, I am consuming books at an alarming rate, and now don't know what to read. Please suggest some books for me. Also consider I have already read: all Brandon, Licanius trilogy, Kingkiller Chronicles, Wheel of Time, GRRM, Tolkien,Farseer series, and more. Any help would be appreciated, bonus points for books with nice editions which will look good on my bookcase.

Lightbringer Series by brent weeks (4 books: The Black Prism, The Blinding Knife, The Broken Eye, Blood Mirror)

Night Angel Triliogy by Brent Weeks. (The Way of Shadows, Shadow's Edge, Beyond the Shadows)

Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind (Wizards First Rule is the first book, but its like 12 book series or something)

You could try Anthony Ryan with his Raven's Shadow Triology or the Draconis Memoria Triology. Both high fantasy and in my opinion a bit like the books you mentioned.
Lynn Flewlling's Nightrunner Series are a bit older, but a great read.
Or yo utake a look at Michael J Sullivan, for example his Riyria Chronicles.

I don't know if you like flintlock fantasy, but if you do, or want to give it a try, then you could try the Powder Mage Triology by Brian McClellan

Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. There are forty+ books that you can read. Start at Guards! Guards, Wyrd Sisters, Going Postal, Mort or Pyramids. He co-wrote Good Omens with Neil Giaman, and it's pretty funny. My personal favorite (which I highly suggest reading) is Monstrous Regiment, but it requires reading the Anhk-Morpork City Watch series and the Moist Von Lipwig series.

Edited by I am Witless

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas is a good even if slow.

If you want something brainless to waste some time on, read Cassandra Clare. It is garbage, but it’s soppy romantic garbage.

Also Echo by Pam Munoz-Ryan

I am right now reading Runelords by David Farland.  I’m enjoying it, but I’ll say that it isn’t as good as Sanderson.

My favorite book series (before I read Mistborn) was the Death Gate Cycle.  I love these books so much.  It’s fantasy where the world was split into 4 different worlds 1,000 years before.  Haplo, the main character, is sent by his people, who recently excaped their prison, to explore the four worlds.  The first book is Dragon Wing.

I’ll second @I am Witless suggestion of the Discworld.  I love those books and I just finished reading Mort and it was great.  Guards! Guards! is still my favorite though, so I sugest starting there, but if you like Death then read Mort.

@Sanderson-Savant Garth Nix's Abhorsen/Old Kingdom series is really good. The first book is Sabriel. It's a story about a girl whose father is basically a necromancer and she's training to become one too. It gets a lot more complex than that later in the series, but it's really good.

I'd also second @Sorana's recommendation of Powder Mage. It's got a similar feel to Era 2 Mistborn, but more flintlock fantasy than that. It also focuses more on warfare, which is really nice.

I don't know if you're keen on reading YA, but The Young Elites by Marie Lu is pretty good. It's the first of a trilogy about people who are cursed with powers after surviving a deadly disease 10 years ago and are hunted and killed because of their powers. Another good YA fantasy book is Mark of the Thief by Jennifer A. Nielsen. It's a story set in the time of the Roman Empire, but with magic. It's another trilogy as well. Both of these, while quick reads, are really good.

The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu is also really good. It's based on Asian forms of storytelling and legends, so it is a bit of a different style of book than I was use during to, but once you get used to the scale, both in size of the world and in time, it's a really good book. As far as I know, there's only a sequel, The Wall of Storms, out right now, but there are plans for a third book.

Jackaby by William Ritter is basically Sherlock Holmes but with monsters, ghosts, fairies, and other strange creatures. The main character is the female Watson to Jackaby, the Holmes character. There are only four books in this series. It's a bit YA, but it's still really good.

If you're okay with reading non-fantasy, Zeroes by Scott Westerfield, Margo Lanagan, and Deborah Biancotti is a pretty good choice. It's about these six kids with special powers, such as being able to say whatever is needed to get yourself out of trouble, or being able to see through other people's eyes. This one is also a trilogy.

Epic by Conor Kostick is another really good book. It's hard to describe this one without spoilers and because it's so weird, but it's basically a story on a world where violence has been banned and the virtual reality world everyone plays in is the only way to get more money, social status, etc. It's really good too.

I think that's enough for now.

I would second the death gate cycle. It's also one of my favourites.

I can also recommend the books by Brent Weeks, especially the Lightbringer series.

Have you read the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. If not you could give it a try. It's a six book epic fantasy series that starts with Furies of Calderon.

If you like YA literature you could try Ralph Isau, though I can't tell you any titles since I've read all of his books in german =)

1 hour ago, StrikerEZ said:

If you’re okay with reading non-fantasy, Zeroes by Scott Westerfield, Margo Lanagan, and Deborah Biancotti is a pretty good choice. It's about these six kids with special powers, such as being able to say whatever is needed to get yourself out of trouble, or being able to see through other people's eyes. This one is also a trilogy.

I second this recommendation.

2 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

I'd also second @Sorana's recommendation of Powder Mage. It's got a similar feel to Era 2 Mistborn, but more flintlock fantasy than that. It also focuses more on warfare, which is really nice.

Jackaby by William Ritter is basically Sherlock Holmes but with monsters, ghosts, fairies, and other strange creatures. The main character is the female Watson to Jackaby, the Holmes character. There are only four books in this series. It's a bit YA, but it's still really good.

I second/third both of these recommendations.

2 hours ago, Rhapsody said:

Have you read the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. If not you could give it a try. It's a six book epic fantasy series that starts with Furies of Calderon.

Seconded. I recommend The Dresden Files too, also by Jim Butcher, but instead of epic fantasy it's urban fantasy about Chicago's only professional wizard.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke is another good one. It's a standalone, but it's about 1000 pages and should keep you occupied for a little while. ;) It's a historical fantasy about two British magicians around the start of the 1800s.

Another historical fantasy I really enjoyed was Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. The first book is called His Majesty's Dragon and imagines an alternate version of the Napoleonic wars where the militaries of the world use dragons as their air force.

I just thought of another: David Hair's Moontide Quartet. It's about two countries separated by water but every 12 years the water gets low enough for a bridge to emerge connecting them. It's a really interesting setting with well written characters.

By your list you should definitely give Codex Alera a shot, its a complete six-book series by Jim Butcher.  It's great and each books is (imo) better than the last, until it end with a phenomenally epic finale).  His knew series (Cinder Spires) is off to a great start but only has the one book out so far, it's all crystal power and steampunk airships and talking cat mafia. 

You seem to favor the High fantasy side of things, so for those Id also strongly recommend the Fionavar Tapestry (great classic trilogy) and also as much of the Shannara series as you are willing to bite off.  The Sunnrunner series by Melanie Rawn is another classic.

If you want to instead look into the Urban Fantasy side of things, try the Dresden Files first and Iron Druid second (listed in order of both length and quality)

• Chaos locked this topic