Mid-Range Game 30/Anonymous Game 2: - Scadrian Black Ops

Seonid

The scan was used already - on Cream Tuatara. That's how he joined their little group.

I've got to say, I do like the flavour touch.

But, @Cream Tuatara - I do have a few questions...

#1 - You gave up Mauve and Azure's roles, but not your own. Would you mind completing the set?

#2 - This one is more interesting. In C2, Emerald Falcon said that if he revealed his role he'd be killed, but didn't know who by. Why did you all vote for him, if you were here trying to protect people who were on the run, even if you hadn't managed to identify him as a Fleeing Informant? It's probably hindsight on my part, but did you not suspect?

9 minutes ago, Cream Tuatara said:

With Falcon we kinda facepalmed afterwards. I'm a regular refugee, except with a spike now. It doesn't give me anything except access to the doc.

So far all we've heard from regarding your claim is you. And each time you seem to have the right answer. But I think, in order for us to feel more comfortable, we should also hear from Azure mouse and Mauve Crocodile. Do you know when we will be hearing from them?

3 minutes ago, Indigo Weasel said:

So far all we've heard from regarding your claim is you. And each time you seem to have the right answer. But I think, in order for us to feel more comfortable, we should also hear from Azure mouse and Mauve Crocodile. Do you know when we will be hearing from them?

Both of them have tended to be on closer to the end of cycle, so it might be a few hours.

I'm reluctant to accept this whole thing. Dingo brings up a fair point that you all voted for Falcon's lynch. It shouldn't have been so hard to realise what Falcon was trying to imply about his role for y'all. Also that point about the village's wincon and the EIB Agent wincons being essentially the same. But I guess I can ignore that because the EIB agents *technically* is a village sub-faction, no?

And I'm still wondering why you revealed your faction *now*. I mean, at the time of your post, I had two votes on me and none of your faction members had *any* votes on them. Not counting Azure's vote on themself, of course. 

11 minutes ago, Amethyst Scorpion said:

I'm reluctant to accept this whole thing. Dingo brings up a fair point that you all voted for Falcon's lynch. It shouldn't have been so hard to realise what Falcon was trying to imply about his role for y'all. Also that point about the village's wincon and the EIB Agent wincons being essentially the same. But I guess I can ignore that because the EIB agents *technically* is a village sub-faction, no?

And I'm still wondering why you revealed your faction *now*. I mean, at the time of your post, I had two votes on me and none of your faction members had *any* votes on them. Not counting Azure's vote on themself, of course. 

It actually makes mild sense to me. As I mentioned earlier, if the claim is true, it narrows down the possible eliminators to four people for anyone who is themselves village. This cycle is the perfect time to claim, because it would take three cycles for the eliminators to kill each of the now-confirmed villagers, also making them choose between killing them and trying to find the last informant.

This move gave village the best chance at winning we've had so far.

EDIT: As for the Falcon thing, even the EIB Agents, wouldn't know all the game mechanics. There easily could have been another faction they didn't know about. And Falcon was being just sketchy enough about it that it was difficult to tell.

Edited by Amber Vulture

8 minutes ago, Amber Vulture said:

It actually makes mild sense to me. As I mentioned earlier, if the claim is true, it narrows down the possible eliminators to four people for anyone who is themselves village. This cycle is the perfect time to claim, because it would take three cycles for the eliminators to kill each of the now-confirmed villagers, also making them choose between killing them and trying to find the last informant.

This move gave village the best chance at winning we've had so far.

EDIT: As for the Falcon thing, even the EIB Agents, wouldn't know all the game mechanics. There easily could have been another faction they didn't know about. And Falcon was being just sketchy enough about it that it was difficult to tell.

But if the elims have a sudden death win condition, then they now know that Tuatara, mouse and crocodile are not fleeing agents, which means it's been narrowed down for them as well. If they have sudden death win conditions, then they only need to kill one other person, and can completely ignore the others. It's now narrowed down to just a few people for the elims as well.

If that's the case, then with a three person elim team, then they would have it narrowed down to me and one other player as the last fleeing informant, and I don't want to be killed tonight.

I don't like how Amber vulture keeps insisting that this is better for the village. I wish I could look more into it, because it seems oddly suspicious to me, but I don't have time, because of a project I have at work starting in a couple of minutes.

Something else that makes me question this claim.

From Mauve Crocodile during the discussion about lynching Emerald Falcon:

If I’m correct, and Fleeing Informants don’t know about their pursuers and are attempting to survive, then this fits with Falcon’s behaviour so far. A Kandra would probably keep their head low, and use its powers to escape detection. Falcon hasn’t done that.

He points out that Falcon is specifically behaving like the people they are supposed to be protecting, and yet they still vote for him.

That is too much of a colossal facepalm to sell the story. Sorry, but this is enough to make me believe that something else is going on.

So, for now, Amethyst Scorpion. I should put my vote on Mauve Crocodile, since he's the one that said this, but Since Azure Mouse already has a vote, they can have it for now. I could be willing to change this depending on what is said, but I see this comment as a major hole in Cream's explanation.

Edit: Upon reread, I realise that this vote seems unfair on Azure, since it was Cream Tuatara's claim, and Mauve's comment that clashed, so Azure Mouse. I'll wait and see what others think.

Edit 2: Upon consideration, I've decided that, since Azure's vote is on himself, and therefore very easy to shift, I should disregard it from my thoughts. So, I'm going to place a vote where I think it belongs, for now at least, until answers are forthcoming. Cream Tuatara. @Mauve Crocodile @Cream Tuatara @Azure Mouse - Any explanations?

Edited by Melon Dingo

17 minutes ago, Indigo Weasel said:

I don't like how Amber vulture keeps insisting that this is better for the village. I wish I could look more into it, because it seems oddly suspicious to me, but I don't have time, because of a project I have at work starting in a couple of minutes.

I just try to have a positive outlook on things.

However, Dingo brings up a good point. That is a bit... odd, to say the least. I'm going to hold off on changing my vote, though, until I can hear from Mauve and Azure on the whole thing. Maybe Mauve can explain a bit more about what happened there.

Just now, Indigo Weasel said:

Guys! I know I've been critical of the claim by cream tuatara, and we've been started voting as if they're lying. But what if they're not?

It puts a huge weight on our shoulders. But I think I am willing to trust them. Hopefully I don't make the wrong decision. 

Exactly, because if they're not lying and we lynch one of them, village loses. That's why I've been fairly positive about the claim because it gives us an edge. It's also why I'm not switching my vote off Scorpion until I can hear from Mouse or Croc.

3 minutes ago, Amber Vulture said:

It's also why I'm not switching my vote off Scorpion until I can hear from Mouse or Croc.

Keeping your vote on good ol Scorpion ain't going to do good for the village either :P Speaking of which, you're only voting for me because of what Ivory theorised, correct? Well Ivory had speculated me being elims with Azure and Tuatara. They had miscalculated. (Oh yeah I just remembered Tuatara being all 'Mauve should be speculated to be in a team with me because I've voted with them a couple of times'.) But yeah what I'm saying is we'd probably be better off with your vote someplace else. If you wanna wait for azure/mauve then so be it.

I should probably put a vote somewhere too. >> 

Cream Tuatara is correct. I am an Elendel Investigations Bureau Agent, and we did add Cream Tuatara. Azure decided to be the one to take the hit on C1 in case we ended up scanning an Elim and dying, but instead we got a Refugee. As far as I can tell, neither Tuatara nor Azure have been taken by a Kandra (the existence of which I'm starting to heavily doubt), as their behaviour in the doc is consistent from the start. We added Tuatara early on, and they haven't changed their behaviour.

45 minutes ago, Melon Dingo said:

Something else that makes me question this claim.

From Mauve Crocodile during the discussion about lynching Emerald Falcon:

If I’m correct, and Fleeing Informants don’t know about their pursuers and are attempting to survive, then this fits with Falcon’s behaviour so far. A Kandra would probably keep their head low, and use its powers to escape detection. Falcon hasn’t done that.

He points out that Falcon is specifically behaving like the people they are supposed to be protecting, and yet they still vote for him.

That is too much of a colossal facepalm to sell the story. Sorry, but this is enough to make me believe that something else is going on.

I expressed these doubts in our doc, but since it was either Falcon or Tuatara up for lynch, and I could only be sure about Tuatara, I saved the one that was cleared. I wasn't happy about any outcome of that lynch, but I was more alright with saving a definite Refugee than someone who was a possible Informant. Maybe that was a mistake, but I'm hoping that it wasn't.

Some RP, because that's the best proof that I'm not a Kandra.

Boom.

The sound through the metal chambers of the Pride of Terris. It was a deep, reverberating sound, and carried with it all of the ominous finality of a funeral bell.

Boom.

The ship was large enough, and the source far enough away from the common room, that most did not hear it. They remained in their little circle of light, staring around at their companions and wondering which of them were the murderers.

Boom.

Denesta Vreaux withdrew her metal arm from the wall. She flexed the mechanical fingers, listening to those familiar clicks. She knew those sounds well, almost as well as her own breathing. She knew that one finger was getting a bit stiff, she knew how long that would take to fix. This arm was more than just a prosthetic; it was part of her, and she knew it well.

For all that she knew, she still couldn’t do what she was meant to.

Denesta raised her metal fist and punched the wall. Boom. She gritted her teeth from the impact.

The Bureau should have sent someone competent. They should have sent someone who knew what they were doing. Instead they sent a dried-out, stupid woman whose previous assignment had been inspecting agri-plants on moons and asteroids that no one cared about.

She was trained, technically. She knew the protocols, she knew how to forge identification and send covert communications. She knew how to vanish into a crowd if she had to.

That didn’t stop her from feeling like the only reason she’d gotten this job was because she was a Tineye.

They should have sent someone else. Denesta gritted her teeth and punched the wall again. Agent Lion wouldn’t have gotten six innocent people killed, she was sure of it. He wouldn’t have ended up throwing the very people he was trying to save out of the airlock. Harmony’s bands, she was almost hoping that she would die next, to save her the shame of facing what she’d done.

Denesta felt the voice before she heard it. It was the presence of mockery and cruelty.

“It wouldn’t be fair if you got out of it that easily,” the voice said from just behind her.

Denesta turned, but nothing was there.

“Everyone knows that monsters have to face the consequences,” the voice said. “That’s justice. That’s Harmony’s will.”

She wasn’t a Pathian. If Harmony even still existed in a recognisable form, he was too large and too unfocused to care about the justice of small people.

“One person,” the voice said, “maybe not. But when six people are dead, broken, Ruined, maybe Harmony starts to care.”

How would the voice know? It was just a fancy, a splinter of her mind.

The voice chuckled, the laughter full of echoing doom. “Oh, child,” it whispered. “I am of him, as you know. Half of Harmony. I know his mind.”

“Go away, Ruin,” Denesta whispered.

“But how could I leave you?” the voice asked endearingly, swirling around her. “How could I leave my dearest child?”

“I’m not yours,” she said, her voice feeling like rusted nails sliding through her throat.

The voice laughed, and Denesta swore that the ship rattled and shook with that terrible mockery.

“Oh, child,” Ruin said tenderly. “You are mine. You are my agent, just as the Survivor was. Just as the Ascendant Warrior was. Just as all men and women are, at some point in their lives. But you…you are the most faithful.”

“I’m not yours,” Denesta said. She raised her metal fist to hit the wall again.

“Yes,” the voice hissed. “Strike it, destroy it, Ruin it. Break and tear and kill.”

Denesta’s arm trembled. She lowered it, and Ruin chuckled.

“Not mine, you say?” it asked. “Then what about the massacre on Lestin Prime? What about the rebellion on Vindefwal Station? Were these not things that you could have prevented?”

“Shut up,” Denesta whispered.

“The more you resist, the more it will hurt,” Ruin said gently. “I’m only trying to help you, my daughter. Give in. Admit who you are.”

Denesta bowed her head. She’d failed her mission, and the Bureau would never learn what the informants had found. Heron Industries was dirty to the core, but its secrets were either ash floating through the wreckage of the station, or in the cold and dead minds of those who had already been flung out of the airlock.

People that Denesta had sent out the airlock.

Maybe Ruin was right.

“Yes,” the voice hissed. “It will be easier for you if you admit who you are.”

Would it make her feel better? Would it make the screams leave her head?

“In time, yes,” Ruin said. “I can help you. I can make the pain go away. It will take time, but I promise you. It will happen.”

It was so tempting to be at peace with her failures.

“No,” she said.

“What?” Ruin snarled, and Denesta felt its gaze fall on her.

“I won’t do it,” she said.

“You are mine, child,” Ruin said.

“Maybe,” Denesta said, raising her head. “But I’m not going to do your work.”

Ruin’s laughter echoed through her head. “You do my work by breathing, by merely living. If you didn’t Ruin, you wouldn’t live. I love that irony of you humans.”

“There are still people alive on this ship,” Denesta said, addressing herself as much as the presence in the room that she could not feel. “I can see them safe.”

Ruin snorted. “And what will that do? Will their happiness drown out the screams?”

“No,” Denesta said. “But I’m not doing it for me. I don’t deserve that.”

Ruin’s response was silence.

“Nothing to say to that?” Denesta asked.

Her voice echoed off the metal walls. It was the only voice she could hear. It was the only voice she’d heard in this room.

Denesta reached into a pocket of her clothes and withdrew a small metal and plastic capsule. She pulled the cap off, exposing the surface of microneedles. She pulled up her sleeve and pressed the surface to the inside of her arm. She waited a second, and then burned the tin that she had just injected into her bloodstream.

Immediately, her senses expanded. She could taste the stale air and knew how little time they had left until they were all gasping for a breath. She could taste her last meal as if it were fresh in her mouth. She could feel the minute flexes and rattles in the chassis of the ship.

She could also feel that familiar ache where her metal arm connected to the rest of her body. It was a deep ache, and it set her teeth on edge. This was why she hated burning tin.

There was no time to lose. She knelt down on the floor and started tapping on the metal. It was a specific rhythm, the first one that she’d learned. A call for help, recognisable by another Tineye. Once she had finished, she stood up and waited.

A figure soon appeared in the doorway, wearing a distinctive blue coat. He nodded to Denesta in recognition.

“Agent Mouse,” she said in greeting. “Our mission has changed.”

14 minutes ago, Amber Vulture said:

Exactly, because if they're not lying and we lynch one of them, village loses. That's why I've been fairly positive about the claim because it gives us an edge. It's also why I'm not switching my vote off Scorpion until I can hear from Mouse or Croc.

But if they are lying and they are the elim team, and we don't lynch one of them today, they win. Even if their wincon isn't to outnumber the villagers, but to kill the informants, we've seen there seems to be some kind of vote manipulation going on, supporting their votes. So after this cycle, they effectively have 4 votes to our 3, so control the lynch completely. If we kill one of them, we can verify their story or prove it false, and if it turns out to be true, they still haven't lost their wincon, and the refugees are more likely to support the pair that remain. That should still be enough to keep the game in favour of the refugees.

This brings me back round to thinking about voting for Azure. He volunteered for the vote by voting on himself, possibly so we could use him to confirm all of this?

From Crocodile's post just above, so I'm not double posting:

I expressed these doubts in our doc, but since it was either Falcon or Tuatara up for lynch, and I could only be sure about Tuatara, I saved the one that was cleared. I wasn't happy about any outcome of that lynch, but I was more alright with saving a definite Refugee than someone who was a possible Informant. Maybe that was a mistake, but I'm hoping that it wasn't.

Tuatara wasn't up for lynch. It was between Falcon and Vulture, pretty much the entire cycle.

Edited by Melon Dingo

13 minutes ago, Melon Dingo said:

But if they are lying and they are the elim team, and we don't lynch one of them today, they win. Even if their wincon isn't to outnumber the villagers, but to kill the informants, we've seen there seems to be some kind of vote manipulation going on, supporting their votes. So after this cycle, they effectively have 4 votes to our 3, so control the lynch completely. If we kill one of them, we can verify their story or prove it false, and if it turns out to be true, they still haven't lost their wincon, and the refugees are more likely to support the pair that remain. That should still be enough to keep the game in favour of the refugees.

This brings me back round to thinking about voting for Azure. He volunteered for the vote by voting on himself, possibly so we could use him to confirm all of this?

But if we lynch one and they're telling the truth, we're done. Either way, it's a big risk. So we have to decide what risk we want to take.

12 minutes ago, Melon Dingo said:

Tuatara wasn't up for lynch. It was between Falcon and Vulture, pretty much the entire cycle.

Oh dammit, I was thinking of the C3 lynch. Green Falcon, green penguin, basically the same thing. Serves me right for getting up too early.

I voted on Falcon because I was unsure about what role that they had. I was expecting this game to have a weird neutral role, given the fact that the blackout format is the perfect scenario to do that sort of thing. I was also expecting the Informants to have some information about the Investigations Agents, so that they knew that at least someone was trying to protect them, and so when Falcon acted weirdly and said that either the Village or the Elims would want them dead I assumed that they had to be neutral at best. Again, I was wrong.

20 minutes ago, Amber Vulture said:

But if we lynch one and they're telling the truth, we're done. Either way, it's a big risk. So we have to decide what risk we want to take.

It depends on numbers.

However the vote goes, next cycle we are down to six (assuming they get a kill in here and wherever they could, because why wouldn't they?). If we kill one of them, and they are elim, then the elim team is down to two, and we know who they are. That puts us at 4:2 in our favour, shenanigans withstanding.

If we vote for someone else, and they are the elim team, there is nothing we can do.

If they are telling the truth, and we kill one of them, and the elim team is 3 players, then there is nothing we can do.

If they are telling the truth and the elim team is less than 3 players, we still have advantage of numbers, even without one of them.

Edit:

Replying to Crocodile, above.

I voted on Falcon because I was unsure about what role that they had. I was expecting this game to have a weird neutral role, given the fact that the blackout format is the perfect scenario to do that sort of thing. I was also expecting the Informants to have some information about the Investigations Agents, so that they knew that at least someone was trying to protect them, and so when Falcon acted weirdly and said that either the Village or the Elims would want them dead I assumed that they had to be neutral at best. Again, I was wrong.

But you yourself pointed out that Falcon was acting exactly like you'd expect someone you were supposed to be protecting might act. Even if you weren't entirely sure, was it not enough for you to swing the lynch to save him? You had the votes to do so.

Edit 2: I'm off to bed but will be checking in before rollover to see what else comes to light. Until then though, there are too many questions about this EIB story for me to be happy not voting for one of them. I'm not going to count on Azure's vote on himself, since that can be easily shifted, but he did volunteer to be lynched, and it has to be either Azure Mouse or Mauve Crocodile to confirm their story (unless we can find the tin spike, I suppose, but no guarantee there, this gives us definite role information), so Cream Tuatara, Azure Mouse.

Edited by Melon Dingo