32 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Fenric said:

I’m thrilled to read additional Sel books. And reading more Elantris books would be great. 

Have you read Emperor's Soul yet?

1 minute ago, Invocation said:

Have you read Emperor's Soul yet?

Yes! Emperors Soul just increased my desire for more Elantris books.  

I haven’t read The Hope of Elantris yet, but I need too. maybe this weekend.

1 minute ago, Fenric said:

Yes! Emperors Soul just increased my desire for more Elantris books.  

I haven’t read The Hope of Elantris yet, but I need too. maybe this weekend.

Emperor's Soul was so good.

Hope of Elantris is good too.

I am soooo glad I don't like audio books and didn't taint the memory that is Elantris with the audio version! Yeah I have to say Emperor's Soul, I had to sit down and think for a while. It. was. that. good. Also Hrathen, when I first read Elantris, at first my impressions were I hated him. Now....I LOVE HIM SO MUCH! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE! HRATHEN!!!!!!! Also, who would be up for a novel length story set in Duladel or ooh Fjorden! Also Elend grew on me. Vin helped him become way more likeable, relatable? Zane though....I dunno much that could've saved him.

On 12/30/2018 at 3:08 PM, AxeliustheGreat said:

Specific examples? Sarene does whatever King Iadon wants, she plays the meek idiot and doesn’t interfere, she doesn’t stand up and fight for what she believes, she just gets lead around.

Am I the only one confused by this? Sarene plays dumb with him at first so that she can manipulate him. Later she pretty much tramples him into the ground and eventually gets him killed over his midnight murder cult.

On 12/30/2018 at 3:08 PM, AxeliustheGreat said:

Raoden is a spoiled prince who liked annoying his father just because. Like Elend, and I don’t like Elend either. When he gets tossed into Elantris, he simply falls into every lucky situation the universe hands him. Galladon shows up, and Raoden gets a free ticket to his new friend’s useful wisdom.

I don't see how you can put Elend's teenage angsty petulance and Raoden's resistance in the same boat. Elend was being a child. Raoden was forming a resistance against his father's twisted and broken government that was slowly destroying their nation and the lives of the people in it.

Okay, allow me to explain myself. I dislike characters that make themselves seem all that, then immediately go into damsel-in-distress mode the second they're confronted with a real challenge, like Sarene does at the end of the book. I know that cuts off my options for favorite characters, and there are people like her in real life, but still. I can't write characters like her because they infuriate me to a great extent. 

I don't like Raoden because he's just argh unrealistic. He's a good leader and everything, but he has convenient deus ex machina powers: the time when people realized that they didn't know how to draw Aons, and he was like, "Thankfully for y'all, lord king of random is here you save the day!" That part just bothered me. 

In Sarene's defense, wasn't she captured and defenseless? No weapons? At least nothing to fight the Dothraki priests? She can't channel the Dor.