Mid-Range Game 30/Anonymous Game 2: - Scadrian Black Ops

Seonid

Just now, Fuchsia Ostrich said:

I think for now, I'm going to place a poke vote on Chartreuse Penguin. Mostly for being a colour I don't recognize and can barely pronounce.

Also to try to encourage them to post.

No need for that! I was gonna post literally as you posted. Oh well.

Hey, Chartreuse Penguin checking in. I'm here to force you all to memorize how to spell chartreuse so you don't have to go back every time and spell check it.

So, some speculation. My first thought when I saw the body swapping thing in the original post was that it was not only bodies, but roles that were switched as well. Admittedly I find this much less likely after reading the thread than a simple account switch, but it's still a possibility worth looking at.

6 minutes ago, Chartreuse Penguin said:

I'm here to force you all to memorize how to spell chartreuse so you don't have to go back every time and spell check it.

Oh noe.

6 minutes ago, Chartreuse Penguin said:

Admittedly I find this much less likely after reading the thread than a simple account switch, but it's still a possibility worth looking at.

Why's that?

1 hour ago, Magenta Albatross said:

About the Kandra...

Based on the information from the books, we can probably assume that the Kandra are neutral or village (and no, I'm not the Kandra trying to convince you that I'm good).

EDIT: Ninja'd

Have you read Era 2? Because the Kandra no longer have an inviolable law against killing people in that time period. Or was that not the reason you thought the Kandra would be unlikely to be evil?

Anyway, though the 'Kandra' role is really interesting to talk about (and it's the only one we've gotten a hint to their existence),a re there any other hints to factions/mechanics that we could speculate on? I'd note that the Captain mentioned in the write-up has been killed in a particularly savage way, and seems to have apparently lost all his blood. This suggest that at least one killing role is of a particularly savage temperament. The lack of blood also suggest that this monster either has very odd feeding habits, or the presence of a hemalurgist in need of blood to store his spikes in. It could potentially be both, with the killer being some kind of hemalurgic construct serving or working with a hemalurgist. Either way I look at it, it suggest the presence of hemalurgy in this game though.

Or maybe I'm reading a bit too much in a single line of text.

1 minute ago, Cream Tuatara said:

I'm here comrades. Rollover for this game is kinda late for me, so don't expect the first post from me in a given cycle until around now. I'll say some more once I finish waking up and doing other RL things.

Brushing your teeth is of negligible importance compared to this game.

I was an ugly duckling once, though I'm sure many of you know of my origin story. It's a tale known for years, with many valid interpretations. As the once-ugly duckling, I learnt the lesson to always persevere through situations no matter the size or shape of opposition and you will eventually get your reward. Some of you may be sitting there in your animal-like ways, wondering why exactly a Swan is writing this. But my interpretation can be applied to this game, in that I would like to remind everyone to keep looking for clues and to always be on guard, which is much easier without PMs hanging over us. Do we know the size of the opposition? No, but it's either 2 or 3. Do we know the shape of them? No, but it's probably an independent as well as elims. So you see, this ugly village will become a beautiful safe refuge for all other animals throughout the land. 

Though the part of the story where I became Coral is less known, and I intend to keep it that way. Mostly because I do not want this ship to also be Coral, because that is my shtick thank you very much.

Thank you one and all for listening to me,

Coral Swan

Finally, Amber Vulture checking in. Thanks @Fuchsia Ostrich for the poke vote. There is very little to add at this point, but my initial read of the role-swap mechanic was that it was swapping, not a termination of one player. And in regards to the elim team, I agree with Dingo. They probably have a hemalurgy-based power. It would fit with the general Scadrial enemy archetype. With that, there are probably some in village with Feruchemical or Allomantic powers. I'm leaning toward feruchemy at this point because we are on the Pride of Terris.

2 hours ago, Amethyst Scorpion said:

Why's that?

To be clear, I was talking about a swap including win conditions. I think that a win condition swap would make balancing harder, and it would maybe be something to try out if this goes well. I think just an account swap and perhaps ability swap is more likely.

Also, I feel bad for anyone who swaps. You'd have to constantly be going around and looking for passwords to multiple accounts.

1 minute ago, Amber Vulture said:

What are people's thoughts on a D1 lynch this game? Helpful or no?

Another moral of the infamous ugly duckling tale goes:

"Asking about a D1 Lynch is ultimately futile, as the bloodlust will always take over."

Or something like that, anyway.

D1 lynches are always helpful, and always NAI. Unless someone lets something slip, but that usually happens in PMs, so we don't have to worry about it.

I think D1 we should vote for our least favourite animal from the list, if we don't get any better ideas.

For now though, my vote stays put, since it's a poke vote. I've got plenty of time to change before rollover.

I HAVE AWOKEN FROM MY SLUMBER

Anyway, people seem to be giving good points on the Kandra being neutral or good, but I think I still agree with Melon Dingo's analysis. Something is harmful to the villagers here, and it seems to have a savage way of killing. Apart from the Hemalurgic Chimera things in BoM, which seem too mysterious right now to make a role on, and Koloss not being too bad now, I can only see this as a Kandra, or maybe a particularly depraved human, though the body-snatching hint makes me think it's the former.

Now, it seems that many people are assuming that there even is an elim faction. If you look, on page 1 Fuchsia Ostrich remarks how with two elim kills (one from the supposed Kandra and the other from the supposed elim team) and a lynch each cycle could be able to make the game go by very fast, in 4 cycles. Now, that is a very short number of cycles, especially for an MR game, and it leads me to believe that we might not have an elim team, or if we do, they don't get a faction kill. I can imagine win cons like 'protect the Kandra' or 'get X amount of mislynches' or things like that, that are bad for the village but not necessarily a kill.

Or, maybe you guys are right with the theory of the Kandra being a neutral entity that just wants to survive, and so they wouldn't be swapping crazily, thus opening up the possibility for an 'elim' or "village' or 'other faction completely' kill.

I'll RP later.

3 minutes ago, Azure Mouse said:

Now, it seems that many people are assuming that there even is an elim faction. If you look, on page 1 Fuchsia Ostrich remarks how with two elim kills (one from the supposed Kandra and the other from the supposed elim team) and a lynch each cycle could be able to make the game go by very fast, in 4 cycles.

That was more speculation than assumption. We literally know nothing apart from our own roles, so I'm keeping an open mind.

59 minutes ago, Amber Vulture said:

What are people's thoughts on a D1 lynch this game? Helpful or no?

We're most likely going to end up lynching a villager. But a lot of the time, deciding on a C2 lynch is just as difficult when the C1 lynch is avoided, despite what info we would gain from the kill(s), especially in QFs and MRs. So we should probably just get on with it and lynch somebody. I agree with Coral that C1 lynches aren't always NAI. I'm pretty sure there was this one game where an elim was going to get lynched on like D1 and there was some rather obvious defending going on. It's...another thing that few people actually noticed that and the elims got away with it. :ph34r:

What about your own thoughts on the matter, Vulture?:P