Ruin's Spren

Perspective

If Ruin were to go to Roshar, then what would it's spren be? I was joking around with my friends when I came up with a spectacular idea. Spikespren. It is like a hamalurgic spike, but instead of being a spike in the Physical Realm, and effecting the person there, it is in the Cognative Realm (it's a spren), and it spikes people and spren there. It would effect the people through the Cognative Realm and if you were to travel to Shadesmar you would see a Spikespren through their flame. Tell me what you think of this amazing theory.

I feel like Ruin would just have a really, really, really determined group of Ashspren. I mean, Dustbringers and their spren are already pretty ruinous, so I feel like Ruin himself would just push something that already existed into overdrive.

13 minutes ago, Slimy_Slider said:

I feel like Ruin would just have a really, really, really determined group of Ashspren. I mean, Dustbringers and their spren are already pretty ruinous, so I feel like Ruin himself would just push something that already existed into overdrive.

Just what we need, compounding Dustbringers :P 

To be honest, though I like the ideas people have come up with, I'm kind of on the idea that each Shard has a spren named after it.

• Honourspren
  • Cultivationspren
  • Odiumspren

Although this is probably because these are the three main Shards on Roshar, I still like the idea that somewhere, there are some Ruinspren and Preservationspren battling, or some Devotionspren or Dominionspren. Each Shard name is a force or emotion, so it makes sense for spren to be named on them, even if they share no connection to the actual Shard.

Who knows, maybe there's even an Adonalsiumspren, though I doubt it.

Edited by I think I am here.

Uh... Spikespren are just normal spikes taken into the Cognitive Realm. (thank you for the excuse to post this WoB) 

Mr. Suit

Can spren - like Syl - be pierced by hemalurgic spike? Will it give some effect?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. A spren can be pierced by Invested metal…

Oversleep

Could it be spiked?

Brandon Sanderson

Could a spike be used to give abilities to spren? That’s not going to work really well.

Oversleep

Could you steal from a spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you could steal the Investiture of a spren. Any Investiture can be used in a spike if you know what you’re doing. It’s actually not that hard to use one on a spren.

Oversleep

Because I thought you said Hemalurgy needs moving blood.

Brandon Sanderson

It needs, uh, yeah… there are places where spren have more physical form, more tangible form.

Questioner

Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

No, no, no, not Roshar.

Questioner

The Cognitive Realm on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, if you go to the Cognitive Realm on Roshar the spren act differently than they do.

Oversleep

So you could spike in the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah I’ll leave a RAFO with you on that. That’s your fifth one. So there are ways to get any Investiture into Hemalurgy if you know what you’re doing. But yeah this is not something that would be a common use for Hemalurgy. Let’s just say that.

Oversleep

We do not concern ourselves with common uses.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, I know you don’t. But yeah Hemalurgy, when you’re spiking into somebody you… you’ll see when we get around to it.

source

Rotspren sounds like somebody Ruin would invest on.

Makes me also wonder what spiked people look like in the cognitive realm of Roshar. If dead shardblades are deadeyes. Like what would hemalurgic spikes even represent

18 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

I think spren of Adonalsium are basically the normal spren not invested by the shards of SA. 

On 7/2/2018 at 2:40 AM, I think I am here. said:

13 hours ago, goody153 said:

I think spren of Adonalsium are basically the normal spren not invested by the shards of SA. 

All Investiture in the Cosmere came from Adonalsium and was 'assigned' to the Shards at the Shattering. Brandon has said that this includes all the spren that were on Roshar at the time, so while you could point to spren that predate the Shards, they're now associated with them rather than being 'of Adonalsium'.

As for the idea of an 'Adonalsiumspren' singular, well, wouldn't that just be Adonalsium? xD Brandon's said that the Rosharans would probably even call Adonalsium a spren if they knew of him because that's how they think of sapient Investiture  Brandon has repeatedly RAFO'd the question of whether Adonalsium left a Cognitive Shadow behind, which is the closest thing we'd really get to a 'spren of Adonalsium'.

8 hours ago, Weltall said:

All Investiture in the Cosmere came from Adonalsium and was 'assigned' to the Shards at the Shattering. Brandon has said that this includes all the spren that were on Roshar at the time, so while you could point to spren that predate the Shards, they're now associated with them rather than being 'of Adonalsium'.

As for the idea of an 'Adonalsiumspren' singular, well, wouldn't that just be Adonalsium? xD Brandon's said that the Rosharans would probably even call Adonalsium a spren if they knew of him because that's how they think of sapient Investiture  Brandon has repeatedly RAFO'd the question of whether Adonalsium left a Cognitive Shadow behind, which is the closest thing we'd really get to a 'spren of Adonalsium'.

I mean not invested by the Rosharian shards (which possible since they didn't really create Roshar like Ruin/Preservation did with Scadrial just occupied). We could actually probably call all spren adonalsium spren

3 hours ago, goody153 said:

I mean not invested by the Rosharian shards (which possible since they didn't really create Roshar like Ruin/Preservation did with Scadrial just occupied). We could actually probably call all spren adonalsium spren

Technically speaking, while the Shards didn't create the spren that were already there, those spren became associated with the Shards so they're now 'of' Honor or (largely) Cultivation. So the pre-Shattering spren aren't really 'Adonalsiumspren' any more. The Stormfather is a great example, he's the embodiment of the highstorms which existed since before the Shattering but he is now very much associated with Honor.

You could technically call all spren 'Adonalsiumspren' in the sense that they are sapient Investiture and all Investiture came from Adonalsum, but it's a meaningless label since we know that the most sapient spren (the honorspren, the cryptics, the highspren etc) didn't exist until the Shards came to Roshar, ie after Adonalsium no longer existed as a discrete entity. Same thing with the Seons and Skaze, which didn't exist until after not only the Shattering but until Devotion and Dominion were splintered by Odium. They're Splinters just like the spren of Roshar and because they're Investiture they're a very tiny piece of Adonalsium, but they also didn't exist before the Shattering.

@Weltall I don't believe that the natural spren of Roshar are limited only to the Shards on Roshar. Yes many of the spren that represent natural phenomena will be largely of Cultivation, but say... Rotspren. There's probably a greater than 50% amount of Ruin there just by their nature.

I think that all of the sapient spren are fully of the resident shards... But per the Autonomy WoBs, there is investiture on Roshar that is aligned with other shards. 

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

Yeah, I didn't mean to discount that so I should have phrased that a bit differently and we have WoB that supports the idea but was mainly seeking to point out that there is no Investiture that's 'purely Adonalsium' and not associated with any of the sixteen Shards.

Absolutely agree. There is no "Adonalsium" any longer because the Shards are Adonalsium. 

Everything split. No exceptions. 

• Chaos locked this topic