Long Game 47: Shadow In The South

Jondesu

Okay, we need to stop this from happening. Every failed lynch puts the village further behind, even lynching a villager gives us information. I'm guilty too, I should have been on at rollover to put a final vote so at least we lynch somebody. From now on I solemnly swear to do my best to make sure someone gets lynched.

I am still out of town at this point, and will not be able to defend myself against suspicion sufficiently. I’ll just wait for the accusations and suspicion to come to a climax before roleclaiming (piece by piece, for I have items as well) in the Day phase.

I’m assuming that the elims don’t want to kill me right now, seeing as I’m an easy lynch target tomorrow. Thus, I’ll start roleclaiming in the Day phase unless there’s a huge lack of posts this cycle—in which case I’ll want to improve my claim’s visibility by posting earlier.

——————

Dorter knew any false move could make him appear suspicious, and thus available for killing. He decided to use the Shadozer, but then remembered he was near a number of shadow-producing trees. In that case, he’d just use the Power Glove to defend himself should he encounter any attacks.

After preparing himself, he went over to the party and explained that he’d have to go scout for a bit.

List of votes/unvotes and proposed reasons:

Araris: Devotary, for defending me D1.

Elandera: CadCom, a poke vote.

Snipexe: Araris, for defending Walin.

Araris: Devotary (unvote) because of realization that I had posted.

Elandera: CadCom (unvote), taking back a poke vote.

Elandera: Ornstein, another poke vote.

Dalinar: Elandera, no given reason.

CadCom: Bort, a poke vote.

Rathm: Mafia. a poke vote.

Snipexe: Araris(unvote), observation of more experienced players' opinions on his vote.

GreenRover: Alvron, poke vote & to see how he defends himself in gibberish

Elandera: Ornstein (unvote), because they will die of inactivity.

Rathm: Mafia (unvote), same reason.

Rathm: Walin, resurrecting lynch C1.

Alvron: Me, for no reason.

Devotary: Walin, to gain information.

Snipexe: Araris, suspicions.

That's all for yesterday, unless I missed some. I don't really have any reads right now, probably related to the fact that there were no lynches the past two days.

Elandera: Walin, suspicions.

Rathm had a sword.  He left it in its scabbard today.  Rath was confused.  He was convinced that Dorder, if not directly behind the assassination of Legolas last night, was a person of interest.  Others had rallied to the cry.  Then he'd been called away.  He didn't remember why, or by whom.  He just remembers looking for Dorder and then suddenly he was eating dinner, getting ready to retire for the night.

Rathm had a sword.  He left it in its scabbard today.

~~

OK, I will definitely be voting for Walin again tomorrow.  The votes generated discussion D1, then resulted in vote manipulation D2.  Unsure what could convince me otherwise, but we need to get a lynch off tomorrow and Walin seems to be the best target at this point.

As they arose in Imladris, safely arrived following the long journey, the companions found themselves well rested but yet restless still, knowing that their danger was no less for being in the realm of Elrond. Findecano in particular was troubled, and rose early to call upon the king. 

Instead, he found a good friend, Narmacil, one who had ridden with the Southrons but had been with the Rangers in the North for some time now. He had quite the tale to tell.

"Two days ago, I captured a goblin lurking at the foot of the misty mountains to the north of here.  I put the fear of my fire into him and he told me a very strange tale to save his skin.  There have been reports among the goblins and orcs that a very tall elf clad completely in black and wielding a black sword has been seen in various places that would indicate that he was coming north.  The last report was from Mirkwood, where it seems that this elf visited the Halls of Thranduil.”

Findecano’s eyes narrowed at this.  He had heard nothing of this visit, which meant Thranduil had been keeping information from him.

“The goblin seemed to be in considerable fear of this elf, and I gathered from his rambling’s that he was slain many orcs on his northward journey, and that he has always seemed to be alone when he has done so.  After branding him on the arm for good measure and warning him to never venture out of the mountains again, I let him go.  Now this news seemed to be noteworthy enough for Master Elrond's ears.  So here I am.”

“Have you heard nothing of this, Findecano?”  Fenerien, one of the elves of Imladris, spoke.

“I have not,” the elf replied, “but Thranduil does not share all of his council."

“Nevertheless there are many wandering elves. Why should this one impress the orc so deeply?”  Fenerien asked.

“The goblin seemed to be in considerable fear of this elf.  He kept muttering ‘the black blade’ repeatedly while I questioned him.”

“The Black Blade?” Glorfindel spoke now, “Might that be....”  Here he trailed off and looked at Fenerien.

“Catholmorn?  The Black Blade of Doriath?  I don’t know, it was rumored that both the blade and its wielder were slain in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, but he marched with the host of Maedhros and no clear accounts ever came back from the sons of Feanor.”

“Darkblade?” Elrond queried, “The one who held the marches for so long with Mablung and Beleg?”

“That is the one.”

“If this is truly him, these are great tidings indeed, I wonder what one so great would be doing to just appear over two ages later?”

“That is the question.”

“Mention this to no one then. Fenerien, see what you can find out about this elf. Narmacil, please remain with us for a few days.”

“I will, the rest will do me good.”

The small group broke up.  Findecano’s thoughts were full. He had not heard of Catholmorn, but if this story was true, what was he doing in the woodland realm?

—————————————————————————————

Elsewhere in the fair realm, Itiah IV and Halve paid a visit to Fade, intending to play a practical joke on the oaf, but fled silently when they discovered a bloody symbol carved on the doors.

The elves of Imladris burned the doors when they discovered the writing for themselves. Fade was buried that evening.

—————————————————————————————

Araris Valerian has been killed. They were a loyal Companion.

Day 3 has begun! It will end at 8PM Eastern on Monday, July 23.

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. Thalin (Fifth Scholar) Prince of Greenwood

2. Elandera (Elandera)

3. Eleyrn (Devotary of Spontaneity)

4. Itiah IV (I think I am here.)

5. wyndlenquardra (Ornstein)

6. Rathm (Rathmaskal)

7. Zunn the Mad (Alvron)

8. Bob the Hobbit (Snipexe)

9. Caddor (Cadmium Compounder)

10. Legless, the alcoholic Elf (Bort)

11. Kadgar (Dalinar Kholin)

12. Fade (Araris Valerian) Companion

13. Suomynona (xinoehp512)

14. Glieven, a Ranger of the North (Mafia)

15. Dorder (Walin)

16. Halve (GreenRover)

gre_1532390400.png

7 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Araris Valerian has been killed.

Pebbles in the lake.  On a hook.  A hook!

I can smell the sun!  With no hat.

Suomynona.  Black trees and thistles.  The mist whispers to me.  What’s in your blood?

Despite hinting that he had a role ~6 hours before the cycle's end, Walin was not killed by the Agents of Mordor. Instead, Araris was killed, quite possibly because of his threat to poison a random minimally active player. If so, this could indicate that the Mordor faction is okay with having inactives use up their antidote or face death. The Agents might all be relatively active, be willing to sacrifice an antidote or two as insurance, or perhaps they just intend to sacrifice animal crackers to the Gods of Luck and Chance and hope for the best.

There were apparently no poison deaths, but it's possible that some players were poisoned with a half dose. As far as I can tell from the rules, such players are unable to communicate unless asked a question and will not die of inactivity even if they never post again for the rest of the game. I would like @Jondesu to re-confirm that, though. 

4 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Despite hinting that he had a role ~6 hours before the cycle's end, Walin was not killed by the Agents of Mordor. Instead, Araris was killed, quite possibly because of his threat to poison a random minimally active player. If so, this could indicate that the Mordor faction is okay with having inactives use up their antidote or face death. The Agents might all be relatively active, be willing to sacrifice an antidote or two as insurance, or perhaps they just intend to sacrifice animal crackers to the Gods of Luck and Chance and hope for the best.

There were apparently no poison deaths, but it's possible that some players were poisoned with a half dose. As far as I can tell from the rules, such players are unable to communicate unless asked a question and will not die of inactivity even if they never post again for the rest of the game. I would like @Jondesu to re-confirm that, though. 

It takes a day to take effect. So if someone was poisoned, they'd die tomorrow night.

Some players will be chosen by RNG at the beginning of the game to carry a poison vial with them. During any night cycle, they may administer the vial to the waterskin of another player. The poison takes a full day to take effect, meaning that player will die the following night if an antidote is not administered.

It's also possible, if they didn't pay attention to action order, they were attempting to keep Araris from being able to poison an inactive. It's possible then that they have an inactive/less active member.

20 minutes ago, Elandera said:

It takes a day to take effect. So if someone was poisoned, they'd die tomorrow night.

Anyone who was poisoned on night 1 would have died last night and been declared dead in this day's writeup.

20 minutes ago, Elandera said:

It's also possible, if they didn't pay attention to action order, they were attempting to keep Araris from being able to poison an inactive. It's possible then that they have an inactive/less active member.

This could well be true. There are enough low-actives that there's a good chance at least one is among the Agents of Mordor.

Edited by Devotary of Spontaneity
missing word

26 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Alvron has voted for me again... *sigh*. That's three cycles in a row. Why?

Black trees and thistles.  The darkness is still waiting for you.

5 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Anyone who was poisoned on night 1 would have died last night

Not tasty.  Moon buckets

14 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Anyone who was poisoned on night 1 would have died last night and been declared dead in this day's writeup

Oh, I misunderstood you the first time. I thought you were still referencing Araris poisoning people last night.

9 minutes ago, Dalinar Kholin said:

Sigh, I'm irritated. Rath. He sent a suspicious pm to me last night. I have strong suspicions that he's evil. @Devotary of Spontaneity . @Elandera @xinoehp512 @Alvron

Could you elaborate a bit more? I have found PMs tend to be really suspicious because both parties can be hesitant to reveal the wrong kind of information for fear of the other person being elim.

Right, now I am back on my proper account and need not fear posting from the wrong one, I can give this game the attention it deserves. Apologies for my lack of activity so far. I'll read through the game so far, and come back later with a vote.

Edited by Bort

16 hours ago, Elandera said:

Oh, I misunderstood you the first time. I thought you were still referencing Araris poisoning people last night.

Could you elaborate a bit more? I have found PMs tend to be really suspicious because both parties can be hesitant to reveal the wrong kind of information for fear of the other person being elim.

So, Rath pm'd me saying that he was suspicious of Walin and Xino from day one. At this point, very similar to the pm he'd sent me from the last long game where he was village. Two things struck me as odd though, 1st, he made a comment about the Hand of Sauron being the ones who tied the lynch day two. Or indicating that it was their fault. It felt like the sort of thing intended to plant suspicions into my mind. Furthermore, when I disagreed that I found nothing suspicious about Walin and Xino, he didn't pursue it any further. Entirely different from his pm's to me in the last long game where he completely tunneled on the same people. I suspect he was trying to sow discord and find information. Sure, I know it's not a lot, but it's something.

@Elandera, @Alvron, @Bort, @Devotary of Spontaneity . Does anyone else have something stronger to vote on? Just trust me on this, it might not be much but it's better than nothing.

23 minutes ago, Dalinar Kholin said:

Two things struck me as odd though, 1st, he made a comment about the Hand of Sauron being the ones who tied the lynch day two. Or indicating that it was their fault. It felt like the sort of thing intended to plant suspicions into my mind.

It was the Hand of Sauron who tied the lynch on day two. There had been three votes on Walin and two votes on Bort at the end of the cycle, but then Rathmaskal's vote was removed, tying the vote. As the Hand of Sauron is the only vote manipulator mentioned in the rules, with the ability to nullify someone's vote, the tie can be blamed on them. I invite @Rathmaskal to comment on the second part of your suspicion.

Rathm had a sword.  It deterred a lot of conversation.  He'd tried to talk to some people about the oddities with the way their mission had gone so far.  He could understand why the enemy would want to kill prince Legolas, but a relative simpleton like Fade?  That made no sense whatsoever.  Perhaps they'd assumed he was hiding an identity, as Legolas had been hiding as Thalin the dwarf.  Most conversations so far had involved a quick greeting, one look at his sword, and then silence.

Rathm had a sword.  It deterred a lot of conversation.

~~

Hey, Dalinar, interesting way to interpret my response.  I was writing a response to you.  Had addressed part of what we were talking about, got called away from my computer and hit send then just never responded to the rest.  Never said I was pulling off my suspicions.  (as is hopefully evident by the way I noted I was going to vote for Walin this cycle...still waiting for this reveal we were promised to see whether that's sufficient for me to no longer be suspicious there...)  Also my comment to Dalinar was something to the effect of (not sure how closely I can come to quoting my own PM in the rules?) I'm suspicious that there was very little discussion until the two of them were brought up for vote.  But counting the two of them and all the voters is almost half the remaining players in the game.  As for my tunneling in the previous game?  In my defense I was right...just had the wrong person...  I don't think I've played this game anything like I've played the previous game.  (That was my first game...after that experience and being involved with the MR30 spec doc I've gotten a bit more comfortable with the way people play around here)

Anyway, until Walin gets a chance to pop in, here's my vote as promised.

Alright everyone, I'm back from my vacation, so I should have time to put together some sort of analysis today, It should come before rollover, but further discussion by others would be great too!

Legless stumbled near silently through the forest with the others. He was confident in their numbers, a good squad of thirty remained, or thereabouts, even with the deaths. He took a swig of his berry brewed wine, remembering the day when Fedder... Fed... Fid?.. the brown wizard who was always high on mushrooms, enchanted the flask for him so it would never run out.

The forest seemed quiet, so he tuned his ears into the conversation the others were having. They were talking in pairs, with each pair saying the exact same thing, at the exact same time! There was something odd going on here. His foggy mind tried to make sense of it all when their words penetrated to his mind.

They were talking about murdering someone! Had he found the killers? By accident? He almost whipped his knife out attacked one of them then and there, but remembered several instances where rushing in without all the info had really not worked well, so he held his peace and kept listening.

Good thing too. They weren't talking about their next murder, not in the traditional sense, at least. They were talking about murdering the murderer they though responsible for the murders, and seemed to think it as that Dorder fellow. As he widened his listening, he realised that this conversation was far more widespread than he thought, with several others suggesting names for people to die. He took a swig of his fine berry wine to brace himself against the crazy.

After listening to the madness for a few hours, Legless finally made his choice. "Immazidin wivvahim," he announced, while waving his jug in the direction of the madman who spoke absolute gibberish. "Amin lukatim. E's touched, heiz. Madnuff t'be th'brown'un'hissel. " He tapped his forehead knowingly. "The'z knoztuff. Soye, killatun." His jug moved to point to Suomynona.

Edited by Bort
Typos

Rathm had a sword.  He couldn't drink out of it.  Rathm heard a slight commotion and saw an elf, barely able to stand, point his jug at the same person the mad man had been obsessed with so far, mumbling something he couldn't really understand, but the implication was clear.

Rathm had a sword.  He couldn't drink out of it.

~~

Had to keep up the RP, even if it wasn't going to be very good.  Just wanted to say I'm a big fan of Legless so far.  Upvoted (also, just noticed that your rank is Kandra, Bort...seems appropriate)

So, We know that someone saved Walin last time, because he had 3 votes on him, but Elan's vote didn't show up in the write up. Which allowed him to live.  After reviewing the roles again, it seems like it is the Hand of Sauron. 

There are a few possible scenarios that I see. The first is that Walin was being protected because they are from the Agent faction. I think that possibility is pretty self explanatory. The second possibility that I see is that they were being protected because the Agents of Mordor don't want the village to get information, and the less lynches there are, the harder it is for the village team. The third possibility, is looking at the time the votes and actions were submitted, it is possible that the Hand of Sauron had put in their action before DoS placed their vote. So the Hand of Sauron wanted a lynch on Bort, because they knew that Bort wasn't of their faction, because of that possibility, I'd be willing to soft clear Bort. 

While I don't necessarily agree that Walin is one of the Elim factions, I think it's best if we can lynch him, to at least start getting information, so: Walin.  

Vote Count so far: 

Xinoehp (2): Alvron, Bort
Alvron (1): Xinoehp
Rathmaskal (1): Dalinar
Walin (3): Rath, Elan, CadCom.

A bit about game mechanics that may have been discussed, but I missed if it was, so I will ask here. 

• There will be three main factions in this game, with possible individual win conditions as well.

• The Companions goal is to eliminate the threats to the success of their mission, both from the Agents of Mordor and from the Gondor Spies. They win when both other factions are eliminated.

• The Agents of Mordor are secretly searching for the disguised wizard Gandalf, as well as the Prince of Greenwood and the Elven Handmaiden. They win if all three are eliminated.

• The Gondor Spies wish to divert the mission to Gondor. To do so, they must eliminate the trustworthy guides and all those who would follow them. They win if they outnumber the other two factions, or if they completely eliminate the Companions as well as the Hand of Sauron.
    •  

•  

Special Roles:

• Mordor Assassin

• Each Agent of Mordor will have access to the Assassin role, except The Hand of Sauron.

• Each night, they may kill a player in his or her sleep, sent via their personal role PM. Only one assassin may work each night, to avoid discovery. If multiple assassination orders are sent via the player’s individual role PMs, they will be alerted to another player active in the camp and will abandon their mission that night to avoid discovery, so none of the kills will be successful.

This is the only kill role that I saw, and they are part of the Agents of Mordor faction. So does that mean that the Gondor spies don't have a kill action, even though their goal is toutnumber the other two factions?

Or do they have a team kill? Based on the game so far, there has only been one kill per night, so that would be the Mordor Assassins. 

That does seem odd that a faction, whose goal is to outnumber the other factions cannot submit any kills. But, then again, Jondesu did say that this game is simple, but deceptively tricky too. 

If it is the case that the Gondor spies don't have a win condition, then their entire goal is to survive. So that brings me to discuss possible numbers of each team. 

There's a total of 16 players from the beginning. 3 confirmed village roles, and 3 confirmed Agent of Mordor roles. (There would have to originally be at least 2 Mordor assassins for it to be necessary to explain that if both go out to make a kill, no kill will be made, plus the Hand of Sauron).

Because the wincon for the Gondor spies would have to be achieved without them having a kill, I would expect a larger than normal team for them. Perhaps 8 companions, 3 agents of Mordor, and 5 gondor spies? Or maybe 9, 3 and 4?

By @Walin

I am still out of town at this point, and will not be able to defend myself against suspicion sufficiently. I’ll just wait for the accusations and suspicion to come to a climax before roleclaiming (piece by piece, for I have items as well) in the Day phase.

With less than 8 hours left in the cycle, it seems like the accusations are at pretty much a climax. Now would be a good time to Role claim. We all know you have an antidote vial. Are you suggesting you also have a bottle of Poison? What about your alignment? Will you give that away?

EDIT: I also just noticed that of the 3 PM's I started D1, two people have been killed. Guys! I'm trying to work on solving the mystery. Please stop killing the people I PM with!

Edited by Cadmium Compounder
Added Walin part.

I’m online for a little bit, and it looks like I’m up for the lunch. Here’s part of my roleclaim: I have a full vial of Antidote. To prove it, if you want to do so before lynching me, and if you’re willing to claim ownership of poison, poison me and I’ll survive.

———

Dorter didn’t have much time, so he clicked on the first option. Somewhat fortunately for him, it was a quicktime choice anyways. Unfortunately, it didn’t look like he picked correctly.