What is this glyph? Endsheets, maps, symbols, and possible loony ideas

scm288

I'm coming off a high of the Taravangian-esque diagramming happening in the "Hidden Things in the Map of Roshar" thread. So on that note, let's look at some cool things.

I looked at one of the endsheets for Way of Kings, and I found this funny little glyph (rotated):

post-2543-0-49512600-1395385074.jpg

I realize that there's speculation that this endsheet relates to Cultivation and has little to do with Honor and Surgebindings, but the two diagrams align so beautifully--lines and everything--that I figure that it has to be more than that. Also, the same lady hinted at being Cultivation is also found in the Shadesmar map, and as Shadesmar definitely has to do with more than Cultivation, I don't think I'm necessarily off the mark.

If you overlay the colorful diagram with the Knights Radiant diagram--especially as highlighted and labeled by an earlier user--you'll notice that this corresponding Surge is that of Cohesion, which is shared by the Stonewards and Willshapers.

You'll also notice, on the glyph that I highlighted, that it has a passing resemblance to Roshar's geographic makeup.

I don't know exactly what the Stonewards and Willshapers did, but they were together capable of Cohesion, Tension, and Transportation. Dalinar's visions have ordered him to "unite them," and we ended Words of Radiance with the idea that he needed to unite the Knights Radiant--their different orders. I believe that the different orders, working together, were capable of doing much more than flying through the sky, healing mortal wounds, or just generally being "awesome." I believe that they might have had a role in the creation of Roshar itself--or that the powers they eventually wielded may have been utilized in its creation.

Of course, someone might come along and say "that glyph doesn't mean anything like that."

Still a cool thought.

We call it the "voidbinding" chart more because we don't have anything else to call it. We don't know what system it's actually for, only that it, as mentioned, corresponds very closely to the surgebinding chart, and all of the surges are cut and have half of them flipped on this chart in relation to the surgebinding chart. (Well, not perfectly, but pretty close to.)

Edit: I suppose I could also mention that I talked about it briefly with Isaac at the midnight release, and he mentioned that even he didn't know what it was supposed to be called.

Edited by Shadow Guardian

I don't think it's likely that the Radiants had such a big impact on the geography of the continent, it's too wonky of a theory for my stomach. Plus Roshar existed (and was Desolated) for a long time before the Radiants showed up.

• Chaos locked this topic