Character Development Scenes [CDS]

Jehoiada

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one. Might be important later. Might not. Depends on how much time I can invest in it.

Spoiler

It had been a while, but the place looked exactly as she remembered it. Run down. Shelters made of tarps held up by sticks. People who wouldn’t look you in the eye.

A sad sight.

She sighed.

An elderly man sat on a tree stump, eating what appeared to be a rotten fruit. She walked over to him.

He eyed her. Clean black jacket, pants, ghostly pale skin, and shining dark hair somewhat tidily pulled back into a bun. It was easy to tell she didn’t belong. There, everyone sported a tan from days spent in the sun and only donned worn clothing.

“You see what your type have done?” he asked her. “What you caused?”

Her type? They weren’t her type. She wasn’t the reason for this. She hadn’t even been born when it happened. But she didn’t say any of that. She needed to show she cared more for them than herself.

She nodded.

“This isn’t the first time one of you has come down here. You always come, observe, leave, and write up some documents. Nothing changes,” he said. “What excuse will you give this time?”

“None,” she said.

“None?”

“None.”

“Then why are you here?”

“I’m here of my own accord. I’m here because I want to help.”

He looked her over again, this time more critically. A five foot pipsqueak who looked like she had never lifted anything heavier than a book dressed in all black. The man even scoffed.

“What makes you think you can do what others haven’t?”

“I’ve lost everything three times,” she said. “And I’m not afraid to admit that.

The man stood up. “Alright, miss, where did you want to start?”

Not far away a young boy relieved himself in a bucket.

“Plumbing,” she said.

---

“Name and what do you know how to do?” she asked the next person in line.

“Jonas Erd. I’m a carpenter,” he said.

She nodded and pointed. “Can you head over there?”

Jonas went and someone new stepped up to her.

“Name and what do you know how to do?” she asked.

“May Tyfri,” the woman blushed. “I’m not trained in anything.

“It’s okay,” she said. “We’ll find something for you to do. For now, if you could stand where Romona and Frine are?”

“Of course,” May said.

She continued sorting people into groups until only the children remained. They would have their own special purpose. For now she needed to organize the adults.

---

It had been harder than she had anticipated to get things moving. She constantly was running between the different groups and progress was hard to see, but the rewarding feeling was worth it. As a kid she hadn’t seen all the different levels to society in Alleycity. Here she was now in only one small neighborhood and the complexity of the social structure astounded her. They gave the elders the most respect, middle aged people did most of the work, and teenagers and below were mostly ignored.

Some of them were hesitant to trust her, but the fact that Zeken had given her his approval got her their respect. They would do as she asked for now.

The biggest problem was supplies. Clean, fresh lumber couldn’t be found lying around and what little they had wasn’t going to be enough. She might, at some point, have to contact the Forge. For the moment her goal was to create a large community center. The group wasn’t too big and it would work as a temporary residence for them. Her goal wasn’t permanence. There was no way she could manage to help everyone completely. She just wanted to get them unified to the point where they could continue on their own.

Independence.

It was a delicate balance. Without her they wouldn’t do anything. With too much of her they wouldn’t be able to function when she left.

A few more days here and then she’d go, leaving behind a stack of green papers.

Eve Tacet-Yin-Dove took a deep breath and went to check on the state of the piping installation.

• 1 year later...

I'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Hello Alleyverse, my mental health is more under control, and I am now making my return, just in time for era 5 to! I meant to post this two days ago, but there was some editing errors, so I lost it, but here it is now.

Dusk stood over his city, his masterpiece. The Citadel, a den of peace and progress, where even the slums where treated like middle class. The mines still ran, but Dusk had made and invested enough money that his cities economy ran on it's own with only minor interference from him. Here, he and everyone else in the city, could focus on following their passions, may that be science, art, or baking. Alastair's crepes were amazing. He had finally built something just for the sake of building it, not to serve some purpose, not because of Hellbent, one way or another.

Walker flipped te cadet over his back onto the mat, before looking up to the other new Precursor recruits and saying, "And that is an over hand flip. Now, pair up and practice.

Smiling out at the few dozen trainees and smiled. He had pulled out of the field shortly after getting married and had started training the next generation of Precursors. He was truly happy for probably the first time in his life, and was finally done dedicating himself to someone else. First the Jackal, and then Dusk. While he was still very good friends with Dusk, he didn't work for him anymore, and that felt good.

Kevin walked into his apartment in the Alleycity and took off his armor and weapons, laying them on his bed before collapsing on the couch. Out of the corner of his eye, he glimpsed a reflective flash in the window and lunged off his couch to the side, just in time to avoid several dozen obsidian shards that pierced through the back of his couch and sliced straight through the air he was sitting moments before.

Behind the chair, an an obsidian double bladed spear in her chair, with the back half seemingly broken and chiiped, cracks running down it, stood a youn woman with a black leather jackal mask over her face. A second later, Kevin realized what the spear was. It was the Jackal's staff.

"Who are you?" Kevin asked, edging towards his guns.

"I'm the Jackals Daughter."

The Tattered One knelt before his altar to his lord. He had thought he was a servant of Death, but he was wrong. He served a greater master. The Defier of Death. The Godstabber. The Eternal Blade. The Lucklord. The Dawnbringer. The Bloodking. The Greatest Slaughterer. The Nightlord. The Poisonblood. The Hellrazer. The one, the only, almighty, godly, Hellbent.

From the edge of the horizon, Dusk saw a wave of light wash towards his city. Before had any time to react, it hit the walls, mutating them into scrap palisade, the towers into rusty slums, the beauty of his creation into the chaos of the strong before the weak. The light struck Dusk, and he changed to reflect his once beautiful city.

Walker glanced to the side once he saw the light, barely being able to turn his eyes in the slightest before it struck him, cast his cadets far and wide, and him farthest of all.

The Daughter pinned Kevin to the ground with her foot, stabbing downwards with her staff, to sever his brainstem. As the blade broke the skin of his neck, the light struck them both, and they too vanished.

The Tattered One saw the light reflected in the altar from far off, and stood up cackling gleefully, "My god has sent deliverance! Thank you Hellbent!"

In a Graveyard hundreds of miles from the Alleycity, lay a crypt, undisturbed, with the head of a canine with a long snout and long ears carved in place of the name of the inhabitant. The blooming light that changed all swept forwards and struck the graveyard, changing names, stones, locations of tombs, even the name of the yard itself. After the light moved past, a small town stood next to the graveyard, completely changed. The crypt with the dogs in place of a name however, was gone entirely.