Characters you didn't care for at first but now love?

Xero stormz

What are some characters in the cosmere that at first you really didn't care for but throughout time or rereading gained an appreciation or love for? 

Mine in order are

Hrathen 

Spook

And elena venture. 

Its amazing how through a characters development, only minor things may change but nowhere near to the extent of changing who the are but such small things can drastically change prospective on their entire role kn the universe. Hrathen is the best example uncompromising faith 

Surprisingly alot in Cosmere. Sanderson has a knack of making you care about character who seem "meh" at first glance.

• Vivenna 
  • Siri
  • Steris 
  • Spook
  • Lightsong
  • Taln(biggest example where he from "ok so he's a herald" into "WHAT A stormING GOD" in like 2 lines or something from oathbringer lol) 

Honestly, it was Shallan for me. First time through WoK, I speedread her chapters so I could get back to the Kaladin chapters. By the time of WoR and OB, I was looking forward to her chapters.

• Steris. Found her really boring in AoL (who didn't) and I loved her by the start of BoM.
  • Marsh. I never really liked him, even while reading the books, but after Ive thought about him as a character he's become one of my favorites. I reread the prologue to HoA and dang, it's soooo good.
  • Renarin and Jasnah. Until OB, they were just kinda there. I won't go into specifics, but I am much more intrigued by the both of them now.

Definitely Taln, reasons OB have been stated above.

Also Jasnah. In WoK and WoR I really didn't care much for her, but obliterating Odium's forces with flicks of her hand while discussing the progress of the battle for the world has really made her grow on me in terms of badassness.

I'm surprised Shallan only got one mention. She has gotten after a slow start infinitely more interesting as the story has progressed. I agree that Steris was a bit of a throwaway character up until the end of SOS. She absolutely rocked BOM though.

5 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

I'm surprised Shallan only got one mention. She has gotten after a slow start infinitely more interesting as the story has progressed.

Shallan went the opposite route for me. I went from thinking she was ok to hating her.

Just now, Apollyon said:

Really? What’d she do wrong?

She is just such a cry baby about everything. Her entire magic personality crisis is just annoying. The majority of her problems she created for herself. Oh and the fact she was all over Kaladin when she was with Adolin. I like Kaladin, but she is seriously a [redacted] person for putting the both of them through that stuff. It kind of reminded me of the awful Vin/Zane thing.

I think I'm in the minority when I say Kaladin. I didn't care for him in Way of Kings until he decided to help the bridgemen. The only reason I kept reading the book because I wanted to see how Shallan arc would go.

Also Elhokar

Oathbringer spoiler

Spoiler

I never realized how much I cared about him until he died

8 hours ago, Wander89 said:

I'm gonna go with Elend and Adolin for the same reasons. Used to think they were stuck up highlords and princes but then they turned into loyal, faithful heroes.

Elend was pretty whatever but Adolin was kinda likable from the start? Adolin never felt like a noble douche 

6 hours ago, goody153 said:

Elend was pretty whatever but Adolin was kinda likable from the start? Adolin never felt like a noble douche 

I guess I just didn't connect as well with Adolin from the start of the book as I do now. 

Steris is the first to come to mind for me 

From stormlight it’s Shallan. My first read through of way of kings i found her annoying and naive. But after her backstory and learning how much she grew in book two i began to respect her and relized i was looking at her like Kaladin did lighteyes in book one. Lol

15 hours ago, Gray to said:

Hide contents

*sniff* *sniff*

It's okay...

oh well, better contribute to this thread as that's always what we do here on the Shard.

People have already said it, but Vivenna. She was very annoyingly self righteous, but then Brandon, in usual fashion, upended my expectations and gave her a rather interesting arc. Vivenna had a lot of very good character development.

For me it was Elend. At the beginning I found him an annoying brat, but when you got to know hin better that changed.

And Vivenna, as mentioned before. I really liked reading her povs at the end of Warbreaker.

A few people have said Elend and amusingly I went the opposite way with him. I loved him initially and then by the end of HoA didn't care all that much anymore. 

Biggest person for me was Dalinar. Even now, knowing that I eventually get hooked into his story, I have trouble reading through his sections in WoK. But when I get to the more recent stuff... gimme, gimme, gimme. 

For some reason I really like Zane, but most people seem to hate him. The tortured mistborn brother, who envies everything his brother has and wants to take it. Loved how he got played by Ruin for decades. It is our first glimpse at how powerfull and manipulative he is.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:38 AM, Gray to said:

I think I'm in the minority when I say Kaladin. I didn't care for him in Way of Kings until he decided to help the bridgemen. The only reason I kept reading the book because I wanted to see how Shallan arc would go.

Also Elhokar

Oathbringer spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Elhokar was so annoying and a fool at the start but overtime he slowly grew into somebody who actually seems to try so hard but just isn't good enough in the time of crisis. 

8 hours ago, Krios said:

For some reason I really like Zane, but most people seem to hate him. The tortured mistborn brother, who envies everything his brother has and wants to take it. Loved how he got played by Ruin for decades. It is our first glimpse at how powerfull and manipulative he is.

Actually our true first glimpse about how manipulative Ruin was the fall of TLR and the final empire. Even Sazed on his epigraphs state has 

Zane was the catalyst for the annoying love triangle(i know it's about Vin "choice" more than romance but still annoying not an aspect i would want from the Mistborn when i was first reading) and Kelsier was just waaaay more interesting than him in terms of tortured characters who rose to change things.

For me it was Sarene. I just found her chapters boring in the beginning, but by the end of the book I really cared for her.

Also as has been stated here before Shallan and Dalinar: in WoK I couldn't get through their chapters. But they grew on me in WoR and OB.

Vivenna is mentioned here a lot and to be honest she does get better after her fall (before that she is just so selfrighteous), but I never could grow to love her. I just don't like her.

@LadyLameness I agree with you on Elend. I simply loved him in TFE and liked how his character developed in WoA, but in HoA I didn't like how he was portraied through most of the book.