[OB] I Can't Be the Only One Who...

Ashspren

Ha, this thread is great!

I can't be the only one who thinks so.

I can't be the only one who struggles to create a good magic system that is dissimilar to one of Brandon's.

20 hours ago, Ashspren said:

As a fellow writer, that is my biggest struggle right now... :wacko:

Same, same, same. After learning of Brandon’s Laws, I set to work on a new system. (‘Cause my old ones were softer than a naked chull) and I’m really struggling right now with it. Everything I do is parallel to Investiture in every way. It bothers me.

15 minutes ago, Apollyon said:

Same, same, same. After learning of Brandon’s Laws, I set to work on a new system. (‘Cause my old ones were softer than a naked chull) and I’m really struggling right now with it. Everything I do is parallel to Investiture in every way. It bothers me.

I started a system where people could bond with powers, before realizing that it was basically spren or aethers. Then, there was this other thing I had with people passing powers to other people, and realized that they were basically Vessels for shards...

11 minutes ago, Ashspren said:

I started a system where people could bond with powers, before realizing that it was basically spren or aethers. Then, there was this other thing I had with people passing powers to other people, and realized that they were basically Vessels for shards...

I had the whole spren thing happen, but I realized they were spren after a full two months of fleshing out the system. They were more like Aviar, but whatever. The one I’m on now sounds suspiciously like Ruin had a large part in the making...

9 minutes ago, Apollyon said:

I had the whole spren thing happen, but I realized they were spren after a full two months of fleshing out the system. They were more like Aviar, but whatever. The one I’m on now sounds suspiciously like Ruin had a large part in the making...

I know, right? Same thing happened to me.

I’m hoping that this revised rendition of one of my stories doesn’t seem like Shardblades or Honorblades and just... gaaaah. Why did Sanderson take all of my originality? :P

1 hour ago, Ashspren said:

I know, right? Same thing happened to me.

I’m hoping that this revised rendition of one of my stories doesn’t seem like Shardblades or Honorblades and just... gaaaah. Why did Sanderson take all of my originality? :P

'Twas a shame that the greatest author would be the one to snuff the others out... -Apollyon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic