Long Game 47: Shadow In The South

Jondesu

Since we apparently don't get a vote tally I can't be sure, but it would seem the Hand of Sauron decided not to intervene in the lynch. Perhaps they were inactive, or perhaps they didn't care which of the candidates for the lynch died and/or wanted to save their second action for tonight. 

9 minutes ago, Elandera said:

As for this cycle, I suppose I can get the voting started.

It's nighttime, so there isn't any voting.

Eleryn had been given his first fishing knife when he was eight years old. It had a ten centimeter long steel blade with a slight curve and a handle of maple, suited for the filleting of smaller fish. He hadn't been allowed to touch the knife for a week after his birthday though, as his father made him practice the motions with a similarly sized stick. Then, he'd been allowed to practice with the knife for measured intervals under close supervision, cutting nothing but empty air. Finally, three weeks into his ninth year, Eleryn had been allowed to cut into a fish too small to be worth eating. Upon encountering resistance, his hand had slipped, curving the blade downwards into the bone. He tried to tug the knife out, but as stopped by his father's hand on his wrist. Gently, the knife was guided back out of the too-deep cut. His father had flipped the fish over and again guided Eleryn's hand through a smooth cut, shearing the flesh from the bone. Trying again without guidance, Eleryn was able to properly fillet the fish, which was later used as bait.

Several months later, Eleryn accompanied his father on a fishing trip, as he often did. The winds were strong, and the heavy rains of the past week had made the waters of the Morthond rise higher than usual. The weather wasn't poor enough to dissuade the pair from their trip, so off they went in their little boat. After floating around their desired spot for half an hour, Eleryn had felt a slight tug on his line and started to reel in his line, expecting a relatively small fish. Suddenly, the line tautened, and Eleryn felt himself be pulled towards the water, smashing his shins against the side of the boat. His father had wrapped one arm around him, but Eleryn still felt the inexorable tug towards a watery doom. With the other hand, his father had grabbed Eleryn's knife and slashed it across the line, severing it. Pulling Eleryn back to safety, the pair watched as an enormous fish swam away, having swallowed the smaller fish whole. The danger having passed, his father had given Eleryn another lesson. "No object is worth your life. A fish, a line, your rod, even the boat itself can be replaced. You cannot be. Disengage at the first sign the situation is too much for you to handle." Young Eleryn had nodded assent.

As night fell, Eleryn pulled out a knife, the same one he'd had since he'd been eight years old. He'd gotten a new fishing rod after he outgrew the old one, and their old boat had needed to be replaced after years of repair had rendered the wood warped and twisted, but this knife had persisted. Perhaps it wasn't worth his life, but he'd counted on it to help sustain his life for decades. It was too late to disengage from the hazardous trek, but perhaps the blade could sustain his life for a little while longer. Eleryn rested his head on the grassy knoll, blade in hand, and closed his eyes. If any assassins came for him in the night, he might have at least some chance of survival. 

3 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

It's nighttime, so there isn't any voting.

Ahh! I'm so confused right now! For some reason I forgot there were nights in this game. :wacko: I'm just going to go sit in a corner until I can get my ducks in a row.

Rathm had a sword.  He hadn't used it in a while.  There was some commotion during the day in which he'd considered drawing it, but it didn't amount to anything.  That's OK.  Day 1 of the trip was a time for him to watch his companions and get a general idea of what they were capable of.  He'd been impressed by the reaction time of a few of the party when the spider had appeared.  They'd beaten him to the action and been ready to defend the party much faster than he had.  He began to picture the fight as it would have been if he'd been the one to engage.  Parry, thrust, parry, thrust, parry, dodge, roll, lunge, slash.  It would have been an easy fight.  After all, the sword was more than just a tool for him, it was an extension of his hand, his heart, and his head.  A part of him as surely as his nose.  Yes, he could have killed the spider with ease, emerging unscathed as a hero of sorts for the party.  Maybe...a scratch during the fight.  Show that he'd actually been putting something on the line here.  He started the fight over...  Parry, thrust, parry, thrust, parry, parry, lunge, a gash down the back of his left arm here, yes, that would do nicely, parry, slash.  He could feel the sword swaying in the scabbard on his back as he replayed the fight in his mind...the fight he hadn't actually fought.

Rathm had a sword.  He hadn't used it in a while.

~~

Well, that was interesting.  I'd also like to see a final vote tally, but I think we can assume that the Hand stayed quiet since the day ended with a tie (I guess the Hand could have wiped Fifth's vote on Dalinar and that would have still resulted in a tie).  It doesn't look like there would be another possibility of a tie on D1.  NOW, I don't think we can give Walin and Xinoehp a free pass for this - they could still easily be with the Gondor spies, but they do look a little better now.

Also, Devotary, I'm very much enjoying your RP.

Walin, welcome to the game!  (I mention after I shade you a bit...haha)

I am a slight bit interested as to why Araris had such a late (5 minutes prior to rollover) vote switch.

Rathm had a sword.  It wasn't flashy, but it did its job.  He looked up from the end of his dinner as someone seemed to be making a commotion.  *Sigh* another weekend adventurer thumping his chest.  Wasn't that guy here all along?  Just sleeping during the day and now waking up everyone as they tried to settle down for the night?  Rathm started to mentally prepare himself for whatever situation came along where this newcomer's bravado put the party in danger.

Rathm had a sword.  It wasn't flashy, but it did its job.

~~

Welcome Dalinar.  Careful not to wake up the drunken elf over there.

Bob was exceedingly happy that the trip was going well. Even though they had fought that giant spider, everyone was still alive. This was actually starting to get quite exciting. If the whole trip was like this, Bob wouldn’t mind. He might even be home for the autumn festival, and the harvest. As his father used to say, “An adventures an adventure Bob, even if all you do is cook.” Bob started to get out his pots. A nice stew would do for tonight.

Elandera began to wake up after a long night that had followed an even longer day. It had confused her more thoroughly than she'd expexted, but hoped the rest would help.

The first thing she did as she prepared for another day was to check her equipment. She re-strung the bow, and inspected each arrow. She cleaned her knives and made sure they remained sharp - which wasn't much of a problem because they were made by some of the best elven craftsmen.

Elandera was ready. And hopefully would stay aware if what time of day it was. Though that could get difficult in the Mirkwood.

Findecano rose early that morn. Unsettling thoughts had given way to dreams, a rare thing for an elf, and one always meant to be heeded. In secret, he stole over to where he knew his cousin slept, disguised cleverly to avoid his uncle's wrath.

"Legolas, rise. Evil is afoot, I fear."

There was no sound.

He put a hand on his cousin's shoulder and rolled him over lightly, already surprised and fearful since the elf should have awoken immediately.

A song burst forth from his mouth, mournful and strained, as he beheld the dagger in the Prince of Greenwood's chest, the symbol of Mordor etched into the hilt. The fell language was beyond Findecano's skill to read, but he needed not understand it's wording.

Evil had come.

———————

Fifth Scholar has died. They were the Prince of Greenwood.

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. Thalin (Fifth Scholar) Prince of Greenwood

2. Elandera (Elandera)

3. Eleyrn (Devotary of Spontaneity)

4. Itiah IV (I think I am here.)

5. wyndlenquardra (Ornstein)

6. Rathm (Rathmaskal)

7. Zunn the Mad (Alvron)

8. Bob the Hobbit (Snipexe)

9. Caddor (Cadmium Compounder)

10. Legless, the alcoholic Elf (Bort)

11. Kadgar (Dalinar Kholin)

12. Fade (Araris Valerian)

13. Suomynona (xinoehp512)

14. Glieven, a Ranger of the North (Mafia)

15. Dorder (Walin)

16. Halve (GreenRover)

Cycle will end on Friday, July 20 at 8PM EST.

gre_1532131200.png

Edited by Jondesu

Rathm had a sword.  Sometimes it yearned for blood.  When the sun finally poked through the Mirkwood canopy, Rathm could tell there was a commotion at the other side of the camp.  He could tell by the heat of his sword that blood had been spilled.  As he made his way toward the commotion, he could tell by the shock and anger on every elven face he saw that something tragic had happened.  Legolas?  One so blessed with sight should not have been surprised this close to his father's realm.  The sword was hot against his back as he came closer to the body.  Mordor blade.  At least they spared him the agony of forced servitude that could result from being stabbed by a blade like that.  The sword was ringing in his ears as he backed away.  It wanted to be drawn.

Rathm had a sword.  Sometimes it yearned for blood.

~~

Unfortunate indeed.  I guess it's mildly fortunate that Gandalf wasn't the first kill?  haha

Going back to D1/N1 all Fifth did was RP and throw a vote on Dalinar.  I wouldn't imagine either of those would be the reason Fifth was killed (unless Mordor just really hated the RP) so I'm going to assume this one was a mostly random choice unless someone has any better insight.  Also, impressive disguise for Legolas to be able to hide as a dwarf...haha

I'm open for PMs if anyone wants to send one my way.

I'm going to vote on Devotary. Defending an inactive player during a D1 lynch doesn't sit well with me. I understand that Xino was killed D1 in the last QF by random selection, so that gives some small reason to defend him. But we don't really have anything else to go on.

2 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

I'm going to vote on Devotary. Defending an inactive player during a D1 lynch doesn't sit well with me. I understand that Xino was killed D1 in the last QF by random selection, so that gives some small reason to defend him. But we don't really have anything else to go on.

But Xeno wasn't really inactive. They'd only posted once before some of the votes on him, but a lot of people only posted once.

Six posts from four people (now seven posts) in nearly 24 hours. I hope things pick up eventually, because it's hard to get reads on people if now one talks.

I'll throw a poke vote down on @Cadmium Compounder, CadCom. Want to join the party?

--RP--

Elandera walked near the front of the company again, unnerved by the quiet, disturbed by the death from that morning. 

Her Prince had died. She hadn't known him well, but he was her prince. Someone who was supposed to do great things, to become a great leader. 

Instead, he had fallen to an assassin of Mordor. It shouldn't have happened.

Elandera, usually calm, felt a boiling anger grow inside her. Her arrow would strike down the one who had killed her people's hope for a better future.

3 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

Still, if Devotary is village, they shouldn't care who gets lynched D1 all that much.

I chose to lynch a then-inactive over someone who had checked in and promised to post more in the future. My decision was further influenced by the fact that Alvron decided to vote for Xinoehp over Dalinar, which potentially could have been an attempt of a teammate to protect Walin and/or Dalinar. 

I'm not sure why a villager wouldn't care who got lynched D1. Presumably, you had a reason to initially vote for Walin over Dalinar and Xinoehp, then switch your vote to protect Walin. Similarly, Alvron cared enough about the lynch outcome to tie the vote by accusing Xinoehp. While all of these votes indicate an interest in selecting the lynch victim, none of them necessarily mean the voter isn't village-aligned.

4 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

I don’t think I understand your logic. Your saying that Devotary defending an inactive player is not a good thing. But you, by switching your vote from Walin to Xino, were defending a player who hadn’t even posted yet. You had literally no reason to switch your vote, except that Devotary had placed a vote on Xino, likely because they had posted as opposed to Walin who had not

3 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

Still, if Devotary is village, they shouldn't care who gets lynched D1 all that much.

If the village shouldn’t care about who gets lynched, then why change your vote. With your vote left the way it was, Walin would have died. Now this begs the question. Why were you protecting him?

You had no reason to, unless of course, you and Walin were in a doc together and you needed to protect him...araris

Hey, people no hard feelings: I managed to get on in time to save myself, didn't I?:P

Although I am confused about why I was selected for voting on: there seem to have been better candidates.

But I will post again this cycle: you haven't seen the last of me...;)

While I find Araris' vote switch slightly contradictory and odd, it's also pretty well an Araris move, no matter what team he's on. I'm not sure I'm willing to move forward with a lynch on them just yet.

Also, a weird side note, every time I read the title of this thread, Death of a Bachelor pops into my head...

Edited by Elandera

58 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I chose to lynch a then-inactive over someone who had checked in and promised to post more in the future. My decision was further influenced by the fact that Alvron decided to vote for Xinoehp over Dalinar, which potentially could have been an attempt of a teammate to protect Walin and/or Dalinar. 

Similarly, Alvron cared enough about the lynch outcome to tie the vote by accusing Xinoehp.

There is mist in my head.  A snowflake will lie.  In your hand.  And melt.

A little piece of ginger glass!  In a hole in the ground.

43 minutes ago, Cadmium Compounder said:

I'm in Disneyland RN

Ooh, shiny!

39 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Although I am confused about why I was selected for voting on: there seem to have been better candidates.

Skulls are happy.  They always smile.

@Snipexe I was reacting to this statement by Devotary:

I suppose I would support a Walin lynch over Xinoehp.

My opinion was reactionary, rather than based on known alignments, and I tried to make that clear in my original post.

However, I just now picked up on the fact that Xino had already posted earlier. I had thought that Devotary was trying to save someone that hadn't posted at all. Things make a little more sense to me now. Devotary. And sorry @xinoehp512 for voting on you after you had posted.